Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 02:56 PM

14 posts, read 60,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Queendido- Do you know of any good thrift shops in the city?
Thrift shops... not uptown, unfortunately. Nothing really thrifty that far north that I know about. There's a Salvation Army in the village and a place with incredible deals on housewares right near it, as well as several underground music stores, but that's much further south than you'll be. There will be a ton of street vendors selling all manner of things, but I don't think that's what you mean either. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 03:05 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,946,770 times
Along Third Avenue in the 80s the Memorial-Sloan Kettering thrift shop and a few others can be found.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:15 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,928,205 times
Thank you all for offering such wonderful advice! I'm going to print out this thread and bring it with me so I can refer back to it once I'm in the city.

Hold125-The directions help a lot! I went online and looked at the train and subway systems but they make my head spin trying to figure it out.

UpStaterinBklyn-Thanks for the menu help! I'm going to go on that website and look for some good places to eat. It's a nice site because it has reviews.

Viralmd-Is the 80s within walking distance from the MOMA?

Old 07-08-2008, 03:28 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,986,001 times
Quote:
Thank you all for offering such wonderful advice! I'm going to print out this thread and bring it with me so I can refer back to it once I'm in the city.

Hold125-The directions help a lot! I went online and looked at the train and subway systems but they make my head spin trying to figure it out.

UpStaterinBklyn-Thanks for the menu help! I'm going to go on that website and look for some good places to eat. It's a nice site because it has reviews.

Viralmd-Is the 80s within walking distance from the MOMA?
Sorry to hear that the subway confuses you, but I'm sure you can ask somebody working there if you need help. You should print out this map just in case. MTA NYC Transit - Subway Service Information

3rd Ave. is four blocks in the opposite direction of the park from where you are. A short walk.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:29 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,946,770 times
It's within walking distance of the Metropolitan. As stated above, Third Avenue isn't far from Fifth.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:43 PM

Can anyone give a recommendation for a restaurant around the MOMA. I looked on the site recommended, which would be great if I knew my way around the city. I'm not too familiar with the street system and where things are so it's kind of difficult to find a restaurant.

As I explained, my daughter is a vegetarian.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:12 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
Perhaps this will help in negotiating around your area in Manhattan:

Fifth Avenue is the dividing line between the East and West sides. Every Avenue off Fifth = 100 in the street numbering system. Thus, if you're on East 80th off Third Avenue, you'd be on the 200 block. (Inconsistency: just remember that Lexington and Madison Avenues don't count in this system. Park Avenue = 4th--which it used to be, once upon a time).

If you cross through Central Park to the Upper West Side, then Central Park West = 8th Avenue, Columbus Avenue = 9th, Amsterdam Avenue = 10th, and West End Avenue = 11th. In this part of town, Broadway doesn't count in the street numbering system until north of 110th Street, where it picks up for West End.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Perhaps this will help in negotiating around your area in Manhattan:

Fifth Avenue is the dividing line between the East and West sides. Every Avenue off Fifth = 100 in the street numbering system. Thus, if you're on East 80th off Third Avenue, you'd be on the 200 block. (Inconsistency: just remember that Lexington and Madison Avenues don't count in this system. Park Avenue = 4th--which it used to be, once upon a time).

If you cross through Central Park to the Upper West Side, then Central Park West = 8th Avenue, Columbus Avenue = 9th, Amsterdam Avenue = 10th, and West End Avenue = 11th. In this part of town, Broadway doesn't count in the street numbering system until north of 110th Street, where it picks up for West End.
Wow! That does help quite a bit.

I did notice on the food website that it is also divided into neighborhoods- west 50's, midtown west, midtown east, etc. Does the MOMA neighborhood have a specific name?

Old 07-08-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Sorry to hear that the subway confuses you, but I'm sure you can ask somebody working there if you need help. You should print out this map just in case. MTA NYC Transit - Subway Service Information

3rd Ave. is four blocks in the opposite direction of the park from where you are. A short walk.

I think I will print the map out. This is the one that is somewhat confusing. Probably because I'm not too familiar with it.

If we do decide to jump on the subway and look around is there a neighborhood that probably wouldn't be a good idea to go to. I know that the city as a whole is pretty safe but remember we're probably going to look like one of the dumb tourists wondering about.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:03 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,307,085 times
Quote:
Wow! That does help quite a bit.

I did notice on the food website that it is also divided into neighborhoods- west 50's, midtown west, midtown east, etc. Does the MOMA neighborhood have a specific name?
Neighborhood names can be tricky. For the food website, MoMA is in the West 50's, or Midtown West. Beware that the West 50's is a big area, and Midtown West even bigger. You want to look for things preferably on a street near W. 53rd St with an address below 300, or on 5th (not likely), 6th, or 7th Avenues.

Vegetarian restaurants in NY:

Vegetarian*-* NYC Restaurants, NYC Menus, Ratings, Reviews, New York City

In West 50's:

Vegetarian, West 50's*-* NYC Restaurants, NYC Menus, Ratings, Reviews, New York City

The place on 57th is pretty down to earth. Be warned that if you're looking more for cloth tablecloth kind of places, this area is generally very expensive as a major business center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City