Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 08:15 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times

Advertisements

Most of my knowledge of Italian restaurants, bakeries and butchers in NY is around Queens and Brooklyn. I wanted to know how much of Arthur Ave. is still Italian...one block, two blocks etc., and if the restaurants and pastry shops are any good. I'm thinking of taking a ride up there but if it's become a trendy upscale stronghold like Mulberry St. I'll pass.

Also, are there any German butchers or bakeries in The Bronx?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 08:41 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Most of my knowledge of Italian restaurants, bakeries and butchers in NY is around Queens and Brooklyn. I wanted to know how much of Arthur Ave. is still Italian...one block, two blocks etc., and if the restaurants and pastry shops are any good. I'm thinking of taking a ride up there but if it's become a trendy upscale stronghold like Mulberry St. I'll pass.

Also, are there any German butchers or bakeries in The Bronx?
The neighborhood is not Italian anymore, hasn't been for some time, but the businesses are still majority Italian owned so there is still definitely an Italian presence there. The restaurants and goods are quality. Arthur Avenue is a nice strip. It's very nice to go in the fall or spring and walk the whole stretch and just make stops along the way.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:44 AM

33 posts, read 184,033 times
Arthur Avenue has good places to eat. There are some Italians that still live there but the majority of the area is like the rest of Fordham. 187th street is a good strip. And its not ever going to be a trendy place like Mulberry Street. If you want German products I'd recommend Mahopac, New York. I don't know of any Germans in the Bronx. But Mahopac has a lot of Germans. Its much furthur up though. I happen to know about it because some of my family relocated around that area. Its about a 35 mile drive from the Bronx.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:39 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Right around Arthur Avenue and 187th St things still look and feel very much the same ( The Real Little Italy of NYC to some) but as the prior posters point out, it is no longer a big Italian enclave.They own and run the shops and restaurants but a lot of them don't live there.It is still definitely worth enjoying.And there are great reastaurants and shops.

There used to be a pretty big German population up around Allerton Avenue but I'm not sure how much of it is left and how many businesses are still there. Next time I'm up there I will make it a point to actually look.Sometimes in NY things are there but you can walk right by them and miss them unless you are actually looking for them.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:51 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
I believe Schaller and Weber is still in Yorkville, on Second Avenue, between 86th and 85th, if you're looking for a German butcher.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:28 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Definitely the Real Little Italy. Fantastic restaurants, and a good strip to just stroll down, and pop into the markets.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:12 PM

730 posts, read 2,053,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Definitely the Real Little Italy. Fantastic restaurants, and a good strip to just stroll down, and pop into the markets.
That's true. There are still some mom-and-pop Italian businesses. The only changes have been the demographics, with Latinos (especially Puerto Ricans and Dominicans) and Albanians coming into Belmont.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:56 PM

19 posts, read 60,964 times
There are excellent restaurants and stores on 187th street and Arthur Ave. Its definitely worth the trip

Old 02-09-2009, 12:37 PM

18 posts, read 60,069 times
I think Arthur Avenue is absolutely worth the trip. The pastry shops are overrated, however, and make sure you ask the prices before you say 5 of these and 3 of these and then be surprised at the end. If you love cannolis, tho, (unless you want to make them yourself), it's a place to get them.

One of my favorite stores there (I think it's on 187th Street - you can google it) and it is still very Italian in my opinion is Casa Mozzarella. If you like fresh mozzarella (and other delicacies to take home) this is the place for you. There's a wonderful sausage store there, too - I can't think of the name of it. It's the best fresh mozzarella I have found so far.

Yorkville (or, as it used to be known, Germantown) is sadly not very German anymore. Growing up in the 60's and 70's there were tons of German restaurants (bakeries, butchershops, candy shops, etc.). As a previous poster pointed out, one of the best ones left is Schaller and Weber. You can get alot of good stuff in there besides meat. I was so sad to see Kramer's Bakery and Elk Candy close up . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City