Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:20 AM

6 posts, read 21,086 times

Advertisements

We're going to relocate from CA to NY. My husband will be working in Manhattan. We have a 3 year old so parks, schools and childcare are important factors. We want easy commute to Manhattan. I've been reading about Astoria. Mixed reviews. Can we get a house to rent? We want to pay no more than$5,000 a month for a 3 bedroom. We have tons of stuff so we were hoping places have garages or is that unheard of. If not Astoria can you recommend another place.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 11:55 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,987,809 times
Astoria Park is very big, and would be great for your child. Also, the schools in the area are very good. The commute to Midtown is about 15 minutes on the N/W train, so no worries there. There are some houses that have garages, but I would say that most of them don't. Do you have a car? It sounds like you're just trying to store your stuff.. I really don't know the housing market, but you can probably fit stuff in your basement if you manage to get a house. The problem with most of the houses in the area is that the owners aren't willing to give them up, so it might be difficult to find one. Good luck!

Old 08-25-2009, 01:42 PM

We're undecided to keep our cars. If we have a car do we have to have it in a garage in the winter so we don't have to shovel the snow off?

Old 08-25-2009, 02:14 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,840,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlyb. View Post
We're undecided to keep our cars. If we have a car do we have to have it in a garage in the winter so we don't have to shovel the snow off?

I parked my car in my drive way for 7 years in Cleveland in the winter. Cleveland gets on average 15 million feet of snow. Shoveling off your care is no big deal. The driveway on the other hand was such a pain especially if it wasnt plowed. I think the least of ur worries should be if you need to brush off your car.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:28 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,394,482 times
Astoria has a lot of nightlife and restaurants...some parts could get noisy @ night. I don't live there and I could be biased b/c I'm not an Astoria fan but I know they have a lot of bars there...including beer garden which can get pretty packed. It's a lot of young people as well....b/c it'c cheap, a lot of young 20-somethings are moving there. I don't know all parts. There could be a "family/quiet part"...i am just basing this on what I know about Astoria and the parts I have been to.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:32 PM

43,706 posts, read 44,473,033 times
In NYC some people rent storage space if they don't have space in their apt. for some of their stuff.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:38 PM

11,308 posts, read 18,913,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I parked my car in my drive way for 7 years in Cleveland in the winter. Cleveland gets on average 15 million feet of snow. Shoveling off your care is no big deal. The driveway on the other hand was such a pain especially if it wasnt plowed. I think the least of ur worries should be if you need to brush off your car.
And on average NYC only gets about 1/3 the annual snowfall of Cleveland.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the clarification on the snow. I definitely want to stay away from the clubs.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:22 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,840,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
And on average NYC only gets about 1/3 the annual snowfall of Cleveland.

I kno thats why if weak little me could brush their car off every morning before high school in the artic tundra, then someone here should
not have a problem. thats what i was trying to get at.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:34 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,311,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Astoria has a lot of nightlife and restaurants...some parts could get noisy @ night. I don't live there and I could be biased b/c I'm not an Astoria fan but I know they have a lot of bars there...including beer garden which can get pretty packed. It's a lot of young people as well....b/c it'c cheap, a lot of young 20-somethings are moving there. I don't know all parts. There could be a "family/quiet part"...i am just basing this on what I know about Astoria and the parts I have been to.
Most of Astoria is "family/quiet." The nightlife is all concentrated on just a couple of streets and believe me, it's not that noisy. Just don't live right above the beer garden. Along 31st St. you'd have bigger problems with the elevated subway noise than any nightlife noise.

Practically the whole area north of the BQE (except the immediate beer garden/31 St area) is family-friendly, particularly near Astoria Park, where there are block upon quiet block of rowhouses and no noise to speak of.

The big question I have, which isn't clear from the thread, is if you've made the conscious decision to live within New York City with the NYC schools, etc. There are plenty of good things to be said for it, but there's a bit of a city/suburb dichotomy in the Northeast that may not be as strong where you're coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City