Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 02:10 PM

353 posts, read 1,262,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
Towards Manhattan: 5:30am-12pm, Towards Flushing: 12:30pm-10pm weekdays.
I relied on the 7 the last time I was in NYC, and it only ran express once (and I used it quite a few times in those directions/at those times). I guess it's a temperamental route? I dunno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 02:37 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,775,046 times
I think the trains are terrible - case in point - I waited for a train on Nothern BLVD for 50 minutes the other day after watching 7 trains go passing us by, I went to the token booth man and asked what the issue was and he said "We live in NYC, what do you want?" WTF - are you kidding me - I was like "thank you for telling me where I was geographically, I might not have other wise known where I was." But he was dead serious about that response.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:52 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,634,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I think the trains are terrible - case in point - I waited for a train on Nothern BLVD for 50 minutes the other day after watching 7 trains go passing us by, I went to the token booth man and asked what the issue was and he said "We live in NYC, what do you want?" WTF - are you kidding me - I was like "thank you for telling me where I was geographically, I might not have other wise known where I was." But he was dead serious about that response.
Of course, he shouldn't have said anything like that to you. But I'll tell you this: the station agents (they're not called token clerks any more!) don't actually know what's happening out there on the rails; that isn't their job, for one thing. They'd have to call the nearest terminal to get that kind of information which, obviously, the guy at Northern Boulevard didn't do.

The next time you're in a station and you need that kind of information, ask the station agent to make the call. And here's a tip: if he or she doesn't want to, demand his/her pass number--which they're required to give you upon request--and tell them you're going to make a formal complaint to MTA. Then watch how quickly they reach for that phone!)

Old 01-29-2009, 01:50 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,533,383 times
You would actually go to all that trouble to find out why the trains are f-ed up? Just take out the book you keep in your pocket for these situations and wait. It would NEVER occur to me to ask the "station agent" a question! My wait will be the same, minus an unpleasant interaction with another human.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
You would actually go to all that trouble to find out why the trains are f-ed up? Just take out the book you keep in your pocket for these situations and wait. It would NEVER occur to me to ask the "station agent" a question! My wait will be the same, minus an unpleasant interaction with another human.
The waiting time won't change, but sometimes you just feel better knowing the reason for the delay. (And not all the station agents are unpleasant, just as not all the passengers on the train are pleasant!)

Old 05-12-2010, 04:46 PM

16 posts, read 48,290 times
Sorry for bring this old thread back up, but i didn't want to make a new one. But for the Z Trains during the rush hour Skip-Stop schedule, I always want wonder why the Z trains always stops at Alabama Ave, when the map and the computer screen for what stations it is suppose to stop said the next stop will be van siclen ave after broadway junction. Why is that?

Old 05-12-2010, 08:48 PM

88 posts, read 510,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The waiting time won't change, but sometimes you just feel better knowing the reason for the delay. (And not all the station agents are unpleasant, just as not all the passengers on the train are pleasant!)
agree with fred. I dont mind the wait, as long as i know wth is going on. i can make alternative travel plan, or go out and walk around for a little.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich08Mart View Post
Sorry for bring this old thread back up, but i didn't want to make a new one. But for the Z Trains during the rush hour Skip-Stop schedule, I always want wonder why the Z trains always stops at Alabama Ave, when the map and the computer screen for what stations it is suppose to stop said the next stop will be van siclen ave after broadway junction. Why is that?
Sometimes the easiest answer turns out to be the correct one: if you haven't got the regular crew on the train (conductor or train operator could be on vacation, sick, requested the day off, etc.) then there may well be some confusion about the skip-stop route...and the train will stop at a station it should've skipped.

It could also be the case that our Command Center instructed the train to stop at Alabama (although I personally would doubt that if it seems to happen more regularly there than at other stations along the line).

Next time you're on the Z and it stops at Alabama, ask the conductor why. I'd be interested to learn the answer!

Old 05-13-2010, 02:04 PM

84 posts, read 293,095 times
Is the time schedule for the trains posted/printed anywhere? I'd just be curious and interested to see that. The City Planner side of me loves that kind of stuff!

Old 05-13-2010, 03:09 PM

88 posts, read 510,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn79os View Post
Is the time schedule for the trains posted/printed anywhere? I'd just be curious and interested to see that. The City Planner side of me loves that kind of stuff!
MTA/New York City Transit - Subway Line Schedules

I actually use google map now, which is also pretty accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City