Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2007, 02:19 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times

Advertisements

My son is interested in attending the Art Institute of Manhatten. They house students in Brooklyn at one of two places. One is The Hotel St. George,Weller Building Residence, 100 Henry Street (at Clark) Brooklyn Heights.

Can anyone please comment on whether or not this is a safe area?

Also, ayone with any first hand knowledge of what it is like to live in this housing would be doing me a huge favor to share info.

THANKS SO MUCH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 06:52 PM

11 posts, read 190,561 times
I've stayed in the residence you're talking about. Did you go through Educational Housing Services? It's very safe. The area around the residence is clean and it's mostly residential so its not too noisy. It's the wealthier section of Brooklyn with a lot of brownstones. There's lots of young families around with kids and older people. There's a Gristedes (grocery store) on the corner across the street and the 2/3 train is right next to the building! As far as the building, it is great! I loved living there. It's pretty much a dorm atmosphere. The rooms are clean and modern, there's laundry in the basement which is convenient, and there are computers residents can use and a lounge area with a TV. There's 24 hour security-there's always a guard sitting at the front desk and to get into the residence you need to scan your ID card. Hope this helps. If there's anything else you want to know, just let me know!

Old 12-11-2007, 09:03 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy03 View Post
I've stayed in the residence you're talking about. Did you go through Educational Housing Services? It's very safe. The area around the residence is clean and it's mostly residential so its not too noisy. It's the wealthier section of Brooklyn with a lot of brownstones. There's lots of young families around with kids and older people. There's a Gristedes (grocery store) on the corner across the street and the 2/3 train is right next to the building! As far as the building, it is great! I loved living there. It's pretty much a dorm atmosphere. The rooms are clean and modern, there's laundry in the basement which is convenient, and there are computers residents can use and a lounge area with a TV. There's 24 hour security-there's always a guard sitting at the front desk and to get into the residence you need to scan your ID card. Hope this helps. If there's anything else you want to know, just let me know!
Daisy, thank you SO much for your reply! Did you by any chance attend the Art Institute? It is good to hear you liked your time at the St. George and thought the accomadations were great. Did you feel safe coming home to it late at night? Like it you went out clubbing, was the trip home after midnight scary or okay?

Old 12-12-2007, 08:20 AM

11 posts, read 190,561 times
No, I didn't attend the art institute. I stayed there over the summer while I was doing an internship in the city. I worked in the Lower East Side so the commute was convenient. I would go out late on the weekends and I definitely felt safe walking back by myself. It also helps that the entrance to the subway is less than a minute from the place. You just step out the door, walk a couple steps and it's right there. It's a great neighborhood, but like anywhere, you always need to keep your guard up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City