Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 07:18 PM

124 posts, read 440,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondiegirl41 View Post
I'm going to Bay Ridge later this year staying in the 59th Street area. Can anyone tell me where I can find Italian restaurants or a steak house & the distance from 59th Street. I heard 3rd Avenue is a good place but not sure how far away this is to walk?
Any ideas?

59th between which avenues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 08:19 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,495,064 times
Bay Ridge is a great area...
I lived in BR for 2 years and is great...
Try to get a place near the 95th Street Bay Ridge station, you will always have a seat in the subway since the train will be waiting for you (Is a dead end for the train). Is about 30 min to Manhattan. The only bad thing about BR is after 12 midnight, the R train comes every 15 to 20 min, so you will be waiting for the R train in the 59th station.

Blondiegirl 59th street is not part of Bay Ridge. Bay Ridge start at Bay Ridge Ave. ( 69/73rd Street)

Old 04-13-2008, 04:43 AM

7 posts, read 20,823 times
Default RE: Bay Ridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynGal2476 View Post
59th between which avenues?
I know that the subway we used was a literally 3 mins walk on 8th Ave.
The area was very chinese and we walked the whole length of the street
and every shop was of Chinese origin, or at least it seemed this way.
Just wondered how far 3rd Ave would be as I've read that a lot of
eating houses are situated on 3rd. I'm from the UK so this is all new to me.

Thanks.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:45 AM

Default Bay Ridge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
Bay Ridge is a great area...
I lived in BR for 2 years and is great...
Try to get a place near the 95th Street Bay Ridge station, you will always have a seat in the subway since the train will be waiting for you (Is a dead end for the train). Is about 30 min to Manhattan. The only bad thing about BR is after 12 midnight, the R train comes every 15 to 20 min, so you will be waiting for the R train in the 59th station.

Blondiegirl 59th street is not part of Bay Ridge. Bay Ridge start at Bay Ridge Ave. ( 69/73rd Street)
Thanks for the clarification. I know we were near to 8th Ave subway as we used this a lot to get into Manhattan. So, how far is 8th to 3rd Ave where the eating places are? I need to get a map of the area, any ideas on where to to obtain one? Thanks.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:42 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
I believe you're referring to Sunset Park, which is a different neighborhood from Bay Ridge.

Bay Ridge is generally considered to be the neighborhood ringed by the Belt Parkway and the BQE (Brooklyn Queens Expressway).

Once you get into Bay Ridge I think you won't have a problem finding an Italian restaurant, as there are lots of them down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondiegirl41 View Post
I know that the subway we used was a literally 3 mins walk on 8th Ave.
The area was very chinese and we walked the whole length of the street
and every shop was of Chinese origin, or at least it seemed this way.
Just wondered how far 3rd Ave would be as I've read that a lot of
eating houses are situated on 3rd. I'm from the UK so this is all new to me.

Thanks.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:46 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,495,064 times
Yes Mead, she is in Sunset Park, in the china part.. a little more north to Maimonides and she is in the Jewish part, and to the west is latino part.
Blondie:
Yes Bay Ridge is full of Italian rest in 3th and 4th ave.
But you are pretty far for walking. You can actually take the subway if you want.
Just take the N train to 59th station, that is your first stop is you take the 8th ave station, then jump on the R train.

Do you already have the place? or you are just looking for one??

Old 04-13-2008, 11:04 AM

113 posts, read 383,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProvGuy View Post
A really good friend of mine that I visit often lives in Bay Ridge and loves it. I loved it as well when I visited. My friend works in midtown and takes the R then switches to N express every morning somewhere along the line. It takes her about 45 mintues to reach midtown. She rents a 1 bedroom place 2 blocks from the subway and 1 block from the street with all the stores on it (84th?) for 1200/month, heat and hot water included.

I'd say its definitely a family-friendly neighborhood. I couldn't get over how quiet it was at night. And you have absolutely everything you could ever possibly need right within a few blocks, including a bunch of stores you'd find in malls and lots of food places.
While not a Brooklynite I used to have business out there in the early 90's and still visit from time to time. Were I raising a young family I'd give it a go.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:41 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Yeah Bay Ridge seems pretty self-contained/self-sufficient. Definitely one of the better neighborhoods to live in the city, especially with a family, in my opinion.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:19 PM

Default Bay Ridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
Yes Mead, she is in Sunset Park, in the china part.. a little more north to Maimonides and she is in the Jewish part, and to the west is latino part.
Blondie:
Yes Bay Ridge is full of Italian rest in 3th and 4th ave.
But you are pretty far for walking. You can actually take the subway if you want.
Just take the N train to 59th station, that is your first stop is you take the 8th ave station, then jump on the R train.

Do you already have the place? or you are just looking for one??
Thanks for your response. We are staying in an apartment (stayed same place last year) it's fine, but when we arrived quite late in the evening we wondered where we had landed in the world! Prior to this trip we'd stayed in a more upmarket hotel in times square so you can imagine the contrast. But by morning when we got out we felt safe, losts of people moving around but not in the slightest bit interested in us! LOL.
So, I need the N train to 59th and then how long will it take for the R train to
get me to the restaurants? Also, do you know of anywhere in Sunset Park that would be worth trying for food?

Thanks.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:32 PM

Default Taxi

Also wanted to ask....how does a person go about getting a cab/taxi in this area, I didn't see any in the local area. Any ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: