Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 07:55 AM

106 posts, read 392,918 times

Advertisements

There's an older building on the corner of Jerome & Woodycrest, right off 161st Street, near Yankee Stadium. The eastern end of the building is rounded, and part of the south wall looks like a bay window type thing. (Sorry, it's difficult to describe.)

I've just seen it from the bus, so don't have any way of checking it out for myself, and am curious about its use.

Does anyone know what this building is? Apartments? Something else?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 09:51 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
Possibly the new hotel (I don't know the address of it however) or just an art deco apartment house

Old 05-03-2008, 02:24 PM

6 posts, read 17,357 times
That Building was an Orphanage, erected in 1902, situated at 936 Woodycrest Ave. In 1972/1973, the children were removed to another location, and a Muslim Organization had purchased the property. I do not know what happened after they had it, but then it was turned into a Shelter/Hospice for people with AIDS. Over the years, the building had been left almost to ruin, however monies appropriated, allowed for restoration of certain items of the Original building, and the interior was transformed into residential Apts for families with children (also AIDS related). It is not a Hotel. I lived in that building from 1966 until we left for upstate NY because the area was very dangerous. I hope that I have answered your question satisfactorly.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:27 PM

6 posts, read 17,357 times
PS to the above: There is also a separate building on the property, that faces Anderson Avenue, a yellowish brick building, about 5 Stories high, very plain and oblong in nature. This design was on purpose, as the Gymnasium and Swimming Pool were located in that Building, as well as Arts and Crafts, and a Dormitory on the top floor for the eldest group. The name of this building was given "Roberts Hall".

Old 05-05-2008, 06:16 AM

106 posts, read 392,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNPR View Post
That Building was an Orphanage, erected in 1902, situated at 936 Woodycrest Ave. In 1972/1973, the children were removed to another location, and a Muslim Organization had purchased the property. I do not know what happened after they had it, but then it was turned into a Shelter/Hospice for people with AIDS. Over the years, the building had been left almost to ruin, however monies appropriated, allowed for restoration of certain items of the Original building, and the interior was transformed into residential Apts for families with children (also AIDS related). It is not a Hotel. I lived in that building from 1966 until we left for upstate NY because the area was very dangerous. I hope that I have answered your question satisfactorly.
Very cool! Thanks for responding!

Old 01-24-2009, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,884 times
Default Orphanage on Woodycrest

If memory serves me, I recall that orphanage on Woodycrest. It was back in the late 50's, early 60's, almost directly across from the Norman Towers. It was a dreary place at the time, even scary for neighborhood kids. The area around Woodycrest was mostly Irish with a rare Italian or Jewish family here and there. During the early 60's, the first black family moved into the neighborhood on Anderson Avenue which caused as much of a ruckus as when hispanics started coming in a decade later. I heard the Norman Towers burned down in the late 60's. What a shame, it was a spectacular old deco building.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:00 PM

34 posts, read 160,790 times
I attended PS 73 (junior high) and Taft HS nearby in the early 1970s and many of my classmates and some of my friends lived there in the orphanage. I recall their shock and dismay when the operation was terminated. [It really wasn't. the operators simply moved the operation to upstate NY, but pretended they were closing. That way they could dump all the kids into other NYC orphanages and foster homes, and begin upstate with a clean slate.] For the younger kids, life was basically okay. I lived on that street and walked by the building almost every day for years (had several classmates who lived in Norman Towers too). For the teens it wasn't as nice. You could 'allegedly' stay there till your 18th birthday if you were very, very, good. My memory is everyone else was shoved out the door at 16, regardless of the emotional state, or lack of job prospects. Tail end of what I called the heroin years, the streets outside (in a neighborhood turning very scary) were a little rough for a homeless 16 year old. Two of my classmates (1 M, 1 F) had that happen to them and I lost contact with them both inside a few weeks as the darkside of the city grabbed them. In the early 1970s the Bronx County Historical Society's President succeeded in arranging a tour of the place before it closed. I went on that tour. The inside was as cool (gothic) as the outsides. Like a tour of 'stately Wayne Manor.' Tall ceilings, wooden doors with etched glass paneling. Court yards, Tiffany furniture, etc. Everything was brass, glass, or mahogany. The place sat vacant for about a year, then Nation of Islam took it over. They were quiet and basically a good thing for the neighborhood. I don't know too much what happened there after that. I left NYC in the late 70s. I returned to visit family in the mid 80s (the cocaine years) and the place was all boarded up and Norman Towers (along with many of other the apartment houses I had known) were burnt out, or vacant lots. In 1990 the NY Times did an article on the place. Here is the link.
STREETSCAPES: Woodycrest Children's Home; A New Life - and Mission - for a Bronx Residence - The New York Times

Last edited by Commodore64; 10-23-2009 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-03-2010, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,886 times
I went to P.S.73,in 1963 I was in the 7th. grade and had classmates from the orphanage. I remember a redhead named Pamela and a blond named Connie. We would play together and I visited the Home a couple of times. It was nice inside, I remember a pool and beds all in a row. My friends always got money for clothes and shoes and went on trips. I used to wish I was an orphan so I could live there too!

Old 01-12-2011, 09:48 PM

3 posts, read 15,052 times
Hi Norma, I was at the home during that time. I remember Pamela. I have an old photo of Pamela. I remember Connie as well. Woodycrest had a reunion in 2009 at a restaurant in Manhattan. Lots were there, but many have passed on.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:51 PM

3 posts, read 15,052 times
Hi David, you missed the reunion in 2009. I and my oldest sister flew in for the reunion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City