Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 04:41 PM

107,044 posts, read 109,362,256 times

Advertisements

and this is why the retirement plan for most americans is work until you cant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 06:37 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,906,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I wouldn't trust Craigslist much. What about health insurance? Dental care? Dry cleaning? Laundry? 1400 in rent will get you a DUMP (if you're lucky).
i wouldn't go so far as to say that it would get him a dump. i just concluded my apt. search and saw quite a few really nice studio apts. for about 1300 - 1500/month, around 85th and 3rd - kinda like the outskirts of the UES but still...

Old 11-04-2009, 07:16 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,004,819 times
That's not the boonies at all. Plenty of action on 3rd and 2nd below 86th. But OP was talking 1-beds, not studios.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:16 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,456,592 times
The reverse commute sounds like a good idea, but the true costs are much more than the Metro-North ticket. Everything in the city is more expensive, not to mention the resident income tax mentioned by the posts before mine. On $60k, that's a very tight budget for Manhattan, since most everything in your daily budget will be at a higher price, including things like hair cuts, food, toiletries, and the like.

Looking at the numbers, if you want to remain in NY, I would look to White Plains for a semblance of an urban experience. The downtown area has developed with taller buildings and some services, but it's a relatively quick Metro-North ride to Manhattan, though to take the train to Stamford, you would need to take a bus to a station on the New Haven Line train as White Plains is on the Harlem Line. You could realistically keep a car in White Plains as well, on your income, and drive to Stamford in 20-30 minutes, though during rush hour you might want to avoid I-95 and take the back way out of White Plains through Purchase to the Merritt Parkway.

The commute from where you're looking on the UES is not easy, as you have to take a bus/subway/walk to either Grand Central Terminal or the 125th St - Harlem station to get the New Haven Line Metro-North to Stamford. It's a relatively long commute, because it's not just the commuter train that is an hour to an hour and ten minutes by itself. Factoring the travel after 125th St or Grand Central, that's easily 1.5+ hours commuting each way. It is really worth the extra commute, higher prices, and diminished rent buying power for the apartment?

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-05-2009, 10:19 AM

1,145 posts, read 3,004,819 times
OP said he lives in Westchester now and hates it.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:55 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,691,578 times
There is a big difference between Westchester in general and White Plains when it comes to living enviornment. The only people I know living in Manhattan on 60k are in shares.

Also - that commute will suck the life out of you. It will be at least 1.5 hours each way on a good day. Where do you work in Stamford? Within walking distance to the train?

I did a reverse commute to Purchase from Brooklyn for a while and hated every living second of it.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:50 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,456,592 times
Parts of Stamford are not a bad option, either, especially if you're close to work, and commute to the city for fun. You get the benefit of affordable rent, and proximity to work, which saves a the fees and toll of commuting. 3 hours a day on a train vs. a few minutes to work, and a train when you need to go to the city seems like a better option. Either that, or see if you can telecommute some days, or transfer to an office in the city, if your company has one, for some of the days in the work week.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-08-2009, 11:46 AM

749 posts, read 2,459,042 times
You can definitely find a good studio for $1400 on the UES nowadays - in nice locations too. It's going to be small, but it won't be a dump. However, I wouldn't even considering living in Manhattan alone until I was making around $80-$100K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City