Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 09:22 PM

37 posts, read 255,117 times

Advertisements

We are only visiting Manhattan for 3 days and two nights, but we want to get the most of our trip! We dont want to get a hotel in a "bad" neighborhood, but we are on a budget. can anyone help us with some ideas? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 11:27 PM

922 posts, read 3,863,523 times
At almost any hotel in Manhattan, you very likely won't end up in a "bad neighborhood". Just use the oft-cited "stay below 96th Street" rule and you will be fine.

However, there is a likelihood that you could end up in a "bad hotel". Small, outdated rooms, threadbare linens, old plumbing, etc. are some of the features of many of the "budget priced" places in NYC. Some names include the Hotel Pennsylvania, The Roosevelt, The Edison and the Milford Plaza. Mind you, we're not talking about disgusting fleabags here, but like many NYC apartments, these hotel rooms are smaller, older and a little more "lived in" than your typical modern hotel room.

Before I moved here, I used to stay at a reasonably priced Comfort Inn on 25th Street. It's small and nothing fancy, but I found it to be clean with a friendly and helpful staff. It just became a Comfort Inn a couple of years ago, so it was just renovated and everything is still pretty new. This hotel is on 25th St. between Broadway and 6th Avenue, so it straddles the Flatiron district and Chelsea, both areas where New Yorkers actually live, shop and eat. You are away from the maddening crowds of Times Square and Midtown. The hotel lacks amenities like an on-site restaurant, but you'll find a ton of eating and drinking establishments of every kind right in the neighborhood, and there is easy access to the subway half a block away on Broadway.

I've found, in general, that you can get the best hotel rates by calling the hotel directly, not booking online or via the 800 number. Look up the rates online and don't be afraid to haggle. Unless they expect to be full that night, you can almost usually get at least 10% off the published rate.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:12 PM

37 posts, read 255,117 times
Thank you very much. You have helped us out alot....Good to know about the 96th rule, we were looking at one above 95th. Do you know of anything off hand that might be by Times Square and the maddening crowds? Do you have any recommendations on the hostels? Thanks again:-)

Old 04-03-2008, 08:31 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,155,114 times
I'm a big fan of Reviews of vacations, hotels, resorts, vacation and travel packages - TripAdvisor for checking what other travelers are saying. I posted recently about how a friend of mine booked a "cheap" hotel - in Brooklyn, not Manhattan, at 170 a night. You could probably find the other thread but she called me wondering why there were 5 cops stationed outside and bulletproof glass inside.

She didn't read the tripadvisor reviews!! Or she might have had an inkling.

In your case, however, you most likely don't need to worry about bad neighborhoods because all of Manhattan (almost) is a playground these days.

What do you mean you were looking at one "above 95th"? What street and what side of town? The east side gets worse at lower numbers than the west side does.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:16 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,499,369 times
I always stay at Marriott Marquis. And trust me this hotel is in times square. Actually as soon you walk out the lobby you are in times square.
Check it out...
1535 Broadway, New York, New York 10036 - Google Maps

Old 04-04-2008, 05:26 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,715,359 times
My brother stayed at the Belvedere Hotel(319 W 48th street) in 2003 and the hotel was beautiful and I think he got some kind of discount where they paid only $99 per night

You may want to try the Hilton Garden Hotel on 790 8th Avenue. The area has improved a lot and i think it's relatively inexpensive and close to everything

Old 04-04-2008, 07:56 PM

8 posts, read 43,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeazy View Post
Thank you very much. You have helped us out alot....Good to know about the 96th rule, we were looking at one above 95th. Do you know of anything off hand that might be by Times Square and the maddening crowds? Do you have any recommendations on the hostels? Thanks again:-)
A few weeks ago we were in Manhattan and stayed at the Hostelling International Hostel on 113th and Columbus Ave. It was great. $40 a bed per night. I am in my 40s and was unsure about the whole deal, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. Very clean, very lively place.

Yes, it is above 96th, but it was fine!! Lots of students, restuarants, bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City