Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2010, 06:50 PM

3 posts, read 22,397 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I have a really serious dilemma. I'm looking to buy a co-op / condo in the Bronx, NYC. I was just joking around with my friends and one of them brough this up. What would happen if the building burns down? My heart literally skipped a beat for a minute. So what would happen???

Let's assume there is a fire, the building is burnt beyond repairs (it has to be teared down). I paid $150,000 for this co-op; CASH. What would happen to my money??? And if I have a loan, what would happen then? I really need some advise.

Someone, anyone, please help ASAP.

Thanks so much!!
David G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 07:42 PM

490 posts, read 1,787,766 times
One word: INSURANCE.

The co-op board carries an insurance for the building. The cost is included in the maintenance charges. It is strongly advised you carry your own insurance to protect your personal property as well. It costs about 300-400 extra a year but it is worth it if you get robbed or start a fire while cooking that only affects your unit. The co-op insurance only covers the physical building (walls, plumbing, possibly kitchens and baths depending on the reason of the fire), not your personal stuff.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-18-2010, 05:51 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,936,998 times
the Co-op has insurance and you also need your own for the unit...........BUT, if the fire is supicious dont think the insurance company is going to be so kind and quick with helping you.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:40 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
It's no different than if you have a house anywhere.You get insurance.Whether or not you get adequate coverage is completely up to you.If you deal with a bank at all they will definitely make sure that they are protected at least in the amount of your loan. After that( your equity) it's up to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City