Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2008, 11:33 PM

402 posts, read 1,016,081 times

Advertisements

What do think about the Port Authority raising rates to tolls to help build the new World Trade Center?

Why can't we see their financials?

Do you think they are ran more like a private company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 12:19 AM

190 posts, read 982,145 times
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey is essentially a private corporation that's contracted in the public trust to operate various parts of our infrastructure. They've always been a very secretive organization with as much power and political backing as the famed Robert Moses did during his reign here in New York.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:40 PM

85 posts, read 415,419 times
PA is a quasi-gov't organization. They are funded thru public money i.e. taxes, tolls, etc.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:46 PM

402 posts, read 1,016,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro Viejo View Post
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey is essentially a private corporation that's contracted in the public trust to operate various parts of our infrastructure. They've always been a very secretive organization with as much power and political backing as the famed Robert Moses did during his reign here in New York.
Yes, this is my frustration. They can raise prices to the public, yet we can't see how they are spending their money.

I heard the Port Authority Police salary is approx. 40% higher than the NYPD. Do they ever get audited? An if no, why are New Yorkers standing for this? I am new to the area so your input is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:08 PM

190 posts, read 982,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
Yes, this is my frustration. They can raise prices to the public, yet we can't see how they are spending their money.

I heard the Port Authority Police salary is approx. 40% higher than the NYPD. Do they ever get audited? An if no, why are New Yorkers standing for this? I am new to the area so your input is greatly appreciated.
Hmmm... I'm not sure that the PA directly receives tax revenue from the governments of New York and New Jersey. I think they operate as any private corporation would: garner revenue from whatever the heck it is they operate. So their revenue stream is the tollways, bridges, tunnels, the airports, the seaports, etc.

I believe the PA does hold hearings whenever they consider raising the tolls. In fact, I'm almost certain that they do. I don't know who does their accounting and to whom they report this information (Albany and Trenton?), but it's pretty much a given that tolls on the bridges and tunnels always go up every few years. When I lived on Staten Island the cost of crossing the VNB was $8. Now it's $10. I remember as a kid it was only $3 or $4. My dad remembers when it was $0.65 (when it first opened).

Old 03-05-2008, 10:21 PM

922 posts, read 3,860,716 times
The Port Authority, along with other New York Authorities like the MTA and Thruway Authority, is an entity called a "public benefit corporation".

Public benefit corporations are created by the the governnment State of New York to run various services like public transportation, highways, bridges and hospitals. They are quasi-governmental organizations that generally conduct their business under the same rules that government entities are supposed to adere to.

There are hundreds of Authorities in New York State, and like everything else connected to NYS government, authorities are generally rife with patronage, inefficiency and in some cases, corruption. It is generally understood that the NYS tends to hide its true debt and the true extent of its deficit spending by borrowing money through authorities, because authorities can float their own bonds.

Authorities, like publicly-traded corporations are required to make their financials available to the public. The PANYNJ's financials can be found here: The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey - Financial Information

However, as a citizen, there is not much you can do about things like toll hikes because authorities are technically are run as independent entities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City