Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2020, 09:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,169 times

Advertisements

Hey there. Looking for some advice regarding a specific block on the border of UES/East Harlem. To preface, my husband and I have been living in Washington Heights for 4 years and are no strangers to the realities of everyday life in Upper Manhattan. On the whole, we have felt very safe and comfortable in our current apartment. We are set to move to E. 96th St. between 1st and 2nd Ave. and just today had the opportunity to visit the property (housing provided by Mt. Sinai for a residency program). We have spent time on the UES before, but to say we were sketched out by this block would be an understatement. It feels absolutely desolate by Manhattan standards, and I'm not thrilled by the condemned building on one corner and the gas station on the other. Does anyone have any specific experience with this block? I know the area overall is very safe, but I expected to feel more comfortable in broad daylight than I did on our soon-to-be-street. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2020, 10:29 PM

31,899 posts, read 26,945,953 times
That area is what it is (live on UES, but further down).

Condemned building (300 East 96th) was ordered vacated due to large cracks some blamed on SAS construction going back to 2009, but finally DOB ordered people out in 2017. Not sure if things have been fixed and people allowed to move back in or what.

That part of Yorkville, and even north into Spanish Harlem from Second to Third or even Lexington is rather nice from say 96th to maybe low one hundreds.

South of 96th you're fine; it is a nice old Yorkville neighborhood not that much different than Washington Heights. Mixture of people who have been there for ages and new arrivals.

Main issue will be the noise/traffic along 96th since it is main approach for FDR Drive north bound. That also explains why that gas station (one I use often) is so popular, well that and it is the only one on UES below 96th so you get tons of cabs and for hire cars plus other drivers.

You don't have any reasons to walk/go east along 96th towards First unless trying to get over to Carl Schurz Park (starts at 90th off East End avenue), or maybe if you know people in that part of Yorkville.

Area has changed for the better in past ten years or so and getting better. Arrival of SAS station at 96th has meant major gentrification for area that is still going on.

Case in point when Normandie Court (that large full block building between Second and Third on 96th) first went up no one would live that far north. So they ended up taking in tons of college students or recent post grads. So much so the place got nicknamed "Dormandie" Court.

Knew a few nurses that worked at Mount Sinai, including one that lived at nurses residence on 105th street. Others lived in various parts of UES and walked to and from work for most part and didn't have problems.

Going to and from Mount Sinai I'd suggest sticking to 96th at least until Park Avenue, especially evenings/late/over night hours. That or if late taking a taxi or bus.

Old 05-30-2020, 10:41 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,426,022 times
96th St. has always been a dividing line between safe and Spanish Harlem. I only say safe because most people wouldn't venture North from 96th.

The upside to that area is you get access to some interesting ethnic hole in the wall eateries within walking distance. I could easily walk to 116th St. for Cuchifritos but then again I grew up in the city.

So in conclusion . 96th St. is the dividing line between white/people of color. If you feel uneasy about that then find another area.

Old 05-30-2020, 10:50 PM

2 posts, read 5,169 times
Thank you so much for the thorough replies. Diversity is no issue, we have enjoyed living in a building with people from all walks of life and prefer it to staying in our bubble.

I can't tell if I'm reading too much into it, but I just got a bad vibe between those two corners. Seemed all good just a block north, south, east, or west, but specifically sketch between 1st and 2nd there on 96th.

Probably didn't help that our first impression was a gentleman relieving himself on the sidewalk in front of the building next to ours, but where doesn't that happen in NYC.

Will probably just have to feel it out when we move, a lot of places can seem "creepy" until they become familiar. The devil you know.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:04 PM

31,899 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KokoHead View Post
Thank you so much for the thorough replies. Diversity is no issue, we have enjoyed living in a building with people from all walks of life and prefer it to staying in our bubble.

I can't tell if I'm reading too much into it, but I just got a bad vibe between those two corners. Seemed all good just a block north, south, east, or west, but specifically sketch between 1st and 2nd there on 96th.

Probably didn't help that our first impression was a gentleman relieving himself on the sidewalk in front of the building next to ours, but where doesn't that happen in NYC.

Will probably just have to feel it out when we move, a lot of places can seem "creepy" until they become familiar. The devil you know.
As with other parts of UES the SAS has been both a blessing and curse. While myself and scores of other love the new subway, it has also given/attracted a certain element that now has easy access to what once was a rather far away place. There are a lot more suspect people on Second, First and even Third avenues now since subway arrived. This goes from 96th right on down to 72nd . They are harmless for most part, but again you just have to keep your wits about you regardless.

Probably you're going to be going south along Second, Third or whatever unless heading to Central Park or over to Mount Sinai. The KeyFood down on 90th on Second is one supermarket. There is a C-Town on First at 89th which I find nicer however.

Indeed when you walk down First south of 96th you'll feel like things are night and day. It is a quiet little village area around Gracie Mansion and CS park that is totally unlike 96th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City