Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 02:43 PM

9,249 posts, read 24,105,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Some of the projects are fine, esp. the middle income ones. I would have given anything to have lived in one of those during my NYC years! Kind of like winning the lottery.
What projects run by the NYCHA are for middle income people? I am curious to know because I have been here for 35 years and didn't know they exist. I know about middle income developments like the Mitchell Lama done by the NYHPD and other developments and lotteries( both coops and rentals) run by HPD but these are not connected to the the public housing projects run by NYCHA.

I am also familiar with the section 8 program where eligible people are placed in market rental units and the rent is subsidized.Section 8 is now closed,however.I don't think they are even accepting applications because they can't place the people that already have vouchers.

I would really like to know where I could see a NYCHA housing project specifically for middle income people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 02:47 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,535,512 times
Ooh, I don't know! I was lumping them all together! I don't know the difference! I figured I was never eligible for public housing for some reason, so never delved into the details. There were a couple of really nice ones downtown, one in Tribeca and one near the South Street Seaport that I lusted after.

Where I live now in Brookline Mass there's a very nice public housing project across the street from me. Those people are lucky.

Sorry for getting you excited.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:58 PM

9,249 posts, read 24,105,434 times
I just worry that the OP has a very wrong analysis of the situation in NY and is developing a fundamentally flawed life plan based on moving to New york to move into a housing project run by the NYCHA,which is what he/she says they applied for.I also do not think people from out of state, or even out of NYC will be considered for any of these developments.You can fill out the application but I don't think it will ever get to the interview phase,IMO.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:50 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,535,512 times
From reading this board there are alot of people out there with fundamentally flawed dreams for getting to NYC, dreams most likely fueled by excessive TV watching.

I predict that when my kids are of age, the pendulum will swing back to the Pacific Northwest as the choice destination, kind of like it was when I was in my 20s.

You're nice to care, Bluedog, and your comments are well reasoned and helpful. I care, too, but part of me can't take crazy plans like these seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City