Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 01:39 AM

58 posts, read 179,897 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm Davide from Italy. Next year I'm gonna go to New York with my future wife and I'd like to go to the real Little Italy in New York, Arthur Avenue in Bronx.
Somebody could tell me if this is a safe area to go by ourselves? Could we walk without any problem from the Metro Station to Arthur Avenue? I see on the Map that there is almost 20 minutes by walk to arrive in Arthur Avenue...
I hope to receive some advice... Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 04:24 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times
It's fine but since you are unfamiliar with the area you might not want to do it at night.Most of the walk is along Fordham Road and it is an extremely busy commercial strip with lots and lots of people and a lot of activity until the stores close.

You can also take a metro north train to the Fordham Station and walk from there.It is a lot closer than the subway that runs along The Grand Concourse.

You might want to combine your Arthur Avenue trip with a visit to either The New York Botanical Garden or The Bronx Zoo (or both) as they are both very close by.
Bronx Zoo: Saving Wildlife and Wild Places

New York Botanical Garden

Old 09-30-2011, 06:33 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
I think this about sums up Arthur Ave:

It is the best Hispanic neighborhood for Italian restaurants owned by Albanians. When you get there, this statement will make sense. It's a nice area, and great for walking around and grabbing coffee and sitting outside..nice tree lined streets. It might be similar to Italy more than you think..as Italy also has a substantial Albanian population.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I think this about sums up Arthur Ave:

It is the best Hispanic neighborhood for Italian restaurants owned by Albanians. When you get there, this statement will make sense. It's a nice area, and great for walking around and grabbing coffee and sitting outside..nice tree lined streets. It might be similar to Italy more than you think..as Italy also has a substantial Albanian population.
What a ridiculous generalization !This isn't true at all.

I live about a 20 min walk from Arthur Avenue and shop there at least once or twice a week,have eaten dinner or lunch in virtually every restaurant and have shopped in virtually every market,bakery and pastry shop. I also happen to speak fluent Italian.The overwhelming majority of Arthur Avenue establishments are still owned by Italian families and I have had converstions with them.....IN ITALIAN.If you spend any time at all in the restaurants and shops and in the streets in the area you will hear lots of Italian and little Albanian.Since I live in the largest Albanian neighborhood in NYC I know the difference.

Yes,there are a few of the Italian restaurants now owned by Albanians and a few Albanian restaurants that don't even pretend to be Italian but to imply that the neighborhood is filled with Albanian owned Italian restaurants is ludicrous.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:52 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,582,502 times
I love Arthur Ave. Especially going with my mother. She's from the Bronx and it brings back good memories.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:00 AM

Sorry dude...but the reality is the face of Arthur ave is that it is an Hispanic neighborhood, with a dead/dying Italian population, and an influx of Albanians resting control from the old guard. You will find that plenty of Albanians speak Italian, and are probably from Italy, and are taking over Arthur Ave. Ludicrous would be me saying that it is now inundated with Bulgarians, which it is not.

Whereas it was the Little Italy of the Bronx, it is now "The best Hispanic neighborhood for Italian restaurants owned by Albanians." I still like the area and walking around/sitting outside etc...but the only thing Italian these days is the cuisine and restaurant names...Albanians are taking over. But what's the difference...it's as popular as ever and to the average person (most people actually) they are Italians, they "look" Italian, and speak Italian. No harm no foul...it's the same experience...as they made sure to not change anything (or as little as possible).

Old 09-30-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Sorry dude...but the reality is the face of Arthur ave is that it is an Hispanic neighborhood, with a dead/dying Italian population, and an influx of Albanians resting control from the old guard. You will find that plenty of Albanians speak Italian, and are probably from Italy, and are taking over Arthur Ave. Ludicrous would be me saying that it is now inundated with Bulgarians, which it is not.

Whereas it was the Little Italy of the Bronx, it is now "The best Hispanic neighborhood for Italian restaurants owned by Albanians." I still like the area and walking around/sitting outside etc...but the only thing Italian these days is the cuisine and restaurant names...Albanians are taking over. But what's the difference...it's as popular as ever and to the average person (most people actually) they are Italians, they "look" Italian, and speak Italian. No harm no foul...it's the same experience...as they made sure to not change anything (or as little as possible).
That's a very weird perception because almost all the Albanians I know are Moslems and don't speak a word of Italian.Where did you get the idea that all Albanians in the Belmont area came from Italy and speak Italian ? Why would the Albanians even come here from Italy if they were there(in Italy) first ? The vast,vast majority of Albanians in The Bronx came directly from Albania and didn't stop to learn Italian in Italy on the way here.

Now,it is a fact that a very small number of the restaurants in Little Italy have been bought by Albanians but you can usually tell because they don't try to hide it...they display the Albanian double eagle quite proudly and they usually have burek on the menu.

If you would ever take the time to go into most of the shops and restaurants and speak with the owners rather than make assumptions, you might hear about their families,where in Italy they came from and their history in NYC and The Bronx.They are a great part of Bronx and NYC history.

Yes,their numbers have dwindled and yes Belmont ,just like the entire Bronx,is mostly Hispanic now but the idea that most of the restaurants and shops in Little Italy are owned by Moslem Albanians who stopped in Italy to learn Italian so they could "rest(sic) control" of the restaurants when they got to the Bronx is just wrong.

Most of the Italian restaurants and shops are owned by Italian families who actually still live in The Bronx.Some even still live in the immediate Belmont neighborhood and a lot of them live in Morris Park , Pelham Gardens and Riverdale.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:44 AM

Alright bluedog...you win. The area is still heavily controlled by Italians.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:12 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Albanians mimic Greek and Italian culture pretty good eventhouogh they are Muslim and not Catholic and Eastern Othrodox. You need to understand the history of Albania through out the centuries Greek and Italian kingdoms and Empires used to rule Albania until the advancement of the Turkish Ottoman Empire who are Muslim. The islamic Turks had a big impact on Albanian culture and this is the main reason why many in Albania are Muslim today.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:22 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
What a ridiculous generalization !This isn't true at all.

I live about a 20 min walk from Arthur Avenue and shop there at least once or twice a week,have eaten dinner or lunch in virtually every restaurant and have shopped in virtually every market,bakery and pastry shop. I also happen to speak fluent Italian.The overwhelming majority of Arthur Avenue establishments are still owned by Italian families and I have had converstions with them.....IN ITALIAN.If you spend any time at all in the restaurants and shops and in the streets in the area you will hear lots of Italian and little Albanian.Since I live in the largest Albanian neighborhood in NYC I know the difference.

Yes,there are a few of the Italian restaurants now owned by Albanians and a few Albanian restaurants that don't even pretend to be Italian but to imply that the neighborhood is filled with Albanian owned Italian restaurants is ludicrous.
There are a lot of Albanians there and they own pizzarias and even some albanian cafes etc. I think people say they own everything there now because unlike Italians, Albanians actually live in that neighborhood and in surrounding areas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City