Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 07:50 PM

7 posts, read 16,657 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move to NYC with our 2 year old. Household income around $250,000. Given that it's NYC, wondering if there are any places that offer a good education and decent place to live. We are currently in central Connecticut, but don't want to do over a 30 mins commute. Are there decent public schools? Kid friendly? Any thoughts/recommendations? Even tips on sites to search welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 08:19 PM

745 posts, read 1,440,887 times
I was plug the Hudson Heights neighborhood. Probably worth a look for you. It is a section of Washington Heights above 181st, W of Bway. Lots of kids up here, nice neighborhood and while it is VERY North.... it is still actually Manhattan. I have heard that P.S. 187 is good and your 250K is MORE than enough to get by in these parts.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:29 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,193,560 times
Where are you commuting to within NYC? That can make a big difference in terms of which areas people might suggest. i.e. 30 minutes to the UN or 30 minutes to Wall St.?

Old 10-04-2009, 09:15 PM

7 posts, read 16,657 times
30-45 mins into Wall St.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:24 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,315,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBLITTLE349 View Post
My husband and I are looking to move to NYC with our 2 year old. Household income around $250,000. Given that it's NYC, wondering if there are any places that offer a good education and decent place to live. We are currently in central Connecticut, but don't want to do over a 30 mins commute. Are there decent public schools? Kid friendly? Any thoughts/recommendations? Even tips on sites to search welcome!
In all honesty, its kind of insulting to the average NewYorker and any citizen for that matter, calling 250k average when most families dont even see close to 100k.
With the exception of Beverly Hills, Star Island, and other super wealthy areas, you will be fine on that payday in most parts of the country, even the ever pricey NYC.

However, be warned, that in NYC, even in pretty good neighborhoods (ie,Midtown, Downtown Brooklyn), most of the public middle schools and high schools are gladiator academies, so start prepping your little one now!!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:08 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,556,112 times
It really depends whether this person is looking to buy or rent. $250,000 should be enough to allow pretty comfortable living. Although NYC has become a place where people can never have too much money.

The outrageous prices are all caused by the constant demand of people who want to live here mainly because this city offers good employment opportunities. I had left NYC for a few years and was in South Carolina where the cost of housing grass was a lot greener (beautiful homes for very reasonable prices) but the employment opportunities making decent money was very difficult to come by. In the end the lessons that I have learned is that no place is perfect, there is always a trade off.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:10 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,751,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
In all honesty, its kind of insulting to the average NewYorker and any citizen for that matter, calling 250k average when most families dont even see close to 100k.
With the exception of Beverly Hills, Star Island, and other super wealthy areas, you will be fine on that payday in most parts of the country, even the ever pricey NYC.

However, be warned, that in NYC, even in pretty good neighborhoods (ie,Midtown, Downtown Brooklyn), most of the public middle schools and high schools are gladiator academies, so start prepping your little one now!!
THANK YOU.

i feel like Mod cut: languageright now. bout to go play the lotto in hopes of feeling adequate one day. thank you, OP.
maybe one day i can have the type of money so that i can say crazy stuff like having six figures is "average."

Last edited by Viralmd; 10-05-2009 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 10-05-2009, 03:40 PM

129 posts, read 389,127 times
I wouldn't call 250K average, but its not a ton of money for NYC, especially the more desirable parts.

Are you looking to rent or buy? Renting you should be fine with that income..Buying - depends on what you have to put as a down payment...Family size apartments in the neighborhoods you'd probably like start at over $1M and can easily go much higher...PLUS monthly common charges, etc

I'd look into Battery Park City...

Old 10-05-2009, 05:02 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,315,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK->CDG View Post
Uh, many parts of Manhattan are more expensive than Beverly Hills, especially ones with/close to good schools. West Village is more expensive than Beverly Hills, for instance.

In all honestly, $250,000 is good but sounds average for a Manhattan family. She more than likely will not struggle, but that's hardly swimming in money.

$250,000, especially with a toddler is not that much, especially in the most expensive city in the United States. Things add up quickly.
Ok, the only families I know that struggle or should we do not live comfortably on 250k are those who enjoy unneccessay excesses such as taking 4 to 5 pricey vacations a year, putting kids in private school, those who give 1500 or so a month to a church, those who have a ton of kids, or if one of the parents is paying child support or alimony to an ex.
Only 2 to 3% of the American households clear 250 K per year. You say average for a Manhatten family, I know many folks in Harlem and Washington Heights that do not see that kind of bread. Neither do many of those who live on the Lower East side, Alphabet City or the CHelsea area.

The average home in beverly Hills is 2 to 3 million and the average household income there is 80k. I swear if u ride through that area, u would think poverty has been extinguished.

And where are these good schools your talking about. You'd be hardpressed to find 15 schools in NYC with a graduation rate over 50. A lot of those schools that are in Good AReas (midtown, Upper east Side) are poor perfoming schools with terrible behavior year in and year out and some have even been closed. I'm talking MLK, Park West, Norman Thomas, Brandeis, the list goes on

Old 10-05-2009, 05:06 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,193,560 times
Let's just remove the word "average" from the original post and get on with answering the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City