Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:49 PM

34,221 posts, read 47,837,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDK94 View Post
your making it like thats the only luxury condo in that area.

it is....the other 2 condos, at 49 tapscott street and 694 rockaway ave failed mioserably...havent heard any press about those 2 developments in years...

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 12:19 AM

567 posts, read 1,451,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
it is....the other 2 condos, at 49 tapscott street and 694 rockaway ave failed mioserably...havent heard any press about those 2 developments in years...
well, why would someone who can afford $300k live in that area anyway? there are so many nicer (and less dangerous) areas to live. maybe thats why the others failed, because no one wants to live in the ghetto (even people who were born and raised in one).

Old 06-08-2009, 11:10 AM

34,221 posts, read 47,837,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDK94 View Post
well, why would someone who can afford $300k live in that area anyway? there are so many nicer (and less dangerous) areas to live. maybe thats why the others failed, because no one wants to live in the ghetto (even people who were born and raised in one).
good question....ask the developer. aside from somebody who grew up in the area and has background and sentimental ties to their community, i couldnt imagine anyone else moving there. thats the reason why im not leaving rockaway. i wouldnt move to an area to pay at least $2000 a month in mortgage and still hear gunshots at night, or fear getting mugged walking home from work. but i would pay $2000 a month mortgage to stay in a neighborhood i was raised in.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-09-2009, 03:09 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,480,048 times
As I said before..this is a bad idea. When you lump everyone all together in such a fashion, that's where you have the problems. The projects were great UNTIL the city decided to just dump all their problems in there. This is no different than building all $2 million dollar condos...it is a disservice to the community, and a healthier building (and neighborhood) needs a MIX of incomes. This will not bode well for the community OR the building..I thought by now the city would have learned but I guess not.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:58 PM

283 posts, read 524,704 times
A lot of you people are EXTREMELY ignorant when it comes to understanding homelessness. I've been homeless myself and here's a little reality check:

-Everyone who's homeless is NOT a "degenerate" or "vagrant". 60-70% of the guys in the shelters I've been in have/had families, careers, lives etc. but just fell on hard times. If your wife/baby's mom kicks you out, your apt. burns down, you lived check-to-check and got laid off, etc. you would be in the same boat.

-Everyone who's homeless is NOT on welfare or unemployed. Again, the majority of the guys in the shelters I've been in have jobs, go to school/training or are on the job-finding grind and know public assistance isn't a viable long-term option (and you have to work for the city in a work experience program to get p.a. anyway). I've met professionals, skilled tradesmen and ex-business owners who became homeless. Many of them derided welfare.

-Getting a job (especially one that pays a living wage) is NOT nearly as simple and easy and people think, especially when you have no resources. If you don't have a phone, an address, a clean record, experience, consistent job history (i.e. no gaps), references, a good resume, professional attire, etc. most employers will NOT hire you (hence the need for welfare). And joblessness this year is the highest it's been since the early 80s. It's ridiculous to think anyone who's homeless and/or unemployed is lazy.

-NYC HOUSING IS RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE. A lot of homeless people 1) work and save money while being homeless (getting a room on $7.15-$10/hr. with no savings means you will likely become homeless again) or 2) work and wait on housing programs so they won't have to spend 50-70% of their income on rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
This is in the best interest of the developer. He couldn't rent them out at $350,000 per apt. Now he's getting $90 per day for an apt. I did the math in about 11 years each apt will be paid off--not bad. The developer now stands to make more operating this as a shelter.

I'm happy for the homeless and hope they appreciate the new living space, but feel for their neighbors. Some of these neighbors thought with luxury condos that they neighborhood would see a significant upgrade and everyone could've capitalized. However, now some would see their value of their homes go lower because of this.

Homeless flock to Brooklyn luxury condo in hopes of scoring shelter

Old 06-11-2009, 12:41 AM

567 posts, read 1,451,913 times
pookie, my definition of 'vagrant' (and the dictionaries definition too) is "one who has no established residence and wanders idly from place to place without lawful or visible means of support". that pretty much sums up the definition of homeless too, except maybe the "wanders idly" part. but the rest of what you said is true. and i'll take your word for it over the rest of these people here as you actually were homeless. thanks for elaborating on the job situation too. some people actually think homeless people have it easy, but i'm sure those same people wouldn't survive a day being homeless.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:00 AM

3,202 posts, read 4,646,770 times
I spent a stint homeless while in childhood, and no they're not all monsters, so I agree there is some demonzation going on. OTOH, this doesn't set a good president(sp). The city doesn't need to be buying luxury condos for the "homeless", but trying to help them find a job by providing what you said (Address, Moblies, Acess to internet).

I think this is more of an emotional lashing out against the "Free Ride Culture" than anything else. Weither it's bailed out exces on Wall St or this. This world is Mod cut: language

Last edited by Viralmd; 06-11-2009 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: Language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: