Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 01:34 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,387,390 times

Advertisements

I'm checking out some jobs I think I would be interested in pursuing after college and want to make sure the college I go to offers courses in that field.

The Civil/Environmental Engineering, Engineering Geology, etc. type of occupations interest me. Depending upon the actual specification I choose, I can possibly start around $79k-$87k per year and after 5 years I can hopefully make around $96k per year.

I will most likely be single or at least not married with a family when I first start my career and I want to be living in NYC. Places such as TriBeCa and SoHo are obviously out of the question, but could I live comfortably with that salary in a studio or 1 bedroom in a place such as the LES, Hoboken, or Williamsburg? Those are the three areas I think would be the most logical for me.

And if anyone comes back saying that I can just search that, I wasn't able to find people with that exact salary range wanting to move to the same areas.

Thank you for any help and maybe one day I can help design your city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 02:21 PM

82 posts, read 254,672 times
You could definitely afford to live in the LES on that salary, assuming that you live a reasonably priced lifestyle. Good luck!

Old 09-13-2009, 06:02 PM

Okay good. Thanks.

So I figure rent for a studio or small 1 bedroom will be about $2k a month there in about 5 years right? Or will it be more? And I won't be paying for car insurance, payments, or gas so I will save money there, but my basic goods and food and rent will be more so it prolly evens out.

Also, my parents completely disagree with this career path and hope I fail at it so they won't help me make any decisions or give me any insight as to what the real world is like. Do you know about how much I would actually end up bringing in after taxes? I know New York state has the highest taxes in the country and that NYC's are pretty high, but IDK anything about how taxes work. I read that NYC's taxes are 12.62% now and New York state's taxes are high. So does that mean that over 20% of my roughly $85k will go to taxes?

I know I can look up the average income in NYC, but that is not my whole question. How much do people on this forum living in NYC make and do you live comfortably?

Last edited by jessemh431; 09-13-2009 at 06:11 PM..

Old 09-13-2009, 06:50 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,857,979 times
Paycheck City -- be sure to check the box that says you're a NYC resident.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:07 PM

217 posts, read 922,959 times
I'm an engineer living in New York City. The salaries you quote *may* be accurate - but, judging from your posts, you're entering college now. Civil engineers do well enough for the profession and there is an enormous amount of work to be done, despite the recession. You will need to get your P.E. license before the "big bucks" come in and that you would normally take NLT 4 years after graduation - with no breaks from working. Note: you have plenty of time to learn about what's required for a PE; ask your professors. Work hard, etc.

Caveat emptor: the finance people make a lot more than engineers, as do the lawyers and the engineers, like at least 2-3X as much. Still, if you're drawn to the profession, you'll do well.

Taxes in NYC: you might as well figure that you'll be paying about 40% of your gross salary in taxes - state, local, federal, some dude named FICA, etc. As far as living in the city, it's very difficult at first unless you're independently wealthy. See how it goes at college, you'll collect roommates and figure it out, though.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis_Nevins View Post
I'm an engineer living in New York City. The salaries you quote *may* be accurate - but, judging from your posts, you're entering college now. Civil engineers do well enough for the profession and there is an enormous amount of work to be done, despite the recession. You will need to get your P.E. license before the "big bucks" come in and that you would normally take NLT 4 years after graduation - with no breaks from working. Note: you have plenty of time to learn about what's required for a PE; ask your professors. Work hard, etc.

Caveat emptor: the finance people make a lot more than engineers, as do the lawyers and the engineers, like at least 2-3X as much. Still, if you're drawn to the profession, you'll do well.

Taxes in NYC: you might as well figure that you'll be paying about 40% of your gross salary in taxes - state, local, federal, some dude named FICA, etc. As far as living in the city, it's very difficult at first unless you're independently wealthy. See how it goes at college, you'll collect roommates and figure it out, though.
I guess those are abbreviations I'll learn in college. Haha.

And what do you mean about the finance people, lawyers, and egineers making 2-3x as much as engineers?

I wouldn't mind renting with a good friend from college until I work my way up the corporate ladder and save enough to live on my own. I'll do anything necessary to live in NYC.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Paycheck City -- be sure to check the box that says you're a NYC resident.
That seems scary. With $85k per year I would be bringing in somewhere in the $50k's. Is that right? How much lower are taxes in Hoboken since it's in NJ?

Old 09-14-2009, 10:02 AM

120 posts, read 439,286 times
wow, you're not even in college yet and you're researching salaries? i'm impressed with your foresight!
just be aware that what you think you want to do now, is most likely not what you will want to do upon graduation, or even 5 yrs after graduation. even when you start your career - most ppl these days change jobs about seven times.

above all - do not let money be the #1 factor in choosing what you want to do and where you live. try different things - you'll most likely find out what you want to do by discovering what you don't want to do.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:33 PM

Well I've always had a passion to do something along those lines and if I die before living NYC, I feel as though my life was wasted. LOL.

Coming from LA, I will admit I'm kinda materialistic so being able to have spending money and being able to pay for necessities in NYC is very important.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:24 PM

217 posts, read 922,959 times
Quote:
I guess those are abbreviations I'll learn in college. Haha.

And what do you mean about the finance people, lawyers, and egineers making 2-3x as much as engineers?
P.E. = registered Professional Engineer. It's a State-regulated credential you need to practice engineering. Typically, you're allowed to take the test after working 4 years. Companies will not promote you past a certain point unless you pass the P.E. exam. FICA is social security.

2-3x = "two to three times" as in multiplication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City