Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 05:46 PM

9 posts, read 37,729 times

Advertisements

I'm low 20's and I'll be going to law school for the next 3 years in Greenwich Village. I'm looking for an apartment under $1400 with utilities, with a 20-30 minute commute to 14th St and 5th Ave. From my research, it looks like an apartment within walking distance to the L train is my best bet. I'm also looking in Jersey City, but have family on Long Island that I would be closer to in Brooklyn. I don't have a preference as far as apartment styles, just the cleanest/largest for my money and commute. A decent neighborhood would be good too. What are my options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 12:11 PM

Does anyone know anything about Patio Gardens or Ebbets Field apartments, just east of Prospect Park?

Patio Gardens - 580-590 Flatbush Ave. | Map & Driving Directions | Apartments.com (http://www.apartments.com/partner/location.aspx?page=location&property=129003.1&part ner=email&prvpg=8&pdriveit=0&pdrivefrm=1 - broken link)

Old 05-22-2008, 02:39 PM

510 posts, read 2,243,581 times
The Patio Gardens complex is on an all out advertising blitz in the city right now. Not the most desirable and arguably not the safest area to live. You can certainly do much better for $1400.

Williamsburg or more specifically East Williamsburg is possible for a $1400 studio. Maybe a small place in Fort Greene.

Even in Bay Ridge I can make it to Union Square in about 30 mins during rush hour.

I would think any of the above options are better than the Patio Gardens complex.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:51 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,116,728 times
If you don't stop telling people to move to Bay Ridge, I'm afraid we're going to have to ask you to leave.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:09 PM

510 posts, read 2,243,581 times
Hahaha. I usually make it clear that I do not recommend it for newcomers to the city who are looking for the fast paced NYC life.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:59 PM

Well Patio Gardens is actually either $1000 for a studio or $1175 for a 1 bedroom. I figured it would be relatively safe because it is on the main road there (right at Flatbush Ave and Washington Ave).

According to HopStop, Bay Ridge is more like 45min from 14th St. Anything I'm missing there?

I'm going to check out the area at Patio Gardens just because it is relatively cheap. However, I'm up for other options in the $1200-1400 range, within 30 minutes to 14th St. Williamsburg is one option that I am researching.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:53 AM

877 posts, read 2,767,995 times
I can't answer for the apartments in Patio Gardens or Ebbets Field but the surrounding areas are decent, not the best areas in Brooklyn but decent. From where Patio Gardens is located I would say that the train commute would be in the time range that you are talking about. It is also a Carribean area so it will get pretty loud around Labor Day but during other times it appears to be quiet. At least that is how it appears when I get off at the Prospect Park station at night. The area that it is located in is called Prospect Leffert Gardens and there is some great architecture around there also.

Ebbets Field is on the other side of Empire Blvd and a couple of blocks from Flatbush, on Beford I think. From my understanding the complex is having some problems as far as repairs is concerned but I rarely hear anything about it. Too me, Ebbets Field is not as easily accessible as Patio Gardens as far as trains are concerned.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:59 AM

34,068 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhaust50 View Post
Well Patio Gardens is actually either $1000 for a studio or $1175 for a 1 bedroom. I figured it would be relatively safe because it is on the main road there (right at Flatbush Ave and Washington Ave).

According to HopStop, Bay Ridge is more like 45min from 14th St. Anything I'm missing there?

I'm going to check out the area at Patio Gardens just because it is relatively cheap. However, I'm up for other options in the $1200-1400 range, within 30 minutes to 14th St. Williamsburg is one option that I am researching.

i've never been in patio gardens but the placed is gated and has security booths. however, the surrounding area is one of the worst parts of flatbush.

please check it out and report back to us.

as for ebbets field, its a step up from the projects. take that statement however you want.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-23-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i've never been in patio gardens but the placed is gated and has security booths. however, the surrounding area is one of the worst parts of flatbush.

please check it out and report back to us.

as for ebbets field, its a step up from the projects. take that statement however you want.
I will definitely check it out, but I'm a little confused. Are you saying Lefferts Gardens is one of the worst areas of Flatbush, or when you go a few blocks east of there? The subway is about 1 block west, so I don't imagine heading east of the apartment for any reason. Plus the park is west.

Also, those rent prices include utilities and no broker fee, which in itself would add at least $100 monthly at this price range.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:37 AM

Also, according to the crime statistics, it looks like improvements have been dramatic:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs071pct.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City