Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 06:10 PM

32 posts, read 95,720 times

Advertisements

Do any of you currently park your car in a garage? If so, on average what do you pay per month and what if any benefits would you say you get from parking in a garage? The autumn chill is in the air and before you know it winter will be upon us and I am a bit tired of having to dig the car out every time there is a snow storm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 06:51 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,872,802 times
If I owned an Audi, I would never leave it parked in the street for long.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:02 PM

We try not to. We currently park in a lot usually that we're being allowed to use at a cheap price because we know the owner personally, but we'd like to store the car inside and are considering in door parking. The main issues are the distances of the indoor garages from our residence and the cost, as we pay next to nothing to park in the lot.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:03 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,036,582 times
Maybe NYC won't have any major blizzards this winter.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:17 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,147,751 times
I'm confused. When you say "off-street parking vs parking in a garage" do you mean that you already have off-street parking, like in a driveway or parking lot, and you are thinking of upgrading to a garage?

Old 10-16-2013, 06:54 AM

25,376 posts, read 37,110,432 times
Henna,
I think the OP probably meant "ON-street parking."

Old 10-16-2013, 07:05 AM

106,786 posts, read 109,020,929 times
Realize most apartment indoor garages assume no responsibility for your cars safety if they are vandalized or stolen.

they consider it no different in that respect than had you parked on the street.

a few years ago we had a period of vandalism to the cars in the garage.

we wanted building security to stake it out and or install cameras.

the building mgmt. was advised not to it as that could be taken as assuming responsibility for the cars in the garage

Old 10-16-2013, 01:24 PM

290 posts, read 689,234 times
I'm curious about this too. I moved up here last year, but with no car. My gf is moving up soon tho and she's bringing her car. So are you able to just park in any building's garage, as long as they have space & you pay whatever cost? You don't have to necessarily live in that building?

Old 10-16-2013, 02:27 PM

282 posts, read 575,890 times
Quote:
I'm curious about this too. I moved up here last year, but with no car. My gf is moving up soon tho and she's bringing her car. So are you able to just park in any building's garage, as long as they have space & you pay whatever cost? You don't have to necessarily live in that building?
I live in Kew Gardens and it totally depends on the building. Where we live now, yes, they rent out spaces to people who don't live in the building as does a building around the corner from us. However, the last place we lived didn't but that was because they had a waiting list for spots. Our current building doesn't.

We pay $200/month but it is totally worth it--no shoveling, no getting the outside mirrors broken off (happened twice in one month), no bird poop, no dings/dents, etc. And no driving around for 15 minutes looking for a spot.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Henna,
I think the OP probably meant "ON-street parking."
No, we currently park in a lot, but outside where it is exposed to the elements. That's why I said off-street parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox17 View Post
I live in Kew Gardens and it totally depends on the building. Where we live now, yes, they rent out spaces to people who don't live in the building as does a building around the corner from us. However, the last place we lived didn't but that was because they had a waiting list for spots. Our current building doesn't.

We pay $200/month but it is totally worth it--no shoveling, no getting the outside mirrors broken off (happened twice in one month), no bird poop, no dings/dents, etc. And no driving around for 15 minutes looking for a spot.
Our dilemma is any indoor garage would be a slight walk and of course more than what we currently pay since the spot we rent the spot we have from a friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City