Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 11:29 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,566,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That is true. I can't tell the difference between North Jersey, Hudson Valley, NYC, and Long Island accents (adjusting for ethnic differences).
There isn't any difference people in the NYC trip state just don't wanna admit they have more similarities than differences. I'm a regional transplant from D.C. and you all have New York accents to me whether it's 5 boroughs, Jersey, Long Island, Westchester, or Connecticut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 11:58 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,496,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeadon718 View Post
There isn't any difference people in the NYC trip state just don't wanna admit they have more similarities than differences. I'm a regional transplant from D.C. and you all have New York accents to me whether it's 5 boroughs, Jersey, Long Island, Westchester, or Connecticut.
I met a girl from the DC suburbs and I thought she sounded pretty much the same as me, except for certain words like "coffee".

Within NYC, there is a lot of variation based on ethnic differences.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:11 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,566,061 times
Quote:
I met a girl from the DC suburbs and I thought she sounded pretty much the same as me, except for certain words like "coffee".

Within NYC, there is a lot of variation based on ethnic differences.
Yeah it's mostly the vowel shift. From North Jersey to Boston there's a shift in the way people use words you guys don't " O" front words.

And yeah there's a lot of variation.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:34 PM

16,117 posts, read 6,873,927 times
Depending on how on wishes to answer the question...

No.....
Just White and Rich ................ ( North of Grand Central )
Just Black and Rich.................( South of Grand Central )

L.O.L....................

C,mon .............you gotta be rich to want to pay those kind of taxes................
Glad you folks finally woke up. Welcome to the boros.....

Old 06-03-2018, 04:06 PM

11,646 posts, read 12,722,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Nassau buses serve the people of Nassau county. They are not city buses.
Some of them start in Nassau and make stops in Queens along the way. Like the LIRR, people in Queens do use them. They also accept Metrocard like city buses and subways.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:27 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,996,001 times
Quote:
Queens East of Jamaica is similar in that you either take the LIRR, or a bus to Jamaica to get to Manhattan

Staten Island might actually be more difficult overall than Nassau County in regards to getting to Manhattan.
People from parts of Nassau take buses to Jamaica to catch the E a d F to work, or take buses to catch the 7 train at Main Street. Or you can take the bus in the Bronx to the 2, 5, or 4 trains.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:37 PM

People in NYC suburbs are not transplants. Lots of people from LI work in the city to the extent suburban communities are dependent on the city itself. Long Islanders, as many of them work at are obviously spending some money in the city if they work here, are a big part of the city’s economy. To call them transplants is plain stupid.
Not are people from Jersey and CT transplants when again many of the work and participate in the city’s economy.

I’m also sure many if not most New Yorkers have friends and family in the suburbs.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 06-03-2018 at 05:16 PM..

Old 06-03-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
This block to me almost looks like it could be in Southeast Queens

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6778...7i13312!8i6656
Eastern Queens and Western Nassau are similar. The houses and the yards don’t get huge until you go out to Jericho!

Old 06-03-2018, 05:20 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,496,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
People from parts of Nassau take buses to Jamaica to catch the E a d F to work, or take buses to catch the 7 train at Main Street. Or you can take the bus in the Bronx to the 2, 5, or 4 trains.
Quote:
People in NYC suburbs are not transplants. Lots of people from LIbeork in the city to the extent suburban communities are dependent on the city itself. Long Islanders, as many of them work at are obviously spending some money in the city if they work here, are a big part of the city’s economy. To call them transplants is plain stupid.
Not are people from Jersey and CT transplants when again many of the work and participate in the city’s economy.

I’m also sure many if not most New Yorkers have friends and family in the suburbs.
Right, I live in Baldwin and work in Springfield Gardens. And as you know I spend a lot of money in NYC eating and drinking on my free time as well.

I take the N4 to the Q3

Quote:
Eastern Queens and Western Nassau are similar. The houses and the yards don’t get huge until you go out to Jericho!
Baldwin and especially Freeport and Roosevelt might actually be considered urban for US standards. Some posters think that anything less than Manhattan is suburban, but I disagree with that.

A lot of Western Nassau was developed pre-Levittown, so it doesn't have that super suburban planned community vibe.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:48 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,602,744 times
Quote:
Right, I live in Baldwin and work in Springfield Gardens. And as you know I spend a lot of money in NYC eating and drinking on my free time as well.

I take the N4 to the Q3

Baldwin and especially Freeport and Roosevelt might actually be considered urban for US standards. Some posters think that anything less than Manhattan is suburban, but I disagree with that.

I mean honestly, isn't Baldwin all single-family homes?
Are there even ANY apartment buildings in Baldwin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City