Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 06:30 PM

283 posts, read 1,072,250 times

Advertisements

I think there was a pretty recent post on this but I couldn't find it.

So I've never really hit up the NYC hot dog chains before. But the economic news lately has got me hankering for that "recession special" I remember hearing about. Where's the place to go? Grey's Papaya? Papaya Dog? Papaya King? Grey Dog King? What's the ultimate verdict about which of these places is the legit, go-to hot dog experience? And which is it with the recession special, anyway? That meal oughta be down to about a buck by now if they really want to peg it to the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 08:20 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,571,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiecupdrinking View Post
I think there was a pretty recent post on this but I couldn't find it.

So I've never really hit up the NYC hot dog chains before. But the economic news lately has got me hankering for that "recession special" I remember hearing about. Where's the place to go? Grey's Papaya? Papaya Dog? Papaya King? Grey Dog King? What's the ultimate verdict about which of these places is the legit, go-to hot dog experience? And which is it with the recession special, anyway? That meal oughta be down to about a buck by now if they really want to peg it to the market.
I tried to argue that point with my hot dog vendor on Water Street in the Wall Street area when I went to his place of business to purchase my lunch yesterday. His retort was, "Does your salary fluctuate with the market?" He then whipped out an S&P report which analyzed the soaring costs of hot dog ingredients over the past several years with 5 and 10 year averages.

I tell you, I'm just going to keep quiet tomorrow when I go to his stand for lunch, promptly pay my .50 cents for my meal, and be thankful that in these perilous times, he's still around to keep me sustained to last another down day on the Street.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:44 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
I don't know who's best, but I kind of like Grey's Papaya. Last I checked their hotdogs were $1.25, and I wouldn't anticipate a price drop, since rents continue to go up.

You should also check out the $1 pizza place at Ninth Avenue and 41st, and some of the $1 chicken wings in Chinatown.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:45 PM

68 posts, read 285,740 times
Quote:
I tried to argue that point with my hot dog vendor on Water Street in the Wall Street area when I went to his place of business to purchase my lunch yesterday. His retort was, "Does your salary fluctuate with the market?" He then whipped out an S&P report which analyzed the soaring costs of hot dog ingredients over the past several years with 5 and 10 year averages.

I tell you, I'm just going to keep quiet tomorrow when I go to his stand for lunch, promptly pay my .50 cents for my meal, and be thankful that in these perilous times, he's still around to keep me sustained to last another down day on the Street.

That's hilarious.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:31 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
I'm a Grey's guy, but its mostly a loyalty thing. There really ain't much of a difference. All the different chains taste pretty much the same. I could go for a nice recession combo now.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I'm a Grey's guy, but its mostly a loyalty thing. There really ain't much of a difference. All the different chains taste pretty much the same. I could go for a nice recession combo now.
This should probably go in the NY memories thread - but I got to tell you, I've never ever been able to duplicate the taste of the hot dogs at Nathan's that many years ago were located in Herald Square across from Macy's. That particular Nathans franchise seemed to have excelled in making a fantastic hot dog.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:49 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post

You can bet that his business license fees will go up, too.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:56 PM

I'll share something you may get a kick out of.

I recently spent 10 days in NYC. I was at the Seaport Village when I decided to go for a hot dog, so I bought one from the vendor. I was really disappointed in the dog. It was just like the Lucky Dog I had in New Orleans ~ as uneventual and sad as could be.

However, I had spent $20 at The Met the day before ~ way, way overpriced ~ and so the dog was at least cheap, quick, and simple. I was still happy. (Besides, it left me room for a Haagen Daz ice cream cone!)

Old 10-10-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
I'll share something you may get a kick out of.

I recently spent 10 days in NYC. I was at the Seaport Village when I decided to go for a hot dog, so I bought one from the vendor. I was really disappointed in the dog. It was just like the Lucky Dog I had in New Orleans ~ as uneventual and sad as could be.

However, I had spent $20 at The Met the day before ~ way, way overpriced ~ and so the dog was at least cheap, quick, and simple. I was still happy. (Besides, it left me room for a Haagen Daz ice cream cone!)
Hey blues, sorry you didn't check with me during your trip. I work a few blocks from the Seaport and I would've taken you to my hot dog guy. Notwithstanding his assertions about ingredients going up in prices, he does give a decent dog. Maybe next time.

BTW, I'm assuming you're a female by the handle?

Old 10-10-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Hey blues, sorry you didn't check with me during your trip. I work a few blocks from the Seaport and I would've taken you to my hot dog guy. Notwithstanding his assertions about ingredients going up in prices, he does give a decent dog. Maybe next time.

BTW, I'm assuming you're a female by the handle?
Yes! And I just may remember this next time, because ~ although this trip was supposed to be a one-time shot ~ I'm already entertaining thoughts of going back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City