Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 05:23 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Park, smark. Collect Pond has been rat infested going back ages, and likely never totally will change.

NYC The Blog: Downtown Manhattan's Collect Pond Park Overrun With Rats (VIDEO)

https://blogs.baruch.cuny.edu/histmed3450/?p=170

Much of lower Manhattan is landfill and or built over marsh/swamp land, ponds, streams, etc.. As such you still have water down there, and Norway rats are never far from water. Vast network of subway and other underground structures or areas (some long since forgotten, others still used such as basements, cellars, etc...), all provide areas for rats.

There have always been food places down in Tribeca/FiDi. If nothing else to serve scores of office, Wall Street, civil service, court and other workers down there.

It isn't helping that in over past few decades there was has been an eff ton of new construction in FiDi and Tribeca. When you dig up earth, renovate old buildings, or and so forth you disturb populations of rats.
The bolded is true

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2021, 06:21 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times
NYC city dwellers are just filthy. If they don't make it attractive for rats they don't hang around. I have never had a rat in my personal dwelling. I keep it clean. Store garbage in sealed containers and treat around the perimeters of the house.

Our rental apartments never had rats until one particularly messy tenant moved in. I would literally take photos of crumbs on her staircase and on her floor and send it to her. Almost like she left a trail for them. They were the only ones with rats (on the top floor at that). They moved out and the rat problem was gone. The other tenants are clean.

I visit many dense cities and don’t see the amount of garbage I see in NYC. And people are much cleaner.

I don't even recall seeing rats running around on people on subways in Paris and Paris has a reputation of being dirty (compared to other European cities)

Old 12-26-2021, 08:19 PM

61 posts, read 33,260 times
rat or mice ...once they enter its so hard and painful to RID them...

goodluck to these millionaires....

Old 12-26-2021, 08:26 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
NYC city dwellers are just filthy. If they don't make it attractive for rats they don't hang around. I have never had a rat in my personal dwelling. I keep it clean. Store garbage in sealed containers and treat around the perimeters of the house.

Our rental apartments never had rats until one particularly messy tenant moved in. I would literally take photos of crumbs on her staircase and on her floor and send it to her. Almost like she left a trail for them. They were the only ones with rats (on the top floor at that). They moved out and the rat problem was gone. The other tenants are clean.

I visit many dense cities and don’t see the amount of garbage I see in NYC. And people are much cleaner.

I don't even recall seeing rats running around on people on subways in Paris and Paris has a reputation of being dirty (compared to other European cities)
Maybe not on people (and those instances on NYC subway system were outliers), but Paris Metro has rats. Oh and mice, bats, foxes and whatever else down there.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20200212/fox...metro-journey/

Old 12-26-2021, 08:40 PM

2,328 posts, read 1,026,428 times
New Yorkers are litterbugs. It's cultural. People complain about subway rats yet also throw entire meals onto the tracks. It's disgusting and you don't see this filth in other cities with metro systems like Boston or even Chicago.

Old 12-26-2021, 09:01 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
What a pity because the lofts look gorgeous.

Old 12-27-2021, 03:27 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
It's simply breathtaking how stubborn and what privileged people are willing to put up with, all for the sake of pride that one lives in a 'prime' real estate area.

I don't care if the property was passed down for 25 generations.... I'm not tolerating any of that. Manhattan rats in particular carry vile antibiotic resistant bacteria that can kill children with one bite. They are literally responsible for the Black Plague.

This only happens because people tolerate it and probably have for years on end.

Manhattan has always had this issue since it was literally founded by the native Americans. And each mayor kicks the can down the road. Specially bred minks and terrier breeds are required along with simply removing the food source which means stop encouraging huge density/over-occupancies.

During COVID the rats were lured to the surface and a forward thinking mayor could have taken a once in a lifetime opportunity to kill off a good portion of the population. Even a 20-30% dent could have worked wonders in terms of reducing net expenses and damage from rodents sustained annually to infrastructure.

Old 12-27-2021, 04:15 AM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
It's simply breathtaking how stubborn and what privileged people are willing to put up with, all for the sake of pride that one lives in a 'prime' real estate area.

I don't care if the property was passed down for 25 generations.... I'm not tolerating any of that. Manhattan rats in particular carry vile antibiotic resistant bacteria that can kill children with one bite. They are literally responsible for the Black Plague.

This only happens because people tolerate it and probably have for years on end.

Manhattan has always had this issue since it was literally founded by the native Americans. And each mayor kicks the can down the road. Specially bred minks and terrier breeds are required along with simply removing the food source which means stop encouraging huge density/over-occupancies.

During COVID the rats were lured to the surface and a forward thinking mayor could have taken a once in a lifetime opportunity to kill off a good portion of the population. Even a 20-30% dent could have worked wonders in terms of reducing net expenses and damage from rodents sustained annually to infrastructure.
Native American Indians didn't know from Norway (brown) rats until they arrived with Europeans on their ships.

Rats used to living underground in say sewers, subway and other tunnels don't just climb to surface, lured or otherwise. Unless they know where "up" is, and or otherwise can find a way they stay below ground. Rats you see climbing out of sewers, subway grates, or otherwise coming above ground into basements or whatever areas follow usually a long established path or something.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/28/s...york-city.html

Even if it were possible to wipe out all rats living underground or otherwise in Manhattan within a geographical area, give it time, and new rats would move in and colonize. You'd have to wipe out rats totally on Manhattan island to have a fighting chance at total annihilation . That wouldn't last forever either; rats would soon start moving back onto Manhattan via subway/train tunnels, swimming across water from Bronx, hitching rides on trucks or trains, and of course ships.

Manhattan (or New York City for that matter) is no longer is a major port city which is how rats got here in first place, so that's one mercy.

Old 12-27-2021, 06:58 AM

1,056 posts, read 541,921 times
I love how the lawyer says "“We deny all of the allegations raised in the complaint and we are confident that this lawsuit will be dismissed,” said attorney Richard Klein."

Meanwhile there's a photo from a Nest security camera showing a rat in a living room.

That's why they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Old 12-27-2021, 07:40 AM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Luxury apts? So the rats wear spats, top hat, tails (!), white gloves, monocle, & carry a cane?
No. Nowhere does it say the rats wear finery. You are turning them into objects of ridicule with your anthropomorphism bit. Shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City