Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 11:05 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,163,007 times

Advertisements

I live in a LEGAL two-family private home in Bellerose on the Queens side. I'm on a dead-end street. When I moved in almost 20 years ago, I never had any problems parking in front of my own house. But over the last few years - the population as almost doubled. Mainly due to illegal apartments. Although I do realize that the street is public and basically I have no legal right to tell people not to park there I DO take issue with inconsiderate neighbors of which there now are many. It is a common courtesy issue. If my space and the next door spaces are taken and I come home carrying heavy bundles (after knee surgery), why should I be forced to walk and carry when the people who are parked there have perectly good spaces in front of their homes a block away? It makes no sense. When my mother was alive 3 years ago, she had a handicap tag. She could barely walk and neighbors knew this. Did they care??? NO! They still parked there. In the winter when there's snow, why should I struggle to get my parking space shoveled and cleared of snow only to come back and have someone else park there now leaving me with no snow cleared space! Then we have a person from out of state (with out of state plates) who has lived here for 5 years (ILLEGAL you must have NYS plates if living here more than 30 days, and yet the Police tell me that it's not worth their while) and rents an illegal apartment across the street. He must have paid off the police because a few months ago, he not only parked in front of our house, but he also parked at least 6" partially blocking our driveway. I called the police who later drove by and did nothing. In the meantime, my landlady downstairs could barely get out of the driveway. In another instance, one of his friends also from out of state parked with both front and back wheels on the curb! So I left ONE postit note on their windshield stating that they should park on the street and not on the curb and our property, our grass. What was their response? To place two full packs of post it notes ALL OVER my car!! I hate rude and inconsiderate people and I hate this City. As soon as my daughter is in college, I'm leaving you to your spaces and to your illegal apartments. I'm tired of all of it.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:32 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,004,558 times
The above poster is just sick of living in NYC and your gripes are just nonsense..as the cops have shown as well.

1-You "struggeled" to shoveled out your car from the snow so that you can drive it...that's why! That does not entitle you to that parking spot until June or whenever the snow melts. It's first come first served...you moved your car and someone else parked there. I believe that's called public street parking...those are the brakes!
2-Regarding your public courteousy concern about people parking in front of your home, people are parking whereever they can, as you are aware that alot more people are living in the area. The world does not revolve around your convenience, nor does anyone care that you had knee surgery..people must park their cars wherever they can. As soon as the police wave tickets for parking illegally so that you are not inconvenienced, everyone will be happy to accomodate you.
3-I am sorry to hear about your mom...but see #2 above.
4-As for the resident with the out of state tags, I suspect you are making a heck of alot of assumptions. They may be living their with out of state tags...however do you know whether the car is registered in their name? If it is not..then it is moot, and they are not required to do anything and are not breaking any laws. Maybe they are holding the car for a friend who is overseas...and that friend maintains their residence and that is where the car is registered...so that is not a problem either. Point is...you don't know what you are talking about.
5-The post is note fiasco was actually funny... IIt was appropriate in my view..consider yourself lucky they did not key your car, slash your tires, or worse.

Overall, I agree that it is time for you to move on.

Last edited by Viralmd; 06-12-2008 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 06-10-2008, 11:59 AM

You just proved my point - rudeness, lack of consideration, and just plain not giving a damn about anyone but yourself.
If you cannot see that it is wrong to partially block a driveway, then basically you are the same as all the rest of the jaded New Yorkers. I was brought up with somewhat different values apparently. I forgot that these days anything goes...it's ok to block a driveway, it's ok to rent illegal apartments and overpopulate the neighborhood. By the way - I know for a fact that the out of state car is his. The police basically told me that although he is there illegally, it's not a priority.
And for the record - I am NOT old.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:03 PM

And one more thing - I don't like Florida!

Old 06-10-2008, 12:21 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,608,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
4-As for the resident with the out of state tags, I suspect you are making a heck of alot of assumptions. They may be living their with out of state tags...however do you know whether the car is registered in their name? If it is not..then it is moot, and they are not required to do anything and are not breaking any laws. Maybe they are holding the car for a friend who is overseas...and that friend maintains their residence and that is where the car is registered...so that is not a problem either. Point is...you don't know what you are talking about.
IlonaG, You need to listen to this guy. He has figured out what every other New Yorker except you knows. The law only applies to those who care. As long as you ignore the law and show utter contempt for civilization then the cops know there is no benefit from enforcing it and will leave you alone. Despite the fact that the law is applicable even when inconvienent, it is obvious that if you scorn the law you will be okay. So what you need to do is find an out of state friend to register your car for you and double park next to them and bang the crap out of their doors with your walker as you get in and out.

Quote:
5-The post is note fiasco was actually funny...the fact that you complained about someone parking 6 inches into the driveway is completely ludicrous and laughable. I think any reasonable person would think you were a nut and the subsequent post it note blanket on your car was pretty much as ridiculous as your reaction. It was appropriate in my view..consider yourself lucky they did not key your car, slash your tires, or worse.
IlonaG, next time spray paint your request on the windshield. If they key your out-of-state registered car that is doubleparked next to them, remove the paint with a sledge hammer. If you happen to be parked in your driveway and need to get out, just let the air out of the tires (or remove the wheels and put the car on block) and call the cops to report an abandoned vehicle. Once it is towed you will have plenty of room to get out. If that takes too long, you can always just back into the side of the car and claim your glasses prescription is too old and you were on your way to the eye doctor and did not see them parked there. If it is only a inch or two that you need to get by, pehaps you can gain that with the previously mentioned sledge hammer....bumpers compress up to three inches with the proper motivation.

Quote:
Overall, I agree that it is time for you to move on. Not because the city is full of rude or inconsiderate people, but because you have grown bitter and angry in your old age. I believe there is the perfect place for you in Del Boca Vista Phase II, Florida.
IlonaG, Pehaps he is right. If you have become bitter or angry perhaps you should move in close to Guywithacause down in Del Boca Vista Phase II. It seems that he likes it, and his writing surely does not reflect any bad attitute or other indications of lunacy or other reality awarness disorder.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:25 PM

Lol...you will be much happier in Del Boca Vista Phase II...do yourself and your mental/physical health a favor and move out of the city asap..as you are causing your own problems.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:26 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,968,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
You just proved my point - rudeness, lack of consideration, and just plain not giving a damn about anyone but yourself.
If you cannot see that it is wrong to partially block a driveway, then basically you are the same as all the rest of the jaded New Yorkers. I was brought up with somewhat different values apparently. I forgot that these days anything goes...it's ok to block a driveway, it's ok to rent illegal apartments and overpopulate the neighborhood. By the way - I know for a fact that the out of state car is his. The police basically told me that although he is there illegally, it's not a priority.
And for the record - I am NOT old.
don't pay the fool any mind, he's a person that's always lived in mott haven, one of the city's worst ghettos. and he is completely ignorant of how normal people live, all he knows is the ghetto get what you can for yourself attitude, he has no clue as to how in normal places people actually treated each other with courtesy and respect. I know bellerose well and it is a shame how the place is changing, how the over crowding and ignorant newcomers are ruining what was a tranquil place to live.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:38 PM

Yes sounds like the place is absolutely horrible..so I think you have the right idea about moving away...no need to put yourself through all of that. There is a big world out there...and most places in the country will provide you with a driveway, nobody parking on the street..and very few neighbors. America is great...enjoy it!

Old 06-10-2008, 12:40 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,120,850 times
- You can check online with the buildings department to see if they are illegal apts. If they are, report them to the buildings dept. You might check also with the NYFD (in a calm and rational manner). Since these dwellings can actually get them killed they might be willing to help you.

- Apartments don't come with personal parking in NYC.

- The police will ticket someone who is blocking a driveway and then the car can be towed. IF the car is blocking the driveway and if THE OWNER of the driveway is the one doing the yelling.

- Where someone registers their car is none of your business.

From the post it note incident it seems you have been labelled the neighborhood crazy lady. I'm not saying you deserve the title, I'm not saying you don't. But it might be in your best interest to spend more time minding your own business and less time minding the neighborhood's.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:54 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Please space out your posts by using paragraphs and only use bold when necessary. That is very hard on the eyes to read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City