Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2021, 07:11 PM

593 posts, read 471,600 times

Advertisements

For the market-rate renters, I always wondered what percentage of their rent was actually hidden property tax. Difficult to unravel, but property taxes are one of landlords' significant expenses, and this is ultimately paid by the tenants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2021, 05:34 AM

16,150 posts, read 6,896,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
For the market-rate renters, I always wondered what percentage of their rent was actually hidden property tax. Difficult to unravel, but property taxes are one of landlords' significant expenses, and this is ultimately paid by the tenants.

No matter how you slice it......

Renters need to understand.....it is not their home !
They are paying someone to provide a roof over their head.

If a landlord takes on a renter to ease the burden of paying bills fine.
If the landlord leaves the apartment empty he takes on a second job
to pay the bills while leaving a family in search with one less opportunity
to gain shelter.

The greatest accomplishment one can achieve in the United States is owning a home
but it takes lot of time, sweat ,tears, back breaking, and bone grinding to get there.
Once there.......things become a bit easier..............enter the tenant.

Old 12-05-2021, 01:08 PM

2,317 posts, read 1,158,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I just checked my January bill online and it says it is using the 2022 tax rates and my taxes went down about 5%. That was a nice surprise.

Same here, a 5.254% decrease on my 1-family home on SI:

Tax class 1 - Small Home, Less Than 4 Families Tax Rate
Original tax rate billed 21.0450%
New Tax rate 19.9630%
Estimated Market Value $560,000

Annual property tax $5,605.60

Original property tax billed in June 2021 $5,916.48
Change In Property Tax Bill Based On New Tax Rate $-310.88

Old 12-05-2021, 04:52 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,710,579 times
Quote:
I just checked my January bill online and it says it is using the 2022 tax rates and my taxes went down about 5%. That was a nice surprise.
So does that mean that Republicans will start praising DeBlasio?

Old 12-05-2021, 06:02 PM

4,201 posts, read 4,100,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
So does that mean that Republicans will start praising DeBlasio?
I believe the City Council sets property tax rates. I don’t know if the mayor has to sign off on the rates. The system is still broken when a $2 million property in Park Slope is taxed less than my home in Queens which isn’t worth close to that amount.

Old 12-06-2021, 06:59 AM

106,879 posts, read 109,133,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
No matter how you slice it......

Renters need to understand.....it is not their home !
They are paying someone to provide a roof over their head.

If a landlord takes on a renter to ease the burden of paying bills fine.
If the landlord leaves the apartment empty he takes on a second job
to pay the bills while leaving a family in search with one less opportunity
to gain shelter.

The greatest accomplishment one can achieve in the United States is owning a home
but it takes lot of time, sweat ,tears, back breaking, and bone grinding to get there.
Once there.......things become a bit easier..............enter the tenant.
i gladly pay the owners of our building rent ..it allows us to deploy our own money in far better opportunities…what we make on that money not tied up in our house anymore not only pays the rent but all our yearly expenses in retirement and it is still growing.

Old 12-07-2021, 05:25 AM

Quote:
I believe the City Council sets property tax rates. I don’t know if the mayor has to sign off on the rates. The system is still broken when a $2 million property in Park Slope is taxed less than my home in Queens which isn’t worth close to that amount.
Well done.
Nothing more need to be said................

Old 12-07-2021, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i gladly pay the owners of our building rent ..it allows us to deploy our own money in far better opportunities…what we make on that money not tied up in our house anymore not only pays the rent but all our yearly expenses in retirement and it is still growing.

True.

Success comes in many ways.
You have found yours.
The only limit is yourself.

Old 12-18-2021, 09:33 AM

25,387 posts, read 37,130,658 times
Quote:
That inequitable system of home valuation for tax purposes got broken decades before deBlasio was born.

Usually, only a systemic revaluation of ALL properties in any city is done and the SAME tax rate is applied to market value will any degree of fairness be achieved.
Of course, that fairness will only apply for the single instant that it is done because of continuously fluctuating desirability of certain areas.

Trouble is that whenever the topic of a new reval comes up anywhere, all homeowners unreasonably go ballistic, so old valuations continue long after they are antiquated and grossly unfair. Reval is probably the word that frightens politicians the most.

A good read on the unique system NYC uses to value property unfairly:

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...thodology.html

Last edited by Kefir King; 12-18-2021 at 09:48 AM..

Old 12-18-2021, 01:33 PM

4,201 posts, read 4,100,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
That inequitable system of home valuation for tax purposes got broken decades before deBlasio was born.

Usually, only a systemic revaluation of ALL properties in any city is done and the SAME tax rate is applied to market value will any degree of fairness be achieved.
Of course, that fairness will only apply for the single instant that it is done because of continuously fluctuating desirability of certain areas.

Trouble is that whenever the topic of a new reval comes up anywhere, all homeowners unreasonably go ballistic, so old valuations continue long after they are antiquated and grossly unfair. Reval is probably the word that frightens politicians the most.

A good read on the unique system NYC uses to value property unfairly:

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...thodology.html
My thread is about tax class 1 used for private houses. Your link is for class 2 rental and coops/condos properties which must have its own and different issues.

As far as class 1 properties, I don’t think the property valuations are the problem so much as are the assessed values. For example, my childhood home is valued at $782,000 with an assessed value of $27,000. Typical homes where I live now are valued at around $700,000 with an assessed value of $38,000. The assessed value less any exemptions is multiplied by the city property tax rate so net taxes are much higher in my current neighborhood despite having a lower market value than some higher priced homes elsewhere in NYC. That is ultimately unfair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: