Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2009, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,491 times

Advertisements

Before I make the jump I need to do some research, I want to move to NYC sometime in the near future. I was an branch operation officer and I've 12yrs of investment banking but mainly in the support unit for back and middle office department. I've been looking on the job boards and the demand for that certain jobs is still in demand. I know NYC is the biggest financial hub globally and there's no shortage of banks there. But recently, due to the economic turmoil and the problems with banking sector etc, not sure how's the job market there in NYC, especially for the banking industry. Is the pay good for banking personnel there?

I don't mind to commute probably from NJ to get to work to NYC and rides the train etc.. is it a good time to move to NYC now with givent with all these volatile economic downturn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 12:49 AM

749 posts, read 2,457,462 times
I don't recommend moving here until you've secured a job. It's common sense, there's 10s of thousands of people that lost their jobs with all the huge investment banks folding, merging and cutting expenses so you're up against highly qualified people that are pretty much willing to take anything within the finance industry now since their old jobs ain't coming back.

Normally, I would say come to New York, take a calculated risk and try your luck at landing a job, but nowadays when it's not uncommon to see businessmen wearing cardboard signs begging for any job all over the city, it's probably not worth the risk.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:22 AM

85 posts, read 334,086 times
Default Trust me - No jobs in banking! period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianOKie View Post
I was an branch operation officer and I've 12yrs of investment banking but mainly in the support unit for back and middle office department. I've been looking on the job boards and the demand for that certain jobs is still in demand. I know NYC is the biggest financial hub globally and there's no shortage of banks there. But recently, due to the economic turmoil and the problems with banking sector etc, not sure how's the job market there in NYC, especially for the banking industry. Is the pay good for banking personnel there?
Where do you see the demand for these jobs? Take it from me, there are very very few jobs in banking and finance that pay well in NYC today. On the other hand if you want to "downgrade" to lower level positions, sure quite a few may be availabe. But, after all your experience you don't really want to work as a Teller or Customer Service agent do you?

Old 08-30-2009, 09:00 PM

186 posts, read 428,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
I don't recommend moving here until you've secured a job. It's common sense, there's 10s of thousands of people that lost their jobs with all the huge investment banks folding, merging and cutting expenses so you're up against highly qualified people that are pretty much willing to take anything within the finance industry now since their old jobs ain't coming back.

Normally, I would say come to New York, take a calculated risk and try your luck at landing a job, but nowadays when it's not uncommon to see businessmen wearing cardboard signs begging for any job all over the city, it's probably not worth the risk.
Well said.

I recently relocated to Manhattan for work, however it was an internal transfer to my bank's affiliate in NYC. I was (and am) very fortunate to work for a bank that did not participate in the same types of business and products as the larger (now tarp money) banks. Over the past several months our particular group has actually hired several people who were let go from other i-banks...but we are pretty much done hiring for now. In the process of me integrating with the new position, I have gone through several training courses with the newly hired group. All of the trainers have been saying the same thing...their business is extremely slow this summer because of no new hires at most other banks.

Like it's been said previously, I would try to either secure a position first, even if its with operations, before jumping the gun and moving to NYC. The competition is very intense right now. Many of the people who have faced recent lay-offs have further decided to move out or get their MBA, etc. So, when things start to recover in 2010, the competition might be fiercer than ever. That said, the whole financial landscape is changing dramatically and probably will continue to change for the worse through 2012...the fat-cat i-banking heyday is well over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City