Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2008, 10:27 PM

28 posts, read 130,856 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are flying in from Vermont for a day to see The Whitney biennial on Tuesday, May 6. Can anyone recommend some good restaurants nearby, preferably within walking distance or a short cab ride away? We're adventurous eaters, so feel free to recommend cuisine in any style on any budget.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 12:38 AM

757 posts, read 3,362,982 times
An easy walk for a bite of delicious Burmese. Not fancy, inexpensive, but yummmmmmy!

Cafe Mingala - NYC Restaurant & Menu Guide. Menus, Ratings, Reviews. New York City, NY

You have some very good restaurants in Vermont, but I betcha don't get a lot of Burmese, do you?

Old 04-28-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
An easy walk for a bite of delicious Burmese. Not fancy, inexpensive, but yummmmmmy!

Cafe Mingala - NYC Restaurant & Menu Guide. Menus, Ratings, Reviews. New York City, NY

You have some very good restaurants in Vermont, but I betcha don't get a lot of Burmese, do you?
No we don't. Sounds perfect, thanks!

Old 04-28-2008, 12:10 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Don't know anything nearby to recommend but two places I like to look for suggestions are Manhattan - Chowhound and yelp.com

Chowhound is harder to search as you will be looking at a board that is all of Manhattan but there tend to be alot of "foodies" on there. Yelp you can search for restaurant reviews within one mile of your location.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:46 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
There are interesting restaurants all along Second Avenue in that neighborhood - Turkish, Thai (OK, not terribly exotic any more, but good), etc.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:36 PM

Bump.

So, we didn't end up going to The Whitney because I stupidly booked the flight for a Tuesday and the Whitney is closed then. The $200 fee to reschedule the flight made sure I learned that lesson the hard way.

Two hundred dollars poorer, I'm thinking about reconsidering my transport to and from JFK to the Whitney.

I read that it's a flat fare to and from JFK to Manhattan, $45. Is that correct?

Also, according to the Whitney Web site, the museum can be reached by
subway, taking 6 Train to 77th Street. Can I get en route to The Whitney via subway at JFK?

Thanks!

Old 05-12-2008, 05:40 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Yes, the flat fare is $45, but that doesn't include the tolls for bridges/tunnels or the tip.

Getting to the Whitney directly from JFK? You'd have to catch the bus to the Air Train then get off at 42nd Street, take the shuttle to the East side and then catch the 6 uptown to 77th Street, get off and walk to Madison and 75th Street. You sure you want to do this with luggage in tow?

Old 05-12-2008, 07:40 PM

Thanks for the tip! No luggage, it'll just be a day trip. But yeah, it's too much of a hassle. I'll cab it. Arriving just before 9 AM, and I have an 11 PM departure. Plan on a two hour cab ride both ways?

Old 05-12-2008, 08:51 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,982 times
Call 1-800-BLUEVAN for the SuperShuttle. Picks you up at your terminal, drops you where you want to be, slightly more expensive (before tip) than the airport bus to 42nd St. & Eighth Ave, less than half the cost of a cab. You'll share with others and may have to wait for driver to drop them and circle around the city a little, but it's my airport transportation of choice.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:51 PM

Sound advice. I used them last time I was in the city (to see Cream). I was a little concerned with transit time when it comes to Supershuttle, because all told I'm only going to have about 12 hours in the city. But if the ride from JFK to the Whitney is going to be comparable either way, then you're right, SuperShuttle is the way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City