Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 08:18 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,172,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirux View Post
I wish we could find someone in New York that would take us in for a fee, Someplace safe. We're quiet people and don't drink nor smoke and don't stay out late and are polite.

We're Canadians haha
If you really want to find that type of situation, there are plenty of them. Just go to the NYC site of craigslist, sublets and temporary, and in the maximum rent field, type in $75, or whatever is your per night max. There are plenty of people who sublet out rooms to visitors.

The link to the search I did is here: classifieds - craigslist

Hopefully it will be allowed to stay since it is not a link to a certain ad, but rather a long list of them.

The problem with going this route is that you have less of an opportunity to do an research on the place, meaning that you won't be able to find online reviews of someone's extra bedroom, though... who knows!

There is one that looks nice for $55 a night on the Upper West Side, but I have no personal knowledge of the situation.

If you decide to stay with the hostel - you will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 08:35 PM

15 posts, read 24,170 times
News Update..
Didn't know people rented out rooms to visitors.
I've met a really nice lady by 110 St & Broadway by the university that'll be giving me a place for $70 a night.
Don't even have to give a deposit.. she'll keep the place for when we are there and we just pay per day.
We're really happy as thats kind of a better area and a great view.
Thanks all for the help, next step is to find a map of new york city with all the things to view!

Old 11-07-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If you really want to find that type of situation, there are plenty of them. Just go to the NYC site of craigslist, sublets and temporary, and in the maximum rent field, type in $75, or whatever is your per night max. There are plenty of people who sublet out rooms to visitors.

The link to the search I did is here: classifieds - craigslist

Hopefully it will be allowed to stay since it is not a link to a certain ad, but rather a long list of them.

The problem with going this route is that you have less of an opportunity to do an research on the place, meaning that you won't be able to find online reviews of someone's extra bedroom, though... who knows!

There is one that looks nice for $55 a night on the Upper West Side, but I have no personal knowledge of the situation.

If you decide to stay with the hostel - you will be fine.
I actually looked for fun 2 hours before you mentioned it and met a nice older lady who actually has relatives where I'm from lol. Place includes free internet and free calling between US and Canada and its only $70 a night.
She asked a few questions and we sent a picture and said we are students and she offered it.

New york actually does have people with a big heart.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:47 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,172,221 times
Quote:
I actually looked for fun 2 hours before you mentioned it and met a nice older lady who actually has relatives where I'm from lol. Place includes free internet and free calling between US and Canada and its only $70 a night.
She asked a few questions and we sent a picture and said we are students and she offered it.

Oh good, you worried me. I thought you took the first place you clicked on.

Good luck - hope it works out!

Old 11-07-2009, 08:52 PM

196 posts, read 780,590 times
I second that I grew up in the area also and it is ghetto,take a cab late at night.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:54 PM

edrican,
will be staying in 110 St & Broadway now.
Is that a bit better?

Old 11-07-2009, 09:24 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,449,688 times
110th & Broadway is a better area, being the uppermost border of the Upper West Side. It's more convenient, too, since the #1 train stops right at that location, so you have less of a walk to the subway. Also, you can stroll down Broadway to find any number of bistros, cafes, and restaurants for breakfast, all within a few blocks.

And, Manhattan is easier for those newer to the city to navigate with ease, and as long as you're not too far into Harlem, parts of the Lower East Side, or other areas that might have higher crime rates, there's not as much cause for concern. Still, I would not recommend being complacent just because you're in Manhattan, since Times Square and other areas are targeted by pickpockets due to the numbers of tourists who frequent those areas and who can be easily distracted by the city. Be aware of your person and those around you, and don't be afraid to move away from someone who is too close to you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-07-2009, 09:29 PM

88,763 posts, read 85,156,095 times
Quote:

Lots of them. What a great idea--hope it works out well for you!

Old 11-07-2009, 09:41 PM

939 posts, read 3,388,911 times
Quote:
I've met a really nice lady by 110 St & Broadway by the university that'll be giving me a place for $70 a night.
Just out of curiosity, how did you meet this woman?

Old 11-07-2009, 09:57 PM

Craigslist, umm
I ran a backround check,
She worked for the Time Magazine and if you 411 her number it comes up to her place and to her name
and her name brings up her address. Her facebook account checks out and talked to her on the phone shes a woman in her 40's or 50's.
Will be giving the information to the boarder patrol and my parents just incase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City