Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2008, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 9,042 times

Advertisements

I am soliciting the help of New Yorkers that know where the best areas in Brooklyn are for a fast, safe commute to NYU.

I've read that Prospect Park is probably one of the best places to live in Brooklyn but I'm not sure I can quite afford the rent.

Does anyone have any recommendations that are also safe near Prospect Park or close to the metro lines?

Also, I have a car that I will need an area that is safe to park (without paying for parking garages) but will not use this for commute.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 03:09 PM

34,134 posts, read 47,356,745 times
First, why are you limiting yourself to Brooklyn?
Second, how can you afford in rent?
Third, the car will be an issue, because we have alternate side of the street parking. Certain sides of the streets cannot be parked on at certain times so that they can be cleaned.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-26-2008, 09:29 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,151,355 times
Prospect Park is surrounded by these neighborhoods: Windsor Terrace, Park Slope, Prospect Heights, Crown Heights, Prospect Lefferts Gardens, and Prospect Park South.
You can see that from this map City of Neighborhoods - New York City Department of City Planning

It's an official nyc map from the gov't but I really think they are wrong by showing that Crown Heights does not border the park. It does, and it north of Prospect Lefferts Gardens and south of Prospect Heights.

Anyway, the "good" neighborhoods near the park are Park Slope and Windsor Terrace. Kensington is nearby as well and also nice. Prospect Heights is hip and also sort of expensive but IMHO is not safe enough to merit having those prices. Crown Heights is not a nice place to live (my opinion only). Lefferts Gardens and Prospect Park South are considered sketchy by some and have the low-ish rents to match but plenty of people live there successfully and safely.

Having said all that, I actually think you are going at this all wrong - which I think may be what seventhfloor was getting at.

First, you determine what your price range is for monthly rent. Will you consider roommates? This will help if you are on a budget. Remember to factor in utilities. THEN and only then do you move on to figuring out what neighborhood is best for you.

And if you are truly on a budget, you may want to expand your search to areas of Brooklyn that are not near the park, and also to other boroughs such as Queens, which tend to be cheaper.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:32 PM

I want to add that parking for your car should NOT be an after-thought. Almost all areas where you will be looking for apartments have alternate side parking. If you want a place to park outside your place without paying for parking and without having to consider moving it all the time at specific times for street cleaning, then you will end up living somewhere like Middle Village Queens. And you will not be near a subway. That's the way it goes.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:45 AM

34,134 posts, read 47,356,745 times
Henna, actually Crown Heights does not touch the park. Crown Heights ends at Franklin Avenue. After Franklin Avenue, the neighborhood is Prospect Heights north of Eastern Parkway, and Prospect-Lefferts Gardens south of Eastern Parkway. :-)

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-27-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Henna, actually Crown Heights does not touch the park. Crown Heights ends at Franklin Avenue. After Franklin Avenue, the neighborhood is Prospect Heights north of Eastern Parkway, and Prospect-Lefferts Gardens south of Eastern Parkway. :-)
Yes, I know that's the official story on the nyc.gov website, but a location such as Crown St. between Bedford Ave and Washington Ave (for instance) -- and this is north of Empire Blvd -- is widely thought of to be Crown Heights. I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

Here's an article saying that north of Empire Blvd. is Crown Heights.
village voice > nyclife > Neighborhoods: Close-Up on Crown Heights by Carol Telpha

Also, the website of Crown Heights North Association also states the same thing About Us (http://www.crownheightsnorth.com/About_Us_1.html - broken link)
"Based on a survey conducted by the Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1978, the team delineated Crown Heights as being the section bound on the north by Atlantic Avenue, on the south by Empire Boulevard, on the southeast by East New York Avenue and on the west by Washington Avenue."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: