Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 12:38 PM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times

Advertisements

NY is doing the same thing as CA, NJ, PA, IL, OH, HI and probably others I can't think of off the top of my head.

The only way companies will go away is if the high skill workers they look for in the cities go away. But it's a bit of a catch 22 for both of them. A high skill worker who decides he doesn't want to be in a major city likely limits his income. If they scatter to the wind, it makes it difficult for companies to find a location that grants them access.

Companies may decide that they can let everyone work remotely. But that's been tried and found lacking (Facebook for example.) Companies seem to want their employees in house as much as possible.

So in the end I think things will go back to what they were before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
There will absolutely be long term negative affects for the city. The incompetence of our government for starters has been exposed. Businesses that don’t need to be here will think twoce before subjecting themselves to our situation in the future.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:41 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Frankly a number of prisoners and potential victims will be dead, just as law enforcement and corrections officers are dying. You should perhaps direct your comments to the police and corrections officers unions, as they are literally dying.

What happens if a significant number of law enforcement are disabled or killed due to pandemic? What happens if a significant number of corrections officers die?

Yes, it’s the failure of governments who did not properly secure safer apparatus.

You might stay in Boston because very soon the Bronx is not going to be a place where you want to be on for multiple reasons relating to this pandemic. The density and the very filth of housing projects by them ideal for large scale disease transmission. As they overload all of the hospitals there will be insufficient space for anyone one, regardless of why they are going. You could have an injury that needs attention and you won’t get help.

No worries. I carry a travel insurance for every day of the year, which covers $500k in medical transportation cost. I can be airlifted back to Boston from any place on the planet if I have a medical emergency, including from the Bronx. But gee, thank you for the advice to stay in Boston right now, I would have never thought of that myself, I was just about to go to the Bronx :-).

Old 03-29-2020, 12:46 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,087,399 times
The rich including doctors, lawyers, politicians have already moved their families
out of the city to safer areas upstate or elsewhere in the country. It's the poor that are
trapped in the city ready to test positive for Caronavirus.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:47 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Good news but sad we have to buy these critical items from an adversary. Trump has been saying since he was elected that we need to find a way to bring production back the the USA. I'd also rather being buying this stuff from India, an English-speaking ally rather than from China.
While I agree with you, this is the natural course of action when American industry has moved large portions of its business overseas to countries like China.

We definitely need the ability to make these things at home. We should not have to rely on other nations (friend or foe) to make these things for us. That's dangerous.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:48 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
New York City 33,768 cases with 678 deaths additional 1,543 cases were confirmed. . . .

The new totals show increases of 3,150 diagnoses and 161 deaths in the 24-hour span since Saturday morning — a grim tally that equates to one death every 8.9 minutes.

New York reports 7,195 new cases of coronavirus and 237 new deaths.

A total of 59,513 cases and 965 deaths.
Aren’t these numbers an improvement? If the virus spread truly were exponential, wouldn’t the newly reported NY cases be multiples of this (even allowing for testing shortages).

Perhaps the shutdown is having the intended effect.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
The rich including doctors, lawyers, politicians have already moved their families
out of the city to safer areas upstate or elsewhere in the country. It's the poor that are
trapped in the city ready to test positive for Caronavirus.
The rich are taking the virus upstate and out of state with them, sadly.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Aren’t these numbers an improvement? If the virus spread truly were exponential, wouldn’t the newly reported NY cases be multiples of this (even allowing for testing shortages).

Perhaps the shutdown is having the intended effect.
I think that question can only be answered if we know exactly how many are still being tested.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:51 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,971,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
That's bull. The US is not being asked to create masks for global demand. The US needs to create masks for its own citizens in addition to its medical community. Let the countries that have been very successful in keeping the spread of COVID-19 down as well as its death rates down within their borders, make masks for global demand. I'm talking Taiwan, South Korea, and Germany.

One of the biggest travesty is that masks production, in our country, wasn't ramped up in February nor early March to be proactively ready for this pandemic. To add salt to the wound, so called experts were all over news reports telling people not to bother with a mask because it's not going to help. That was horribly wrong advice as confirmed by the successful countries who got on top of this virus and limited its damage to the population. Those people in those countries wore MASKS when out in public. We must stop repeating flimsy excuses which only aids and abet our countries' failed policies in dealing with this virus. We need to copy SUCCESS. That means we need to do what those Asian countries (& Germany) did to be successful in dealing with COVID-19.
I totally agree that a mask is what is missing to account for the spread of this chinavirus at lightening speed in nYc.

Some sore ex-NYer accused the overcrowded living of immigrants as a cause of the outbreak...but failed to recognize that over 80% of people in nYc metro are exposed to even denser overcrowding when they commute to and from work daily... that is how communities in Westchester and LI have similar infection rates if not higher than nYc proper.

Washing hands helps, but when you are surrounded by all unidentifiable strangers with only a finger space on the train/bus, you create a playground for the China virus happily hopping from one victim to the other without the need of any other mediators.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:05 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I totally agree that a mask is what is missing to account for the spread of this chinavirus at lightening speed in nYc.

Some sore ex-NYer accused the overcrowded living of immigrants as a cause of the outbreak...but failed to recognize that over 80% of people in nYc metro are exposed to even denser overcrowding when they commute to and from work daily... that is how communities in Westchester and LI have similar infection rates if not higher than nYc proper.

Washing hands helps, but when you are surrounded by all unidentifiable strangers with only a finger space on the train/bus, you create a playground for the China virus happily hopping from one victim to the other without the need of any other mediators.
Yet Queens is still the epicenter of cases in NYC, Abe a number of articles have cited overcrowding and poverty in Central Queens as factors.

Of course riding in very crowded and nasty public transportation are also huge risk factors.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:09 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...M-qiDLni8TDwEM

First federal airlift to NY tri-state area includes millions of gloves, masks

The first federal airlift to the New York tri-state area touched down on Sunday with millions of gloves and masks and other medical supplies needed in the fight against coronavirus, according to multiple reports.

The flight from Shanghai landed at John F. Kennedy International airport with supplies mostly designated for New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, with some going to nursing homes and other high-risk areas.

The plane delivered 12 million gloves, 130,000 N95 masks, 1.7 million surgical masks, 50,000 gowns, 130,00 hand sanitizer units and 36,000 thermometers, according to the news reports.

Approximately 20 airlifts are reportedly planned through early April in what might become the largest government-led airlift of emergency medical supplies into the U.S.

The flights were organized by a team led by White House senior adviser Jared Kushner and Rear Adm. John Polowcyzk, who heads the coronavirus supply chain at the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

“At President Trump’s direction we formed an unprecedented public-private partnership to ensure that massive amounts of masks, gear and other PPE will be brought to the United States immediately to better equip our health care workers on the front lines and to better serve the American people,” Kushner said in a statement, obtained by Reuters.

Polowcyzk, meanwhile, told Axios Saturday that he’s booked 22 similar flights during the next two weeks. Normally, the supplies would arrive by ship, which would take 37 days.

"We have essentially a flight a day, mostly from Asia,” he said.

“I'm hoping this is only a two-, three-week effort, but it may be a month's worth ... but I don't know of another effort like this,” he added.

Polowcyzk also told Axios that lawmakers are pressuring him to nationalize the supply chain with the Defense Production Act, but he is avoiding that so he doesn’t have to recreate the existing supply chain involving six or seven big distributors.

The plane’s arrival was first reported by Reuters.

Governors and medical professionals are pleading for more medical supplies as the coronavirus sweeps the nation and hits the New York tri-state area particularly hard. New York, New Jersey and Connecticut have documented a total of more than 64,900 cases of coronavirus, with more than 1,000 deaths.
New York is a bad combination of incompetent and corrupt. You just know these supplies will end up in the wrong hands and or sitting in some warehouse unused. Months from now, we’ll be hearing in some investigative news story about how tons of urgent supplies are sitting at some warehouse or given to shady organizations while the people that desperately need them can’t get them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.