Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 12:38 PM

15 posts, read 33,751 times

Advertisements

My apartment sublet fell through. Grrr.

So...looking once again. I found an ad for a room in an apartment on the Upper West Side. It's $500 a month. Is this an unusual rate for this area? I want to make sure it's not in some decrepit area surrounded by crackhouses.

It's on W.80th in the 200's. Anyone know about this area of the upper west side?

I have some other potential options in Queens. But I would rather be in Manhattan if possible.

Thanks,
Keith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 12:48 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,301,566 times
West 80th in the 200s is between Amsterdam and Broadway, or Broadway and West End. It's a great area. $500 seems mighty low; find out why. There are a lot of tenement-style walk-ups on 80th. Many times the rooms in such buildings are very small. It's not a decrepit area with crackhouses by any means though.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:41 PM

63 posts, read 238,425 times
It may be the tenant has rent control. I know a few people in the W 80's in older buildings with it.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:50 PM

82 posts, read 254,194 times
Either rent control, or a small maid's room (usually entry is through the kitchen) in a large apartment in a prewar.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:21 AM

531 posts, read 2,898,848 times
The area is great however you can find a few less than desirable blocks here. For example, the block where Jerry Seinfeld has his garage--I think it's 83rd between Amsterdam & Columbus?--is a bit rough. It's the one with the firehouse and High Life on the corner {haven't lived there in a few years, I'm assuming High Life is still there}. That's not a great block. But otherwise the area is great, I'd say this is too good to be true.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:43 AM

82 posts, read 254,194 times
83rd 1-2 blocks from the park is "less than desireable"? Sure, the block is a bit more "tenement"-ish than other blocks on UWS, but I always figured the entire area is generally decent?

Old 05-14-2009, 11:36 AM

531 posts, read 2,898,848 times
For sure, generally speaking the entire area is decent and more than decent. But you'll always find blocks here and there that aren't so great. For example, 90th between Amsterdam & Columbus has projects. 85th between Columbus & Amsterdam has the Brandeis High School which is a horrible high school with lots of police activity.

In addition to the other points on that block that I mentioned earlier, there's also a very active parking garage just below the Crunch gym {again, haven't lived there in a few years, I'm assuming Crunch is still there}. Cars constantly going in and out. I wouldn't live on that block.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:45 PM

63 posts, read 238,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
The area is great however you can find a few less than desirable blocks here. For example, the block where Jerry Seinfeld has his garage--I think it's 83rd between Amsterdam & Columbus?--is a bit rough. It's the one with the firehouse and High Life on the corner {haven't lived there in a few years, I'm assuming High Life is still there}. That's not a great block. But otherwise the area is great, I'd say this is too good to be true.
LOL. What is your definition of "undesirable?" I have a friend who lives on that block and it's fine. Older buildings (most that have been renovated) and tenants who've lived there for generations but there's no unusual crime or otherwise shady activity going on there.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,249 times
hi everybody, i am an aspiring actress from baltimore, md and i will be moving to nyc, renting a room also. i found an agency that charges 150 a week for a room. it is in a budget but i would like to know where would be a safe area to move in with in the manhattan area, that is affordable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City