Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 07:32 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,382,254 times

Advertisements

Oh ok.

And I know what 2-3x means, but why would the finance people, lawyers, and engineers make more than egineers? Haha. Or did you mean in general, not related to that type of engineering, all lawyers and finance people make more? I know that. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 09:37 PM

335 posts, read 748,364 times
Your barely going to be able to support yourself on 80,000..... >_>

Old 09-14-2009, 11:11 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,382,254 times
Even alone?

The other career path I'm looking at is a Nurse Anesthitist. I know a nurse sounds kinda odd for a male, but it provides what I'm looking for in a medical career with much less stress than an actual doctor, yet I read that the average salary in NY is around $180k and starting around $130 or $140. Should I go for that since I do consider myself materialistic and do want to be able to afford a family in NYC? I just have no idea about the outrageous cost of living in NYC. I know it's high in LA, but it's even worse there. If someone asked me if they could survive single in LA on $80k I would say of course, so I guess NYC is much more expensive.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:23 AM

749 posts, read 2,458,444 times
$80K will afford you a comfortable lifestyle outside of Manhattan or in Manhattan with roommates. For a single person, I'd say that's about middle class - but New York middle class is basically like being a millionaire because you're living in the greatest city in the world.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:17 AM

9,251 posts, read 24,114,074 times
If you insist on living in Manhattan you will pay the price..much higher cost of everything,not just rent. But even then,you can live fairly comfortably on $80,000 in a small apartment or with roommates.

Once outside of Manhattan ,a single person can live very comfortably on $80,000.

Living in most parts of Brooklyn,Queens,The Bronx or S.I. is no more expensive(and can be less expensive) than living in LA,SF,D.C, Boston or any other desirable city.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:04 AM

120 posts, read 439,154 times
$80K in Manhattan is comfortable. Here's a brief idea of what to expect w/ $80K:

You'll be able to afford:
- $4250 net monthly income
- save 10%-15%
- max $2K apt (nice studio in a good area)
- $1500-$1800 left for food, entertainment, utilities (this is plenty for 1 person)

you won't be living in luxury - but you'll be enjoying manhattan and living comfortably.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:07 AM

120 posts, read 439,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Even alone?

The other career path I'm looking at is a Nurse Anesthitist. I know a nurse sounds kinda odd for a male, but it provides what I'm looking for in a medical career with much less stress than an actual doctor, yet I read that the average salary in NY is around $180k and starting around $130 or $140. Should I go for that since I do consider myself materialistic and do want to be able to afford a family in NYC? I just have no idea about the outrageous cost of living in NYC. I know it's high in LA, but it's even worse there. If someone asked me if they could survive single in LA on $80k I would say of course, so I guess NYC is much more expensive.
you can figure that rent + car expenses in LA = rent in Manhattan. Since you don't need a car in Manhattan, that can be a wash. Food/entertainment does cost more in Manhattan - but there's so much more diversity and range of things to do in Manhattan ranging from free to super expensive - you can almost make any budget work for you.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:26 AM

203 posts, read 665,823 times
Lawyers do not necessarily make 2 to 3 times more money than engineers. (only those in the big law firms). I don't know why your parents don't like the field you're going into...it is much better than going into law (generally speaking)
As for $80K, you can live in NYC for that amount...whether you are a big spending in terms of entertainment and other stuff is a different question.
Also, you will have just graduated from college...nothing wrong with having a roomate so you can have extra spending money and to save...

Old 09-15-2009, 01:50 PM

650 posts, read 1,814,431 times
I graduated from an engineering school with many civil engineering friends, and almost none of them make the salary range you predicted as an entry level. Their entry level starting salaries were 40-60k and that was when the economy was good.

So the sad reality of it is, you may not make as much as you think. Not unless you're going to an ivy league and graduating with high grades.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:36 AM

295 posts, read 1,506,789 times
Default bad reason for going into medicine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Even alone?

Money is a bad reason to go into the medical field... as with engineering, it is a long process and should be reserved to those who are truly devoted...not as a back-up because engineering doesn't pay enough. First one has to become and RN and work in critical care nursing for at least a year...and THEN enter the CRNA program (2-3 yrs).

There are PLENTY of male CRNAs... but I would not call it low stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City