Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 05:50 AM

32,072 posts, read 27,318,997 times

Advertisements

In high resolution!

This is so fantastic. So much about Manhattan has changed since early 1900's but many of buildings and places are still here, especially south along Broadway from Madison Square park area.

All the various ferries from Staten Island, Brooklyn, and even New Jersey, the waterways were packed.

If your family came "off the boat" or otherwise were in NYC at this time, this the city they lived in, amazing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...esolution.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ1OgQL9_Cw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2020, 11:44 AM

19,109 posts, read 14,115,280 times
Wow that's a beautiful video.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-26-2020, 11:49 AM

6,703 posts, read 6,107,534 times
3:59 - the little girl in the front looks motion sick

Old 02-26-2020, 12:08 PM

19,106 posts, read 12,817,012 times
ghostly

whenever I see these old videos I always think about how 100% of those people are dead now

Old 02-26-2020, 01:02 PM

1,606 posts, read 946,978 times
I think of the way the men of that era were always dressed to the nines. Snazzy threads, cool hats. You see them at the boardwalk or even Yankee Stadium dressed the same way. Vest/jacket/hat/pocket square/shined shoes. WTF happened to us?

Old 02-26-2020, 01:19 PM

19,109 posts, read 14,115,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
I think of the way the men of that era were always dressed to the nines. Snazzy threads, cool hats. You see them at the boardwalk or even Yankee Stadium dressed the same way. Vest/jacket/hat/pocket square/shined shoes. WTF happened to us?
We said the same thing while watching it (I watched it at work with 2 other people).

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-26-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
ghostly

whenever I see these old videos I always think about how 100% of those people are dead now
Some people can ruin even a wet dream.

Old 02-26-2020, 03:24 PM

37,330 posts, read 39,749,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
Also makes me wonder how many outfits the usual Joe or Jane had and how often they washed it and their undergarments. Was maybe part of it one re-wore outfits quite often and so they invested in snazzy ones?

Old 02-26-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Also makes me wonder how many outfits the usual Joe or Jane had and how often they washed it and their undergarments. Was maybe part of it one re-wore outfits quite often and so they invested in snazzy ones?
If you were poor normally little more than the clothes on your back, with maybe an extra or whatever "Sunday best" you kept for church/religious services, weddings, funerals, etc...

Middle class may have had a bit more, and of course the wealthy often had closets full.

Keep in mind invention of sewing machine and along with rise of mass production (think Triangle Shirtwaist Factory) meant people no longer had to run up their own clothes. Though many still did because it was cheaper.

There was also a huge business in used clothing. Stuff people donated or whatever... If you worked in someone's house such as a maid or something, maybe one of the females would give away something they didn't want or no longer needed.

If you look at pictures of people arriving at Ellis Island or otherwise recently coming to NYC, you'll notice they carried very little in way of luggage. Maybe one case or whatever per person or even for two. That usually contained everything they owned in terms of clothing that wasn't on their backs.

People usually had more underwear than outer clothing because that could be laundered, mended, or even sewn far more easy than outer clothing. Many of the wools, silks, and other natural fabrics used for suits, coats, skirts, trousers, etc.. couldn't be washed in water, and dry cleaning (such as it was) still was a new process and expensive. So people just brushed dirt off, and kept wearing things.

If you look closely at film you'll notice many of clothes worn by lower class or even working people seems rather shoddy. Kids aside from those of better off families running around in rags.

Old 02-26-2020, 03:57 PM
PVW

287 posts, read 167,251 times
I was struck by the hats in particular. The women's ornate ones and the men's simple ones, the straw boaters men wore in the warmer weather. Or the hats worn by the policeman or the African American driver.

As for locations, Grace Church on Broadway near 11th street stuck out as well as the scenes from the Manhattan Bridge with the trains going over the tracks.

People getting off the ferry, walking along, hanging out in the park. Typical New York scenes, 1911 or 2020.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City