Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 10:17 PM

32 posts, read 168,464 times

Advertisements

I'm coming to NYC this weekend for the Mississippi in Central Park event. We're looking at trying to stay at the Surrey Hotel (E 76th St) because it seemed "close" to the East Meadow of Central Park where the event will take place.

Can someone confirm the distance between E76th street and 5th Ave/97th St? I have 2 small children and I'm hoping to be able to walk from the hotel to the event in central park. Is it far? How long of a walk is it?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 10:20 PM

340 posts, read 1,185,706 times
20 blocks is 1 mile so if ur staying at 76th and 5th and walking to 97th and 5th it would be 1 mile about an 18 min walk.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:24 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,164 times
The surrey is right on Madison, so if you are tired and don't want to walk, you can hop on the M4,M3, or M2 on Madison and ride. Since you can catch any of the three, you won't have to wait long. Then you can just walk from Madison over to the park (2blocks). You will need an MTA card. It's $2 a ride and I think kids under a certain age are free. Madison runs from 76 up to 97. To do the reverse you can catch the same buses on 5th ave going the opposite way.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:42 AM

I have another suggestion for you. My folks like to stay at the Surrey sometimes when they visit and have learned to request a room that does not face 76th or Madison. The noise from the streets, especially the garbage guys through the night, is pretty loud. If you are not used to city noise it will seem even louder. The inside rooms are quiet.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
I have another suggestion for you. My folks like to stay at the Surrey sometimes when they visit and have learned to request a room that does not face 76th or Madison. The noise from the streets, especially the garbage guys through the night, is pretty loud. If you are not used to city noise it will seem even louder. The inside rooms are quiet.
Rudbeckia,

Thanks for the suggestion---I'm thinking about making a reservation at the Hotel Wales--I heard it's much closer to the East Meadow and where the event will take place. Have you heard anything about this hotel?

Alabamafam

Old 06-05-2008, 11:42 AM

I have not heard of that one, but someone else on here might repsond. Good Luck.
War Eagle!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
I have not heard of that one, but someone else on here might repsond. Good Luck.
War Eagle!!!

Rudbeckia,

Thanks again for the info! We're certainly looking forward to visiting the city. Now, let's talk about that War Eagle thing at the end of your email! I'm a graduate of Ole Miss and a Rebel fan----however, my wife is a huge Auburn fan and we battle it out every last Sat of Oct as Ole Miss usually plays Auburn. I signed my post as "Alabamafam" not "fan"---since I'm an Ole Miss fan, I'm not partial to either, but if I had to choose, I would go with Auburn---we just moved to the Boston area from Montgomery so it was certainly War Eagle country there!

If you're around Central Park this weekend come on over to the Mississippi in Central Park event---we'll treat you to some good Mississippi Southern Hospitality and you can wear your Auburn shirt--we won't dig on you too much!

Alabamafam!

Old 06-05-2008, 02:51 PM

lol......So your an Ole Miss fan, this makes you cooler. I figured you for an Alabama fan . I am an Auburn grad.

What is the Mississippi Central Park Event?

Old 06-05-2008, 05:57 PM

757 posts, read 3,363,196 times
Hotel Wales, yes. It was my mom's favorite place to put up family and friends when company exceeded the 3 BR capacity of her apt. (She and my stepfather had seven between them. Add spouses and kids . . . . ) Very nice, Old-World style hotel. I believe there's a Sarabeth's on the ground floor. Excellent restaurant, especially for brunch. Getting hungry just thinking of it.

That stretch of Madison Ave. is a bit quieter overall than the Surrey's neighborhood, but they still get their garbage picked up in the middle of the night.

Rudbeckia, alabamafam posted earlier on this (and you replied! ). The info should be in this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...tral-park.html

Last edited by Carbro; 06-05-2008 at 06:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City