Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 11:02 AM

37,440 posts, read 39,905,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
I'll concede the 2nd point and even part of the first. Those are family and working class neighborhoods. The inhabitants don't have time for art galleries, pet massage parlors, vegan granola yoga studios, and kombucha breweries. Meanwhile southern Brooklyn includes Coney Island which is full of housing projects with large numbers of Blacks and Hispanics.
Kombucha wasn't invented by hipsters. There are several cultures that were brewing and continue to brew kombucha before this was adopted as the latest miracle cure and this includes working class immigrants to the US. Same to a lesser extent with yoga though I think that's taken even more of a deviation from the original than kombucha has and is becoming so common that saying yoga is some wealthy transplant thing seems increasingly silly. My mom's senior community center full of old and generally not wealthy retirees including immigrants has been offering yoga classes for the last several years at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2022, 11:27 AM

8,385 posts, read 4,509,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I would love for you to get the stats for the bold'd part. My hunch is that you'd need to have a pretty broad definition of immigrants to include first and second generation Americans and consider people from other states to be immigrants for the "almost exclusively" bit to hold true, but I'm not declaring this with any certainty. Bring the stats.

Okay, you might have a point. I should have said significantly rather than almost exclusively.

Old 04-01-2022, 07:22 PM

1,052 posts, read 460,148 times
The point still stands that there are several neighborhoods closely connected to the Bushwick/North Brooklyn scene that are not as sketchy as Cypress Hills. OP should really re-consider Woodhaven, Middle Village around the M and parts of Ridgewood. All of them are close enough, served by the holy hipster trifecta J/L/M/Z trains and safer than Cypress Hills.

Old 06-17-2022, 08:01 AM

17 posts, read 8,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Not fearless just foolish, desperate, and single. They want to live in NYC but have limited funds and are single. If they had money, a dual income household, and /or kids, they wouldn't be living in Cypress Hills.
I'm married, and we both work in decent jobs. We CHOSE this neighborhood because of the nearby parks/cemeteries, local trains, and great bones. And we've lived here for a long time now. I'm sorry you don't know the neighborhood very well, or maybe knew it in a different state a long time ago.

And we totally have time for art galleries.

Old 06-17-2022, 09:19 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,299,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'il Nugget View Post
I'm married, and we both work in decent jobs. We CHOSE this neighborhood because of the nearby parks/cemeteries, local trains, and great bones. And we've lived here for a long time now. I'm sorry you don't know the neighborhood very well, or maybe knew it in a different state a long time ago.

Everything you described , Windsor Terrace and Park Slope also has. Why not Park Slope/Windsor Terrace?

Old 06-20-2022, 11:03 AM

37,440 posts, read 39,905,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
The point still stands that there are several neighborhoods closely connected to the Bushwick/North Brooklyn scene that are not as sketchy as Cypress Hills. OP should really re-consider Woodhaven, Middle Village around the M and parts of Ridgewood. All of them are close enough, served by the holy hipster trifecta J/L/M/Z trains and safer than Cypress Hills.
I mentioned these neighborhoods to the OP early in the thread for their proximity to Bushwick/North Brooklyn scenes and affordability as well as being generally safer than Cypress Hills. OP likely made the choice by now, but I want to clear something up here. I don't personally prefer Cypress Hills to those other neighborhoods, but at the same time I also don't think the part they're talking about that far north of Atlantic Ave is that much cause for alarm. The other neighborhoods are safer, but some of the posters here make it seem like the entirety of Cypress Hills is some kind of no-go zone which I also think is wildly off the mark. What's more, the OP specifically mentioned that she had friends in the neighborhood (who would likely know better than anyone on this forum both about the neighborhood and what the OP's threshold for safety is) *and* that she supposedly got introduced via acquaintances to a good deal for the amount of space that she says she needs and is within her budget. Now, we don't know how good of a deal it is nor do we know just how important that extra space (and how much of it she gets), but I took it at face value while asking her to clarify. Good deals, extra space, etc. can run a large gamut and so it's at least possible that this is overall a good idea given her other options and what she wants.

I think your suggestions, which is a bit self-congratulating as it was also my own suggestions, to look into other neighborhoods is great, and reasonable given your taking into consideration both budget and proximity to things she says she needs to be around. Those are things that somehow completely fell by the wayside for some of the posters on here which I found bizarre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'il Nugget View Post

I think now we're going more into talking about the neighborhood in general rather than what the OP asked, though yea, Cypress Hills can make sense for some people. It's got train service with a quick transfer to multiple lines, proximity / easy access to a lot of restaurants and nightlife (and jobs) in North Brooklyn, greenspace, decent eats, and what is for NYC, a pretty low price. I know a couple who bought a home there also in the northernwestern stretches of the neighborhood, and they are very happy with having done so and it's not far from friends and venues in Williamsburg and Bushwick where they used to rent and did so at a time when buying in Ridgewood was already pretty pricey. Something like 10% of the neighborhood households is above $150K annual income and I'd wager a decent number of those people fit into a similar category of having money to buy close to things they were interested in and wanted to get in before getting priced even further out. This seems similar to what happened in Williamsburg and then Bushwick for the last few decades. Perhaps it'll all go **** up, but they've been quite happy with the decision thus far.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-20-2022 at 11:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City