Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:51 PM

55 posts, read 195,698 times

Advertisements

moving to brooklyn in the fall, but i've never been. i plan on visiting for a week or two to look at apartments etc. but am kind of at a loss as to where to begin my search. i've heard neighborhoods with prohibitive prices like Williamsburg and 50/50 good and bad about neighborhoods like Bed-Stuy etc.

any advice as to how to focus my search would help. i'm solo and can hopefully afford up to $1500 a month for a one bedroom or decent studio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 08:22 PM

877 posts, read 2,770,123 times
It would help if you can describe what you are looking for in a neighborhood. How far a commute from the city? What kind of amenities you are looking for etc? There are plus and minuses to a lot of areas in Brooklyn and everyone has their own preference. Me, I would live in Bed-Stuy before Williamsburg but that is just my preference because I know more about Bed-Stuy. You, on the other hand, might prefer Bay Ridge, Park Slope or Greenpoint may be your preferred spot. Let us know and I'm sure that people will help out. Also, look at the Need info on moving to New York thread (https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...oving-nyc.html), a lot of information from different people who live all over the city. Best of luck on your search and move.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:55 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,156,935 times
For that price I would try
Greenpoint
Fort Greene
Windsor Terrace
Park Slope South
Clinton Hill

then
Bay Ridge
Kensington
Ditmas Park

The above areas have very different feel/amenity/commutes so you will have to know what you want. For instance, Bay Ridge is much much quieter, near the water, longer commute to Manhattan with better price value compared to Greenpoint which has lots of hipsters, more activity, less outdoorsy feel, more congested, faster commute to Manhattan.

You will not be able to afford many of the trendier or more expensive areas like Williamsburg, Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, Boerum Hill, Carroll Gardens.

Also, have you considered Queens? Not sure if you have to be in Brooklyn but you will get more for your money in Queens and if you are commuting to midtown, the areas of Queens where you can find an apt for $1500 are much closer to Manhattan than areas of Brooklyn where you can find an apt for $1500.

However, if you already know that you will be commuting to lower Manhattan or Union Sq. you are probably better off in Brooklyn. Or of course if you just want to be in Brooklyn for brooklyn's sake.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:12 PM

i'm planning on working in Brooklyn so i don't anticipate a huge commute, honestly the feel of the neighborhood is gonna be more important to my decision.
i have a day job but i'm a filmmaker and thats my thing, so i plan to live within my means but in a hopefully decent spot, and work simply to finance projects. coffee shops, art, and music is what i'd prefer over strips and suburbia.
i also see rock shows constantly so proximity to some of the places i've read about in Brooklyn is always a plus.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:26 PM

Then try Greenpoint, Fort Greene, Clinton Hill or Park Slope South. Greenpoint will put you within close enough proximity to all the music and nightlife of Williamsburg so that gets my number one vote for what you describe.

Others may suggest Prospect Heights but I feel that area is a little sketchy still. But if you have time you could check it out.

I'm afraid you would be bored in Kensington or Ditmas Park. Bay Ridge may still be a possibility but it is kind of quiet there.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:09 PM

877 posts, read 2,770,123 times
I agree with the areas that Henna stated. Don't know much about Greenpoint except that it is near Williamsburg and it is supposed to be cool area. Being near Williamsburg seems like a good idea for the things that you described, as you are also close to the Lower East Side of Manhattan that is also similar to what you are looking for. The next area that I would place second is probably, Park Slope South as that area appears to also have the kind of atmosphere that you want. Do you know where you will be working at in Brooklyn as that would be a factor you might want to consider.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:32 PM

not yet, setting up interviews at a bunch of locations that i'm unfamiliar with basically. what you've told me about Greenpoint sounds close to what i'm looking for, just an area with some culture and things happening.
where's the best art house movie theaters in brooklyn?

Old 04-09-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden67 View Post
not yet, setting up interviews at a bunch of locations that i'm unfamiliar with basically. what you've told me about Greenpoint sounds close to what i'm looking for, just an area with some culture and things happening.
where's the best art house movie theaters in brooklyn?
I think BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music) is really good. That's in Fort Greene.

There are also smaller screenings all over Williamsburg at places you wouldn't think of as theatres. There are at least two bars I can think of around N.6th or so between Berry and Wythe that have screenings. One place (can't remember the name) has a large square room in the back behind the front room where the bar is - lined with couches & tables and the movie screens on all four walls simultaneously.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:37 PM

thanks for all the help so far. really any advice is appreciated.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:29 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,125,958 times
That might be Galapagos. If not, check Galapagos anyway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City