Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 06:07 PM

32 posts, read 257,696 times

Advertisements

Is this area safe? Are the projects near there dangerous? I'm considering an apartment there but it's right across the street from the projects. I visited during the day. One block down was fine with a bunch of strollers and yuppies but none of them seemed to go above 96th. I'd assume it's ok though, right?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 06:10 PM

525 posts, read 2,351,176 times
Fine. No projects on 97th.....if you think they are you have a lot to learn!

I lived on 86th and 3rd for years and while 96th is the invisible line for many on the UES, you will be fine.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:13 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,390,804 times
Yes, no real problems at 3rd & 97th. I concur that you will be fine.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:37 PM

32 posts, read 257,696 times
These are projects right across the street, right? The 'A' is there the apartment is
thanks for your replies!

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-22-2008 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: copywrited material

Old 07-22-2008, 07:00 PM

600 posts, read 2,090,814 times
When I was growing up in Queens we always called Manhattan "the city" lol. We would also sometimes refer to East 96th Street as the "Berlin Wall." The same could have been said about West 125th Street: though we didn't.

The significance of East 96th Street has deep roots in history. Carnegie Hill ends and you enter a more undesirable valley. Blame a glacier on that one!

Likewise, it's the point where the New York Central railroad (now the Metro North) came above ground, making teh area less desiarble. After WWII in the name of the failed policy of urban renewal, East Harlem (north of 96th) was ruined with housing projects.

Pretty much every part of the city has improved since 1990. East Harlem is somewhat better and the immediate 3 blocks north of 96th have become decent, whereas that wasn't the case before. But the huge number of housing projects in east harlem prevent true gentrification.

In a word: 97th is fine. It seems like a nice street. The people in the closeby housing projects seem to know the deal. I say go for it: just focus your entire life on "the South" / And what a great South it is!

Old 07-22-2008, 07:14 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,390,804 times
Yes, I believe you are referring to the NYCHA Washington Houses at 97th & 3rd. While not providing for the best views, it's not really known as a danger in the neighborhood. This stretch of 97th is very close to the 96th border of the UES, and it's not as transitional an area as are blocks further to the north.

Not all NYCHA developments are dangerous, but it does pay to be careful, especially when relocating to a new area. I have friends who live in a nice building in Chelsea, near the NYCHA projects and they have never had an issue with the projects being a blight on the neighborhood, nor have I noticed anything when I have been there at all hours of the night. The only thing might be noted is that there might be an uptick in property crimes, say against vehicles, but that's usually because the superblocks tend to isolate the streets a bit more than would regular apartment or brownstone type development, not as a direct result of the residents of the apartments. I am not an expert on NYCHA projects, but in neighborhoods that are generally safe, the projects peacefully coexist with the rest of the area. I would not be afraid of the 97th St border, in particular, since it's not deep into East Harlem, which is more transitional right now.

That said, I would tend to not recommend walking too far to the north, unless you head west, over towards Mt. Sinai and 5th Avenue. And, on the other side of the projects, you have the hospital, so it's a pretty busy area with all sorts of people and I think you'll be fine.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:28 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,675,618 times
Default 30 years ago...

I recalled Madison Ave and 98th street had burned out buildings but I haven't seen anything like that in that area recently

Old 07-22-2008, 07:33 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,935,675 times
Madison and 98th is fine. No burnt out buildings. Right by Mount Sinai Hospital.

You'll be fine at 97th and Third.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:13 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,675,618 times
Default I remember on the All In The Family...

sitcom in the 70's Archie had lost his job and was seeking employment at an employment agency. When they told him they had a job for him that paid something like $2-3 an hour (this was back in the 70's) he sarcastically asked "where is it in Puerto Rico?" and the counselor told him "close, it's on 97th street and 3rd Avenue"

No racial things intended, it's just that Archie has been a topic here and i recall that intersection being mentioned on that particular show

Old 07-23-2008, 09:38 AM

210 posts, read 971,940 times
I live on 89th and 2 ave-i walk by that area almost every day. it is FINE. there are some projects, but projects people wont eat you! they are not dangerous, i meet them in bars and restaurants all the time. the area is very good and is developing pretty fast. you will be happy there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City