Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 05:23 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,026,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Btw I have a good reason to call Suffolk County people transplants mainly because I use to work there and have been there before and you get the feeling that NYC is in another part of this country when you’re there!

Everything just feels so different and far in Suffolk. Nassau however I feel like I’m in an extended area of Queens!
A person from Suffolk moving to the 5 boroughs is eligible for NYS and NYC free tuition at CUNY and SUNY and does not have to get a new ID. Legally everyone from NYS is a NEW YORKER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 08:33 PM

34,169 posts, read 47,422,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Just curious.
I'm going to say no. They're not transplants.

Brooklyn and Queens mess with LI a lot
Bronx and Manhattan mess with Westchester a lot

Without NYC there is no LI or Westchester, plain and simple
They're not from NYC but they're definitely New Yorkers

They will always tell you that they're originally from LI or Westchester (but now living here in____) anyway, nobody fakes on that

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-06-2018, 03:20 AM

251 posts, read 148,937 times
I say no.

I say anyone from the Greater NYC metropolitan area (Northern NJ, LI, CT, Westchester) is no more a "transplant" than someone from Evanston "transplanted" to neighboring Chicago; Bethesda to Washington, DC; Shaker Heights to Cleveland; Smyrna to Atlanta, etc., etc., etc. They're all LOCALS, albeit suburbanites.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:46 AM

40 posts, read 50,871 times
I don't consider that distance to be a transplant.

If someone is coming from Ohio or something similar then that's transplant material IMO.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:35 AM

81 posts, read 180,516 times
If you are from the NYC metro area (Long Island, Westchester, North Jersey) your kinda a transplant but kinda not

Old 06-06-2018, 05:04 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,413,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
A person from Suffolk moving to the 5 boroughs is eligible for NYS and NYC free tuition at CUNY and SUNY and does not have to get a new ID. Legally everyone from NYS is a NEW YORKER.
True but this thread is opinion based and speaks on consideration. Suffolk to me feels like a complete different state. If someone kidnapped me and I woke up in Islip. I would have thought I was in rural Georgia!

But also many people I meet from Suffolk in the city also act just as transient as someone from Colorado. Nassau folks not too much!

Old 06-06-2018, 06:24 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,514,095 times
Quote:
True but this thread is opinion based and speaks on consideration. Suffolk to me feels like a complete different state. If someone kidnapped me and I woke up in Islip. I would have thought I was in rural Georgia!

But also many people I meet from Suffolk in the city also act just as transient as someone from Colorado. Nassau folks not too much!
The cities in Georgia have neighborhoods that look like Islip lol

Old 06-06-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:

Dude, most of NY is rural. Most of PA is rural. Most of the Northeast is rural.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The cities in Georgia have neighborhoods that look like Islip lol
And the only people I have heard that were first generation Black or similar people of color who have never had any real travel experience in the Northeast. The Northeast is most rural and I am speaking of someone who has been all over NY, NJ, and PA.

NYC is a small geographic area in NYC.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:50 PM

14,082 posts, read 14,001,689 times
New NYC terms for transplants definition

Local transplants: Anyone who move within NYC metro area Long Island, Westchester, Northern New Jersey and Middlesex County, NJ, Western Connecticut, Lower Hudson Valley

Regional transplant: It is limited to the specific region of the country such as Northeast states like Boston to NYC, Philly to NYC, Maine to NYC

Transplant, Cross country, Flyover: A person who move from Chicago, Houston, Atlanta, Seattle to NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City