Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 08:19 PM

997 posts, read 839,603 times

Advertisements

Afternoon rush hour traffic at this intersection and the FDR is absolutely horrible and something needs to be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 08:30 PM

12,799 posts, read 8,440,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Afternoon rush hour traffic at this intersection and the FDR is absolutely horrible and something needs to be done.
The FDR was a parking lot today. The traffic problem is citywide and something needs to be done. Too many people driving, especially on weekends. I wonder how many people on this site drive and how many are the only ones in their car?

Old 05-21-2017, 08:36 PM

997 posts, read 839,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The FDR was a parking lot today. The traffic problem is citywide and something needs to be done. Too many people driving, especially on weekends. I wonder how many people on this site drive and how many are the one ones in their car?
Exactly. Im sure nothing will be done unless a stink is made.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Im sure nothing will be done unless a stink is made.
This NYTimes article touches on what is causing it. I don't understand why this hasn't been talked about more on this forum. There are plenty of people that seem to drive here and the rest seem to use the subway and swear by it despite clear evidence that the subways are worsening, so how are people getting around and how much longer are trips taking?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/06/n...tion.html?_r=0

Old 05-21-2017, 08:53 PM

32,333 posts, read 27,557,726 times
Quote:
Traffic up there is always bad and you already named one of main reasons; it is an on ramp to the FDR.

You have traffic going east bound attempting to either reach First and or get onto the FDR.

Traffic going north on First and either wanting to continue but largely also wanting to get onto the FDR.

Traffic going to and coming out of that gas station, which by the way is really the only one left on the UES below 96th IIRC.

You also have traffic gong south along service road alongside/under FDR, then the reverse on the north bound side.

All this with lights at the above avenues/service roads, and adding to the fun usually traffic enforcement agents. The latter nearly always seem to make matters worse in terms of traffic flow IMHO.

What happens is what always happens at major cross town routes/approaches to tunnels or bridges. Drivers cannot clear the box before light changes and thus block traffic that (then) has the green light.

It does not help that the on ramp to FDR on 96th is barely two lanes wide having to absorb not only traffic coming on from 96th but off the service road as well.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:42 PM

2,496 posts, read 3,803,418 times
Traffic delays on the weekends in NYC? Really I had no idea lol.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:03 PM

15,963 posts, read 14,659,007 times
Nothing will be done to help drivers, because the city government is on a jihad against cars and drivers, especially in and around Manhattan. There are something like 2,000,000 drivers in NYC. I think they need to be more militantly assertive with the city about accommodating them.

Quote:

Old 05-21-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Nothing will be done to help drivers, because the city government is on a jihad against cars and drivers, especially in and around Manhattan. There are something like 2,000,000 drivers in NYC. I think they need to be more militantly assertive with the city about accommodating them.
They should be. What is up with so many people driving anyway? So many people on the road and very people in each car?

Old 05-22-2017, 08:42 AM

11,197 posts, read 9,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
They should be. What is up with so many people driving anyway? So many people on the road and very people in each car?
The city should create carpool programs and give a tax benefit for those that participate.

I see people in big ass SUVs with no passengers (civilian cars not taxis/ubers,etc).

Old 05-22-2017, 10:39 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,419,133 times
I avoid driving into the city at all costs and I am surprised when my coworkers tell me they do.

But honestly, for many of these people it still ends up being faster and/or more convenient than the subway. Now that my closest subway is closed and every weekend is a shuttle bus for who knows HOW long, it makes me want to drive too.

I used to drive to work when I worked outside of the city. I had to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City