Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 08:54 AM

1,264 posts, read 2,441,232 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move into NY for a new job by the South Street Seaport.
My ideal preference:

A. If living by myself
-No more than a 45 minute commute.
-Nice place (A/C, dishwasher, not run down)
-Nice area, for a single young professional early 30s
-Would love 1500 to 1750, but might be able squeeze in 2000

B. If living with a roomate
-All of the above but Manhattan, 2 bathrooms, TOTAL rent would love 2500-3K but might squeeze upper 3K.

Questions:
1) Doable?
2) Where?
3) What sites to search, apartments.com and street easy look iffy.

I'd have a salary near 68K, would want to have enough money so I can enjoy my time there (go to ballgames) and not be 'apartment' poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 09:17 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,619,869 times
Well, legally you won't be able to pay more than $1700/mo so you'll need to (or at least should, there are exceptions but that's a good chunk of your salary) limit your apartment (if living alone) or your share (living with peeps) to that.

As far as where to live, you're going to struggle to find a place with all those amenities (yes, dishwasher and built in A/C is an amenity here). I'm thinking Woodside makes the most sense. Obviously if you can find something in Astoria, Midtown East, Hell's Kitchen, Village, Lower East Side, Upper West Side, Upper East Side, Brooklyn (like Carrol Gardens, Park Slope, etc.) then take it. Also may need a deeper evaluation as to what you deem as nice as Park Slope is nice, but the nightlife is mediocre to the Lower East Side/Bushwick which others would say is nice (I personally think their ugly! But I love my nightlife more than a pretty neighborhood).

For a split, you shouldn't have issues. Probably find what you want in most of Manhattan.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:56 PM

782 posts, read 528,015 times
Landlords in desirable neighborhoods usually require tenants make at least 40x rent. So with a $68k income, your max rent is $1700/month.

If living solo, Manhattan will be difficult with your budget. There aren't many apartments for less than $1700 and any that you do find will likely be very small and older with no amenities. Look into Brooklyn which is an easy commute to lower Manhattan. Most of the neighborhoods close to Manhattan have a good number of young professionals. I like Brooklyn Heights, Boerum Hill, Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens, Park Slope. Other areas that have gotten trendy include Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, parts of Bed Stuy, parts of Crown Heights. Check Streeteasy to get an idea of rents. I suspect a few of these neighborhoods will be too expensive. You should also forget about the A/C and dishwasher on your budget.

For roommate situations, are you basically looking for a place where you will have a private bathroom? I think 2bed/2bath apartments in Manhattan are going to be out of your budget. I knew a couple of people paying $2-2.5k for their share (the total apartment rent was $4-5k in doorman buildings with full amenities) and this was over 5 years ago. Rents are likely even higher now. Perhaps you can find a 3bed/2bath when you take the master bedroom with private bathroom. I think the better bet again is to look at Brooklyn. Or just compromise on the bathroom part. If you live with people with different work schedules, then sharing a bathroom is not that big a deal. You kind of get used to it.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:28 PM

142 posts, read 224,467 times
Well he's in budget for inwood and washington heights (living alone). I just rented a place in chelsea alone for 2 grand so I'm sure 1700 is in budget up there if one looks around.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalforever View Post
Well he's in budget for inwood and washington heights (living alone). I just rented a place in chelsea alone for 2 grand so I'm sure 1700 is in budget up there if one looks around.
I wasn't thinking Manhattan that far north. Inwood/washington heights is a long commute to south street seaport.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:22 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,777,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
I wasn't thinking Manhattan that far north. Inwood/washington heights is a long commute to south street seaport.
NO it isnt, from 168st station to 14st on the A train is only 20mins (i do this trip many times a month) so add another 10/12 mins to the fulton st station.

Currently i have studios-1br in the 168st area from $1550-$1795 budget.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
NO it isnt, from 168st station to 14st on the A train is only 20mins (i do this trip many times a month) so add another 10/12 mins to the fulton st station.

Currently i have studios-1br in the 168st area from $1550-$1795 budget.
That seems long to me. 30-32 minutes on the train + walking + waiting on the platform pretty much makes it a 45 minute commute which is the OP's limit. And that's to the southern part of Washington Heights. I guess it might work for the OP but I think it makes more sense to look at Brooklyn.

To the OP, google maps is fairly accurate when it comes to estimating travel times. Just make sure to click on the mass transit icon and adjust the departure time to your typical commute.

Last edited by MC305; 09-14-2017 at 05:24 AM..

Old 09-14-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalforever View Post
What is the sq footage?
A/C?
Dishwasher?
Elevator?

Old 09-14-2017, 06:25 AM

142 posts, read 224,467 times
Go to craigslist and type inwood or washington heights into the box for apartments. The apartments vary widely, but in those neighborhoods, on the side of "large" for the cash. As for the place I rented in chelsea for 2k, its 400sq foot (ground floor). There's AC, pets, etc. No dishwasher or elevator..., but I'm 5 feet from the outside so that doesnt matter so much.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:49 AM

What are the best sources to look for aparatments?
I've looked at apartments.com so far.
Unless I am doing it wrong, it seems to get a 1 bed with a dishwasher and A/C in Manhattan or Brooklyn is very hard.

I might have a roomate, in which case the budget is 3500 MAYBE 4000, seems even then I still can't get Manhattan with a 2 bed/2 bath....is that right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City