Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:33 PM

215 posts, read 661,206 times

Advertisements

How about a suit for boys (proper shirt and tie for warmer months), and sorta business attire for girls, the way they do it in private schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 08:08 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
Is it really that much of a distraction? I mean i like to dess nice does not mean it gets in the way of my education. It does not equal anything because kids that come to school with dirty clothes that stink are still going to to so; kids are still going to be able to tell the difference between the ones who take care of them selves and the ones who don't.
REM the focus should be 100% on learning and your education. Everything else is a distraction.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:25 AM

487 posts, read 1,815,598 times
I think uniforms are a great idea, if I could only get all that money back that I spent on brand name gear just to fit in. I find it amazing that most of these children carry this brand name wearing on into adulthood. I am sick and tired of seeing grown men and women with these huge logo brands on the street. But, it is true that children will find a way to ridicule others even if uniforms are enforced.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:45 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,372,483 times
Arussel..so I take it that you wear whatever you want at work? Because work is not a jail and they can't force you to wear a uniform/or some other business specific clothing right?

Old 01-14-2009, 09:02 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
I think some of you are getting caught up in semantics. The main thing is that we want kids, especially teens, to be more focused on learning, less on clothes.

A strict dress code, that would be for example for boys say a dress shirt, slacks, plain black sneakers or dress shoes, and tie, , but not necessarily a UNIFORM, could be effective while still allowing some room for individual expression.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:39 AM

Agreed NYer..they can call it whatever they want..we ALL wear "uniforms"...if you actually work that is. Some wear actual uniforms like those in MCDonalds for example, others wear industry specific uniforms like Business Suits. What is the big deal here? Why can't kids do the same thing...I don't see th problem. The same reason adults wear a "uniform" for work...why can't kids. They are KIDS!!!

Old 01-14-2009, 09:48 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,830,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Agreed NYer..they can call it whatever they want..we ALL wear "uniforms"...if you actually work that is. Some wear actual uniforms like those in MCDonalds for example, others wear industry specific uniforms like Business Suits. What is the big deal here? Why can't kids do the same thing...I don't see th problem. The same reason adults wear a "uniform" for work...why can't kids. They are KIDS!!!
Remember that, as an adult, you make the choice of where to work. That means you also have the choice of what "uniform" you wear. Kids, by law, have to attend school, so they don't have that same choice.

Not saying that uniforms are bad -- just saying that comparing kids' and adults' "uniforms" is apples to oranges .....

Old 01-14-2009, 10:30 AM

Since when do kids MAKE ANY CHOICES? It is the PARENTS that are choosing where they go to school..not the kids. It is the PARENTS who are buying the clothes, not the kids. It is the PARENTS paying for food, rent, etc..not the kids. Why do you believe that it is the kids choice? They make NO choices..why do you believe that they do or are entitled to make them? And yes kids are required to go to school...but they a not required to go to any school....public, private or home schooling. If you don't like the uniforms, feel free to home school your kid if it is that important to you.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:41 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,830,538 times
Chill out, Guy. Obviously the final decision isn't up to the child, however school attendance is compulsory (and you know that not every parent can/should home school). Therefore, if uniforms are mandated, you're also taking away the PARENTS' ability to choose how their children dress.

I'm just saying that what someone wears to work is not an appropriate comparison to what a child wears to school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It is the PARENTS who are buying the clothes, not the kids. It is the PARENTS paying for food, rent, etc..not the kids. Why do you believe that it is the kids choice?
And that's not necessarily true, especially by high school. Many of my students work after school and pay for their own clothes.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-14-2009 at 11:28 AM..

Old 01-14-2009, 11:15 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
Uniforms do make it so easy to get out the door in the morning, and when I was at school there was a little competition as to how far one could stretch the rules of dress. Red socks with lime green polka dots, crazy cartoon socks, hot pink, electric blue, they were all there. And, on selected Fridays we had "dress-out" days, but not down. You still had to wear shirt, tie, blazer, dress pants, shoes, but you were allowed to wear stripes and some wild ties, for example, while the girls had to wear dresses, or skirts with a blouse, and cardigan/blazer. The rule was always "equal to, or better than" the uniform on such days. Dressing "down" was suitable only for athletic events and extra-curricular activies

The uniform also helps one to take pride in one's school and sets the stage for education. Education is a serious business, and I can say that people tended to get to know the individual, rather than judging them by their appearance. That's a life lesson that we may not have learned, had we not had uniforms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City