Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:42 AM

3 posts, read 9,301 times

Advertisements

I've always wanted to move to New York. To me that's been my life long dream. And just recently I've started looking up information on moving to New York. I currently live in California and I've never moved out of state before. Quite frankly the experience is as exciting as it is nerve racking. I just recently sent out my application for the NYCHA and have applied for preference in Staten Island (being that it has the shortest wait time, supposedly) with Brooklyn being a secondary choice. I do have a few general questions, some not so general. And any information anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

1. If anyone DOES know, what is the usual wait time to get an apartment for someone on the NYCHA waiting list (especially Staten Island). And if Staten Island is a shorter wait time, how much shorter wait is it on average?

2. As pertaining to Staten Island, are there work opportunities out there, or do most people have to commute to Manhattan or Brooklyn?

3. Is it worth bringing a car to New York? What should I expect if I do?

4. What is it like living in Brooklyn/Staten Island [More of a personal experience question]

5. This is kind of a tough question, but I currently work security here in California. And I was hoping to stay in the same industry. My question is, are there any security companies that help you get your guard card? And is there a way to apply for a New York guard card through the mail (So I can get it before I move out there)

6. And finally, what are some tips anyone could provide for moving to New York for the first time?

Thanks for those of you who took the time to read this, and thanks in advance for any information you can give. I'm really looking forward to moving out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 01:12 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,498,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Leon2009 View Post
I've always wanted to move to New York. To me that's been my life long dream. And just recently I've started looking up information on moving to New York. I currently live in California and I've never moved out of state before. Quite frankly the experience is as exciting as it is nerve racking. I just recently sent out my application for the NYCHA and have applied for preference in Staten Island (being that it has the shortest wait time, supposedly) with Brooklyn being a secondary choice. I do have a few general questions, some not so general. And any information anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

1. If anyone DOES know, what is the usual wait time to get an apartment for someone on the NYCHA waiting list (especially Staten Island). And if Staten Island is a shorter wait time, how much shorter wait is it on average?

2. As pertaining to Staten Island, are there work opportunities out there, or do most people have to commute to Manhattan or Brooklyn?

4. What is it like living in Brooklyn/Staten Island [More of a personal experience question]

5. This is kind of a tough question, but I currently work security here in California. And I was hoping to stay in the same industry. My question is, are there any security companies that help you get your guard card? And is there a way to apply for a New York guard card through the mail (So I can get it before I move out there)

6. And finally, what are some tips anyone could provide for moving to New York for the first time?

Thanks for those of you who took the time to read this, and thanks in advance for any information you can give. I'm really looking forward to moving out there!
If your going to be in Manhattan then no. But, anywhere else possibly.

It depends on where your going to live. You need to give everyone an exact location on your neighborhood once you find a place

Last edited by NYC1DAY; 03-12-2009 at 01:41 AM..

Old 03-12-2009, 05:12 AM

9,250 posts, read 24,114,074 times
We have had posts on this board from folks who have been waiting 5 years to get a place. S.I could be a shorter wait but don't know how much.

Your post sounds a little naive about costs,availability of work and housing in NY.Are you really planning on moving to NYC from California to move into a project ? Sounds crazy to me but whatever.

It seems like NYC is trying to gradually move away from being in the housing business.There are plans to privatize( coop) some and the wait lists ,as you have heard ,are many years.Apartments are given first to people considered in an emergency situation(homeless,in a violent domestic relationship),etc. Can't even speculate on how your application from out of state will be treated...maybe put to the bottom of the pile every month or so ?

Have you ever been to NYC and have you visited one of the NYCHA projects ?

A lot of people are opting for section 8 and moving out of the city to places where it is easier to live on lower incomes. I just can't imagine a plan to move to NYC based on moving into a project. I mean it's one thing to already be here and wind up in one because of circumstances but it's not something to aspire to .I think you should do a little more investigating.

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-12-2009 at 05:30 AM..

Old 03-12-2009, 07:05 AM

486 posts, read 985,367 times
Quote:

First things first, it takes people already here in NY many years to be interviewed for their NYCHA housing application, then it takes even more years to get called for an apartment. I'm not sure about the wait time because it actually varies from Project complex to project complex, but be prepared to wait at least 5 years. Oh, it also depends on how big an apartment you need. The bigger the apartment the longer the way (generally).

2. I've lived in the Bronx, never in Brooklyn or SI but most New Yorkers work in Manhattan. You might find something in the outer boroughs, but most likely, Manhattan will be it.

3. A Car? Totally depends where you live. A car in NYC can be the BIGGEST nightmare!! But if you live in a less populated area and have assigned parking then it wouldn't be a problem. But if you live in the projects and have a car, I don't know how advisible that is, unless they have a parking lot, in which case you can be placed on the waiting list. (yes, another waiting list there too, usually).

4. Sorry can't help there since I'm from the Bronx. But be careful of the area you choose. Some areas can be pretty rough. (Some are sadly, extremly segregated)

5. I'm not sure I understand. You are a security guard and want to work as one in NY? There are many agencies you can look up online and inquire with them. I used to see listings on the newspapers about this all the time. Check out the classifieds in the New York Daily News.

6. Be prepared for the CROWDS upon CROWDS everywhere in Manhattan. Oh and the summer time, we have a "natural sauna" undergrown, AKA: The Subway.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:19 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,537,720 times
I'm shocked that a person living out of state would even be eligible for this housing.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:45 AM

9,250 posts, read 24,114,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
I'm shocked that a person living out of state would even be eligible for this housing.
I am not sure that one is.Probably not.

My take was that the OP has some kind of fantasy or dream of getting into one of the projects as a way of being able to move to NY.

Some dream...sounds like a nightmare to me.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:09 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,537,720 times
Some of the projects are fine, esp. the middle income ones. I would have given anything to have lived in one of those during my NYC years! Kind of like winning the lottery.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:42 PM

1. I'm planning on going out to NY sometime this year and scoping out some areas while I'm out there.

2. As far as being in security, its just an idea to stay in the same industry, i don't have to.

3.As far as the wait yeah I know its going to be a few years at least, but I don't mind because I'm saving and preparing this whole time. I've already looked into eligibility and yeah I'm like the last on the list, but time is going to pass if I'm on the wait list or not.

4. I don't think it's going to be a paradise or perfect. Its just my dream. I've come across some who back me and some who don't but either way I feel happy just going for it.

Thanks to everyone who responded, I appreciate it!

Old 03-12-2009, 12:47 PM

274 posts, read 1,109,834 times
Quote:
I currently live in California and I've never moved out of state before. Quite frankly the experience is as exciting as it is nerve racking. I just recently sent out my application for the NYCHA and have applied for preference in Staten Island (being that it has the shortest wait time, supposedly) with Brooklyn being a secondary choice.
Someone from California is looking for subsidized public housing in NYC???

California is going down the tubes quickly -- those politicians like to punish working, middle class people with high taxes to fund California's runaway welfare and medicaid free-for-all.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:52 PM

Well I already live in subsidized housing. I don't know what the difference in the actual housing/apartments form NY and CA. But I will be able to look into it when I go out there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City