Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:17 AM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32 View Post
Also as a direct response to the OP again, dyckman and grant are both wild.

Grant is gigantic and I'm sure some buildings are better than others but as a whole they're pretty bad.

Smith houses I know to be bad also, despite their ideal location.

You should try Hope Gardens in Bushwick as they're probably the best projects in the city, but they have a long waiting list, as do all of NYCHA developments and it's almost kind of futile to suggest which projects to move into as they don't really let you pick and choose.
sorry but i beg to differ i have been to grant hundreds of time all hours of day and night and i have never felt not safe at all. and hope gardens in bushiwck is far from the best....the best would have to be prolly in smith clymer in willamsburg....where are u getting this info? the surrounding neighborhood in hope gardens is crap...nowhere in bushwick is desirable im sorry...grant isnt even that big....if u call grant gigantic you've never been to edenwald, red hook, edgemere, pomonok, or any "gigantic" NYCHA development.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 10:56 PM

4 posts, read 27,265 times
Default hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
hope this helps
what does rehab mean

Old 03-08-2010, 05:42 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caramelthigh718 View Post
what does rehab mean
They fixed the buildings... or "rehabilitated" them.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 11,913 times
I live in NYCHA and love the low rent but hate all the crap like pee always in the elevator. I'm embrassed to tell people I live in the projects. Not to mention a lot of people don't work and are of little pride.. LOVE the UPW hood but hate the City building and knowing that the city owns my housing situation in there hands..

Old 05-06-2010, 07:20 AM

2 posts, read 13,813 times
Can anyone tell me about wise towers in manhattan on 91st street?

Old 06-07-2010, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,880 times
wow i live in the projects in arverne and i was looking to transfer to manhattan for location but after reading this i may just stay out here its clean safe if u mind ur business the only thing is if u dont have a car its annoying as hell to be out here only one train which barely works.....what would be the best developmnt in manhattan??

Old 06-07-2010, 03:21 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaistina View Post
Hello all my husband and I have decided to apply for public housing. We were looking for relatively safe developments (my husband's job has him coming home late after 11pm some nights during the week) in Manhattan and Brooklyn less than an hour away (if possible) from my husband's job near Columbus circle in Manhattan.

I have been doing some research on the housing developments and combined with the comments I have seen on threads in this forum i have compiled a list of possible developments we would like to apply for.

If possible I would like some opinions on my list as to whether or not the developments I have picked are safe and also if there are any others that I am missing that I can add to or delete from my list. Thank you in advance for your help.

Manhattan Developments
Carver Houses
Douglass Houses
Dyckman Houses
Grant Houses
Harlem River Houses
La Guardia Houses
Smith Houses
Washington Houses

Brooklyn Developments
Carey Gardens
Cooper Park Houses
Gowanus Houses
Independance Towers
Marlboro Houses
Nostrand Houses
Sheepshead Bay Houses
Taylor-Wythe Houses
Williamsburg Houses
Wyckoff Gardens
Atlantic Terminal
572 Warren St.

Thank you again for you help.
i live in brooklyn and i will tell ya which ones are trash , and good.

carey gardens like all the projects in coney island are trash.

cooper park houses arent so bad that a good choice.

gowanus projects are trash even worse then red hook.

independance towers are good that could be another choice for you.

malboro projects arent so bad nice choice.

nostrand houses, and sheepshead houses are basically the same development on the same blocks , and to my opinion its 50/50 but closer on the bad side.

taylor - wythe are good. nice choice.

williamsburg houses are cool

wycoff gardens is just as trash as gowanus all in the same area.

572 is a building right next to wycoff since its a building their arent so many stories about it , but im guessing it is trash with its next door neighbor wycoff gardens.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:50 PM

1 posts, read 4,306 times
Okay so listen my father used to work for the NYCHA not too long back and my uncles and aunts still are current employers with the NYCHA. Besides that my good buddies lives right next to Marlboro projects so I can definitely give you an unbiased opinion on which projects are: 1.good 2.heads up and 3.bad. So out of the ones you've mentioned below I'll let you know first then I'll give you opinions on a few more in Manhattan that you've missed that are good as well.

Manhattan Developments
Carver Houses- (Harlem It's Spanish Harlem. its Bad folks, they haven't cleaned up much after Guliani. Bad
Douglass Houses- (Harlem) This is west side of Harlem not to far from central park and A huge park so I'd say heads up here
Dyckman Houses (Washington Heights)- Bad No questions this is all the way up in Washington Heights. Grimey in fact.
Grant Houses- (Harlem-Morniside Heights) Bad, don't let it fool you. My uncle is a doctor who works at Colombia University Hospital and he tells me once it goes dark out, its def not safe out.
Harlem River Houses- (Harlem) I'd say bad amid other housing projects like Dunbar houses and the Polo Grounds Your in the hood.
La Guardia Houses (LES)- I'm saying Good, Your in the Lower East Side. Amongst chinese people they've taking over a few of those projects there. I'm saying Good
Smith Houses- (LES) Again good, Your technically in china town so there are quite a few Asains.
Washington Houses- (Harlem) These are very close to the Carver houses 3rd ave. side is better then the 2nd ave. side. The more East you go the worst I'd say in my opinion. Bad
You should check out Amsterdam Houses on the West 61st area. Those are good also John Haynes Towers good as well.

Brooklyn Developments
Carey Gardens (Coney Island) Bad no questions. Coney Island projects are not good.
Cooper Park Houses (Williamsburg/Greenpoint) It's definitely a secluded housing facility in the middle of a gentrified area. A few blocks away it turns very nice so. I'd say btw. heads up and bad.
Gowanus Houses (Boerum Hill/Gowanus) Bad. Although the area around it is nice those projects are def bad.
Independance Towers (Willamsburg) Good. your in an exclusive neighborhood in Brooklyn. A lot of Jewish people in the neighborhood.
Marlboro Houses (Gravesend/Coney Island) Bad but they are getting better, this place had cleaned up a lot over the years especially with the development of the Coney Island boardwalk in the works
Nostrand Houses( Sheepshead Bay) Directly next to Sheepshead Houses. Im going to have to go with heads up because although there a bunch a building next to each other the area around it is sheepshead which isn't bad
Sheepshead Bay Houses (Sheepshead Bay) Directly next to Nostrand Houses Heads up same as above.
Taylor-Wythe Houses(Williamsburg) These are the Independence Towers its just another name for it. Good Nonetheless
Williamsburg Houses(Williamsburg) Good.
Wyckoff Gardens (Boerum Hill/Gowanus) Heads up. the area around it is not bad.
Atlantic Terminal ??
572 Warren St. ??

Read more: [url]https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-york-city/730023-nycha-developments-manhattan-bklyn-2.html#ixzz1a9qT7qzZ[/url]

Old 10-08-2011, 04:57 AM

573 posts, read 1,462,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makecapitol101 View Post
Okay so listen my father used to work for the NYCHA not too long back and my uncles and aunts still are current employers with the NYCHA. Besides that my good buddies lives right next to Marlboro projects so I can definitely give you an unbiased opinion on which projects are: 1.good 2.heads up and 3.bad. So out of the ones you've mentioned below I'll let you know first then I'll give you opinions on a few more in Manhattan that you've missed that are good as well.

Manhattan Developments
Carver Houses- (Harlem It's Spanish Harlem. its Bad folks, they haven't cleaned up much after Guliani. Bad
Douglass Houses- (Harlem) This is west side of Harlem not to far from central park and A huge park so I'd say heads up here
Dyckman Houses (Washington Heights)- Bad No questions this is all the way up in Washington Heights. Grimey in fact.
Grant Houses- (Harlem-Morniside Heights) Bad, don't let it fool you. My uncle is a doctor who works at Colombia University Hospital and he tells me once it goes dark out, its def not safe out.
Harlem River Houses- (Harlem) I'd say bad amid other housing projects like Dunbar houses and the Polo Grounds Your in the hood.
La Guardia Houses (LES)- I'm saying Good, Your in the Lower East Side. Amongst chinese people they've taking over a few of those projects there. I'm saying Good
Smith Houses- (LES) Again good, Your technically in china town so there are quite a few Asains.
Washington Houses- (Harlem) These are very close to the Carver houses 3rd ave. side is better then the 2nd ave. side. The more East you go the worst I'd say in my opinion. Bad
You should check out Amsterdam Houses on the West 61st area. Those are good also John Haynes Towers good as well.

Brooklyn Developments
Carey Gardens (Coney Island) Bad no questions. Coney Island projects are not good.
Cooper Park Houses (Williamsburg/Greenpoint) It's definitely a secluded housing facility in the middle of a gentrified area. A few blocks away it turns very nice so. I'd say btw. heads up and bad.
Gowanus Houses (Boerum Hill/Gowanus) Bad. Although the area around it is nice those projects are def bad.
Independance Towers (Willamsburg) Good. your in an exclusive neighborhood in Brooklyn. A lot of Jewish people in the neighborhood.
Marlboro Houses (Gravesend/Coney Island) Bad but they are getting better, this place had cleaned up a lot over the years especially with the development of the Coney Island boardwalk in the works
Nostrand Houses( Sheepshead Bay) Directly next to Sheepshead Houses. Im going to have to go with heads up because although there a bunch a building next to each other the area around it is sheepshead which isn't bad
Sheepshead Bay Houses (Sheepshead Bay) Directly next to Nostrand Houses Heads up same as above.
Taylor-Wythe Houses(Williamsburg) These are the Independence Towers its just another name for it. Good Nonetheless
Williamsburg Houses(Williamsburg) Good.
Wyckoff Gardens (Boerum Hill/Gowanus) Heads up. the area around it is not bad.
Atlantic Terminal ??
572 Warren St. ??

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...#ixzz1a9qT7qzZ
carver is bad?? i know somebody who used to live right next to them and said it was livable

Old 10-08-2011, 06:43 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
In addition to considering these developments, remember the new 80/20 rule. Many newly built residential buildings are 80% market rate and 20% affordable. Of course, its competitive to get into that 20%, and it requires extensive research but many people have been quite happy acquiring these units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City