Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 08:25 AM

4 posts, read 12,040 times

Advertisements

I'm seriously thinking about relocating to NYC but there's one problem-my dogs. I currently have two -85 pound lab/rottweiler mixed dogs (trained in obedience school) and from what I have read in other places, it is extremely hard, if not impossible to find an apartment in NYC (Manhattan especially) that accepts dogs over 25 pounds.
When I visited NYC last November, I actually saw two rottweilers being walked near central park and west 80's. So, what are the odds of me actually finding a place that will accept my dogs and will I have to spend a pretty fortune just to have them with me? Thanks for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 12:29 PM

120 posts, read 439,231 times
not impossible, but will be difficult. i lived in a building that didnt care about size of dogs. didn't even have to put down a deposit. you'll be able to find buildings of all varieties that allow large dogs; just ask in the beginning in order to minimize time wastage.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:02 PM

494 posts, read 560,513 times
It will be very difficult to get a management company to accept 2 dogs, and plus they hear rottweiler it will make it harder. If you can afford a luxury doorman building which run around $2700 and up for a studio/small 1bd, those places will mostlikely be more acceptable to your dog situation. You will have to pay a security deposit as well.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:15 PM

483 posts, read 855,867 times
It will be difficult, however, it can be done. I live in the Upper West Side and I see people walking their dogs all the time. I've seen a lady walking 2 large white German Sheperds, a guy walking 2 boxers and everything else in between. Just make sure you give yourself enough time to find an apartment.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:34 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,219,594 times
I would check out the upper west side and the upper east side. They are both fairly dog friendly areas. I lived on the upper east side and there were a whole bunch of large dogs. I lived on 77th and York - and it was dog central. I have a little dog but all of her friends were big.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:16 AM

467 posts, read 1,868,531 times
79th/York Associates accepts any and all dogs. One couple had a great dane. Their management office is on 78th Street between York and FDR, and I'm pretty sure if you just go in there yourself, they're no fee.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:14 AM

67 posts, read 222,012 times
NYC is not dog-friendly unless you are living in a million dollar apartment.
Most apartment owners love to tell renters what not to do.
To do: Pay $1,ooo plus for an apartment

Not to do: no dogs, no smoking, no children, no washing machines, etc.,

Old 07-10-2010, 11:55 AM

467 posts, read 1,868,531 times
I completely disagree with ThirdCoaster! Only 1/3 to 1/2 of the listings are dog friendly, but it is a VERY dog friendly city. I am on my 4th apartment (2 in Manhattan, 2 in Brooklyn) and I've only had to pay a $500 pet deposit for one apartment. It really depends on the landlord. Some large management companies never allow dogs. Others will allow any dogs. Single owners or smaller companies are easier to talk to because they have less property and spend more time getting to know who they rent to, but I've never had a problem. In my first two apartments, we only had one dog, and she is 32lbs and could probably pass for under 25. In our third apartment, we were approved to have UP TO THREE dogs!! We brought our other dog, who is 65lbs to live there and had no problems, and my current apartment is the same. But I live in Brooklyn now and have found more flexibility here in general. Anyway what I'm trying to say is start your search and don't give up. You WILL find somewhere to live (thought that also depends on your budget, what is it?).

Old 07-11-2010, 02:46 PM

15,665 posts, read 10,439,676 times
It is work to find an apartment that takes big dogs, but it can be done. We have a 65 pound dog and live in Manhattan. Most of the high rises don't accept big dogs and the ones that do are not in the most desirable areas of the city, in my opinion. We used a rental broker and paid a fee to find a very nice townhouse apartment one block from Central Park. Dogs can run unleashed in Central Park from 9pm to 9am. As someone said above, individual landlords are far more flexible about pets than large professionally managed buildings.

Some other things to consider with having a dog or dogs in the city besides housing.

Is a dog park nearby your apartment? If no park or dog park in the neighborhood it is a real pain to exercise dogs here.
Do your dogs like other dogs? Being in the city they are going to encounter lots of other dogs especially at dog parks.
How are they with loud noise? City noises on the street like buses and horns can spook dogs used to quiet suburbia.
How safe is the neighborhood you live in at night? Some areas of Manhattan are populated during the day but pretty desolate in the evening. I doubt anyone would bother you walking 2 giant dogs though, lol.
Are they barkers? Your neighbors won't be too happy with you if they often bark loudly for any length of time.
Finally, vet care in Manhattan is expensive relative to the burbs. Be prepared for a jump in annual vet visit and shot expenses.

I love having my dog here. He loves it, too!

Last edited by texan2yankee; 07-11-2010 at 03:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City