Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to New York: applying for grad school, student loan repayment, debt, traffic, apartment for rent.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:15 AM

6 posts, read 48,471 times

Advertisements

hello from california!

i'm currently in the process of applying for grad school at Columbia University and would like to get a better idea from some native new yorkers about living in NYC! please excuse my lack of knowledge about some things that may be obvious to you, but that's why i'm here! so i really appreciate any and all feedback!

first, my current roommate is looking to go to school closer to downtown (FIT) where would be a place that would be...
1. halfway between FIT & columbia? or, where would be the most convenient location for both of us to commute to our schools?
2. reasonably priced? meaning, ~$800-1200 each (1600-2400 total) for a 2 or 1 bedroom apartment (...or studio... we'll make it work!)?

second, what is the best way to commute around NYC? being from california, i know nothing about public transportation! would taxi rides to our campuses be financial suicide?

and i can't help but ask this: i have run across some listings on craigslist in the financial district that i find really hard to believe (~2500/month with complete amenities)... the luring pictures really work! but how legit are these listings?

i'd love to live in near downtown new york, but since i'll definitely be in enormous debt after all the loans for grad school, i don't want to dig myself into a hole financially! ANY tips/advice/words from the wise would be greatly appreciated, so please help me out if you can!

please just tell me more about your city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 02:50 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,416,920 times
The best way to get around town is via the subway and bus. Cabs and car services are fine, but they do get stuck in traffic, and for commuting to/from college campuses, you would be fine on public transit since it would not be too early or too late. For late nights, a cab is a good thing, but during the day, it's going to cost you in time and money. New York ia expensive enough, without adding the burden of needless cabs to your grad school budget for commuting. And, unlike most New Yorkers, I do drive around town, so I can tell you first hand, that sometimes it is much faster to get around on the subway and/or bus. Plus, you can get an unlimited pass on the subway, a Metro Card, for $81.

The listings in the Financial District are legitimate; however, the Financial District is a ghost town in terms of amenities for daily living, compared to the UES, UWS, and parts of Midtown and Downtown. You lack many things like multiple grocery stores, cleaners, restaurants, etc. that you will find in surrounding neighborhoods, but it's a hike to get to/from places like that. Plus, to Columbia, that's a much longer trip uptown than you would have in areas closer to the two campuses. If you could put up with these headaches, you can get a newer apartment with amenities at a good price. There's a Trader Joe's and Whole Foods at Union Square, so you are not that far from good stores, but it can be a hassle to go on the subway, but you could always grab a cab back home with a larger grocery order.

The best advice for keeping a budget in check is to find a place that you like that's easily afforded, eat as many meals as you can that you prepare yourself (which is also better healthwise), and don't waste money on needless expenditures that seem to be part of the New York scene. This is not to say that you should not have fun in the city, but there are tremendous opportunities for free and/or lower cost things to do that can allow you to splurge on treats every so often. I have had friends from other cities ask me if it's possible to exist in NY on $50 a day and $500 a day, and the answer to both is yes (exclusive of rent, of course), depending upon where one spends their money. Look for leaks in the budget and eliminate them as best you can, since Manhattan is an island where just about everything you buy is imported. If you think of it as you would a small island nation, it helps to conceptualize the associated costs of everything from dry cleaning to food to household items.

If you don't absolutely need a cleaning service, I'd also skip this expense if you are able/inclined to clean the apartment yourself. Depending upon the space and frequency of cleaning, you might be able to save a good deal of money by eliminating this expense, which can be a New Yorkism that catches many off-guard.

One big expense that you do not need in NYC is a vehicle, with high insurance and garage costs. Check into Zipcar (www.zipcar.com) for hourly/daily rental for those times that you absolutely need a vehicle to go to the suburbs to stock up on supplies at a warehouse club or Target, large purchases, and getaways. Although, with regard to getaways, one can go quite far on $20, to Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington, DC, for example on one of the bus services like Megabus and Bolt bus. They can be fun for day trips and/or weekends away if your school schedule would allow it.

Hope that helps a bit.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:32 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,621,835 times
FIT is in the 20s, and Columbia is at 116th. That's a big chunk of Westside Manhattan, so you should be able to find something. You could also consider Queens, because subway lines coming into Manhattan from that borough will take you through midtown Manhattan--between FIT and Columbia. Check in with MTA for maps; it's always a good idea to know where you're going and how best to get there before you set out!

Old 10-29-2008, 07:36 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,101,058 times
To help with your commute to Columbia live near a #1,#2,#3 station if possible, the #1 stops directly in front of Columbia. You can transfer from the 2/3 at 96th street to the #1.

Also once you get into Columbia, they can give you a temporary UNI number and you can start looking at OCHA on Columbia's website for housing. It is helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City