Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 07:46 PM

19 posts, read 79,665 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody could give me their take on pros/cons of living in UWS vs. Hoboken. I'm married and a young attorney moving to NYC from Texas. Making around $200K a year. Working around 53rd and 5th. However, I should note a little bit of a commute isn't a killer. More interested on the feel of each area.

Things we like are parks, coffee shops, great restaurants, a nice apartment, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 07:59 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
You will be able to find a nicer apartment in Hoboken than the UWS, since you're going to be at $5k or under for rent. However, the UWS would be the gold standard in terms of what you're seeking, and you're in Manhattan. It's at premium prices, and you might have a trade-off in size or age of building, but, for many, there is no equal. Plus, the UWS is an easy commute for your office.

Are you going to keep a car? If so, Hoboken is slightly easier than the UWS to do so, though compare insurance costs, since NJ is not exactly at comparatively bargain rates for car insurance.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 9,262 times
I'm more familiar with Hoboken but in general my impression of the UWS from visiting is that it's white and wealthy, with older residents than other parts of Manhattan. The area near the brownstones is much more beautiful and intimate than the commercial strips (where you see tall condos and where I think most ppl live).

Hoboken Pros: more greenspace; a waterfront where you can exercise outdoors; large doggy park; more of a neighborhood feel; more affordable than UWS
Hoboken Cons: drunk frat types on take over streets on weekends; you may have to wait for PATH train on evenings

If I were in your place, I would rent in Hoboken for a year, then move to the UWS or wherever once I have a good understanding of the neighborhoods and what I really want. Good luck!

Old 01-30-2009, 12:09 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
I posted in NJ, too, but I've lived in both places and found that living in Hoboken agreed with me more than living in Manhattan. I loved both places, but Hoboken is such a cute tiny town you can master it in a month and it becomes your personal village, while the neighborhood of the UWS is much larger and part of the huge swirl that is Manhattan. Commuting from Hoboken isn't bad at all, there are several options, and there are some super nice apartments there now (when I was there it was mostly all railroads).

But you are having a luxury problem here, you can't go wrong with either. Does your spouse want Manhattan or does she want something cosier?

I would even venture to say that at times parts of Hoboken are way more congested than most areas on the UWS. And forget finding a parking space, it just doesn't happen. This is because of the size of the town, not because I think it's better or more popular, because nothing can compete with Manhattan in that department.

Historically UWS is not noted for it's great dining, but maybe that has changed over the years. I always think of UWS as filled with notable intellectuals who wear sensible clothing and are very liberal. There's a long jewish heritage there, while Hoboken is a relatively recently gentrified broken down inner city, with Italian American and Hispanic roots.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:25 PM

19 posts, read 79,665 times
Thanks for all of the input so far. We're going to try to plan a visit out to Hoboken soon to see what it is like out there.

The car won't be an issue as that is one of the things we are most looking forward to by moving to NYC. No car, no car insurance, no filing up with gas, etc. I can't wait and definitely have no plans to purchase a car anytime soon.

I really like the UWS but the tax savings and the lower rent in Hoboken is certainly attractive. One thing that was mentioned that doesn't sound great about Hoboken is the large amount of frat dudes. Never was much of a fan even though I was once one myself. Like to thing i have moved past that point in my life.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:50 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
My husband lived in Hoboken before we got married. He liked it a lot and the commute to Manhattan was very convenient. I enjoyed visiting him there and seeing live bands at Maxwell's and eating out at the many restaurants.

I also have a coworker who lives on a prime block in UWS and she said the public schools her sons went to couldn't be beat, so if you have or are planning to have kids and are not set on private schools, UWS could look more attractive. (I don't know anything about the schools in Hoboken, but if you ask on the NJ forums someone will answer.)

Old 01-30-2009, 02:56 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I resided in Hoboken recently and now am back in the Bronx. I lived in a variety of upscale housing in downtown Hoboken, uptown Hoboken, and West Hoboken (towards Jersey city Heights). The area is very targeted towards a specific group: young, educated whites. The primary housing stock is ALL identical: 2 bedroom, 2 baths, same kitchens, same layouts, and much were built by the same 3 builders and ALL designed by the same architect (remember the name Dean Marchetto). Retail is clustered solely on Washington Street, the main strip, with little to NOTHING available off that main street except nail salons and dry cleaners (remember that too). The VAST majority are single, roommies, or recently married with no kids. As a result turnover is HUGE in town, and the housing stock does not lend itself to families, nor does the horrendous schools, and gross lack of parks. A typical weekend the town is overrun by college/young people from NJ coming to get drunk at the disproportionately high number of college-type bars. It gets crazy..and if you live on Washington Street you will never sleep from the noise from the bars, the Fire Engines that constantly ride up and down the street with sirens, and the bikers with their harleys. However, it is a very safe town, highly corrupt, AMAZING views of Manhattan, nice waterfront greenway, no parking, good choice of restaurants at your fingertips, educated population, clean, and super close/convenient to Manhattan. I did not like the 2 bed/2 bath cookie cutter housing THEY CONTINUE TO BUILD..it is the hoboken special apparently, nor did I appreciate the lack of diversity..everyone really is the same there...defeats the purpose of living in NYC area. Definitely visit, but remember these items: no amenities off washington street besides nail salons and dry cleaners, 2 bed/2baths are all the same (a glut like you would not believe..and they keep building them!), corruption, not enough greenspace.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,773,126 times
Go with the Upper West Side.

Your money will go a little further in Hoboken, but the UWS is worth every penny IMO!

Old 01-30-2009, 08:19 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
UWS easily....

now if we're talkin UES then..uhhhh....move to connecticut

Old 01-30-2009, 10:45 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Although Hoboken is a nice place, I would say without a doubt to choose the Upper West Side. It is a wonderful neighborhood and is much closer to your office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City