Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 09:08 AM

456 posts, read 1,397,557 times

Advertisements

I will be living in NYC for another eight months or so, and I really want to enjoy all the things about NYC that make this city such a great mecca for the arts. Being a poet, singer, budding singer-songwriter, and performing artist, in the past I have found art museums and galleries to be excruciatingly boring--to the point where I found it more interesting to strike up a conversation with a security as I rested my poor aching feet in a huge museum in Chicago once upon a time. I want to challenge myself on this idea that museums are boring, to change that notion in a fun and hopefully enlightening way.

Truthfully, the only museums I have ever really enjoyed were the Children's Museum in Brooklyn and the Museum of Science and Technology in Chicago--both truly a blast, I think because they were spectacularly visual and they were interactive. I also enjoyed performing at the A.I.R. Gallery in Chelsea, during the opening of an exhibit. It was nice actually meeting the artist and listening to her stories and the ideas expressed in some of her works. So, my next question is this: Are there any museums here that offer more interactive experiences, such as lecture-discussions, "art talks," poetry readings and music to enhance the experience, or workshops (sketching, painting, etc.)? By answering this question, you will be helping me to add to my NYC "bucket list." No, I'm not kicking the bucket, far from it. Just going out with a bang. I am creating a new life for myself in Madison, Wisconsin, that will likely involve frequent visits to NYC. So, you might also be adding to my list of NYC must-do-or-see list--for future visits. Something about this city...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 11:56 AM

69 posts, read 293,856 times
Other than the traditional places (the Met, MoMA, Guggenheim), my favorite is definitely the Frick Collection. It's smaller (and more manageable, I think) with some great work from the non-traditional old masters like el greco, de Goya, etc.

Also check out the Whitney and Guggenheim as they have some pretty interesting exhibits sometimes. Check on each of the museum websites for gallery talks/music/etc.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:59 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,950,467 times
Try the Noguchi Museum in Long Island City. It used to be his studio and is now a museum.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:30 PM

Thank you.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:30 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
The Queens Museum has model of the whole entire city of NY. :: The Panorama of the City of New York - About Panorama (http://www.queensmuseum.org/panorama/about.htm - broken link)

Old 01-10-2009, 04:39 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,464,761 times
You are asking an interesting question: what museums or galleries are interactive and more involving? If I understand correctly, you are not interested in visual arts, or being a passive viewer?
Most exhibits indeed belong to this kind - viewing paintings, pics and objects you aren't allowed to touch.
1) There are many activities in the large museums like Moma, the Met. Check their schedules.

2) New Museum of Contemporary Art:
New Museum :: NewMuseum.org

3)The Chelsea Art Museum, New York, NY USA - home of the Miotte Foundation

4)American Museum of the Moving Image

5)Children's Museum of the Arts (http://cmany.org/intro.php?pn=home - broken link)

6) Eyebeam Atelier Digital Museum, 115 Mercer St

Old 01-10-2009, 07:17 PM

Oberon, thank you. Nice list. It's not that I don't appreciate the visual arts, but more that I don't appreciate being a passive viewer. I learn or experience the arts best interactively. (This is how I teach and perform as well.) There has to be a way to make the art communicate or come alive, so to speak. I've been on two tours of the Tenement Museum, for example. They began with a film and discussion of the history of Lower East Side immigrants and then gave us group tours of the buildings, the apartments, which displayed photos, artifacts, and other visuals. The tour guide told us the stories of real people who lived in these tenements. I think you get the picture. lol. I think art could be presented in a similar way, not simply encased behind a glass for passive viewers. I am sure there are many people who love this process. It's just not for me. This is New York City. There have to be more creative exhibits.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:37 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,464,761 times
Yet another option:
Electronic Arts Intermix: Online Catalogue (http://www.eai.org/eai/index.htm - broken link)

Old 01-12-2009, 12:36 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,299,615 times
I like P.S.1 in Queens (P.S.1 Contemporary Art Center). It's an an affiliate of MoMA, but has very different art. I'm very fond of the James Turrell installation there (P.S.1 Contemporary Art Center: Exhibitions: James Turrell: Meeting). It's only open at dusk so you have to check for the time (and take a warm coat).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City