Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2017, 05:42 AM

602 posts, read 1,263,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
What's wrong with Blue Apron? I've never used it, but my friends use it and I have had a few meals with them. The food was tasty. They have crazy work schedules and themselves to feed, plus two hungry growing teens. Prices start around $9.00. That seems pretty reasonable.
Nothing is wrong with Blue Apron. We've done it many times and it is good. It does take more prep time than I thought it would, FWIW. Also, it is not a good strategy for saving money. It is a good strategy for someone that has more money than time and likes to cook fancy(ish) meals. It will save you time at the supermarket and shortens the steps in putting together a fancy(ish) meal. But still, plan on some time investment, and plan on paying for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 12:07 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,054 times
Blue Apron is good to use once at least for the incentive they give you to sign up. I tried it the other week and they gave me $35 off, so it wound up being only $25 with shipping for 2 weeks of healthy dinners (I'm only one person lol). You just have to be sure to cancel the subscription immediately. I liked being able to choose the meals I wanted and how fresh everything was when it showed up. If I was the type of person who wasn't so cost-conscious I'd probably order it again. I'd imagine this would be perfect for busy people who are just learning how to cook or maybe people with kids.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 01-20-2017 at 12:18 PM..

Old 01-20-2017, 06:30 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
So that's $9/serving x 4 people x 3 meals per day x 30 days per month = $3240 per month AND you need to have somebody cook, serve, and wash dishes?
Wouldn't eating in restaurants make more sense and be a LOT easier for these people who work 25 hours a day?
That's a lot of money for somebody to deliver a box of groceries and a few recipes periodically.

Blue Apron wins the Marie Antoinette award this month (they send flour...you bake a cake.)

Old 01-20-2017, 06:32 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
According to some people, breadknot-lite establishments like Whole Foods 365 (a supermarket version akin to off the rack stores?!) are going to save us all from the high costs of foods!!! YAY! I spit venom at anyone who wants this city to remain affordable and still shops at that vile establishment when it opens up above Ashland in Ft. Greene.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynbound12 View Post
I'm not one for frugality, definitely not a couponer or anything and get most items from places like instacart and now fresh direct. It really is just about setting a basic goal and knowing how much food you want (and should) eat, and what you like. It's easy to just wander the grocery aisle and $500 later end up with mismatched snacks and foods that don't make a cohesive, satisfying meal.

Fresh Direct can be pricey so it's about your choices. I like the occasional fancy item but for budgeting and health I usually do chicken, tilapia or less often beef for taste. I've never been to fairway but I think the difference is Fresh Direct has it's own warehouse so it's like buying direct from the supplier. They work with nearby farmers for local options or you can get conventional stuff. And of course they have super organic pricey stuff too. I get pantry staples cheaper since it's their own brand (organic creamer and store brand peanut butter are about .50 cheaper here).

As far as tips...depends on your diet and lifestyle. My boyfriend thrives off carbs so it's easy to fill him up with rice, the cheapest of all grocery items. Carbs hate me so I stick with low amounts of complex carbs (sweet potato, whole grains, carb veggies), chicken and then a few times weekly non-meat proteins (black beans, lentils). Easy meals are always one-sheet pan or one-pot dishes or crock pot meals. Dump veggies and meat with seasoning and light oil, set to roast and you're done. Stews are easy too after the initial sealing/crisping of the meat. I see what's on sale usually and build a menu around those foods. Forces me to cook different items. Honestly though, if you eat a traditional American diet of lots of meat and dairy I can't see how anyone could save.

Thanks. I really enjoy cooking now but I get where you're coming from. It seems daunting at first but you'll feel accomplished knowing you can fully feed yourself. My roommate works a lot but she cooks a big batch of stuff on Sunday. Overnight oatmeal or chia pudding in a mason jar is portable, quick and you can throw in fresh add-ins like bananas or cocoa bits. That's breakfast for the week with about 20 min. of time for around $10.
I bring my oatmeal and orange juice to work for breakfast. I am doing okay with that. I also eat leftovers for dinner. The problem is lunch. I also eat out occasionally on the weekend.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:02 AM

I did terrible this week. I spent $125.58. My goal was $75 but no more than $100. I am over budget because I ate out on the weekend and I splurged twice this week on lunch. I spent $18.51 each day. It was really good the first day. It was not so great on the next. I guess that is over. I also splurged on ice cream ($6). My job stresses me out. I turn to food when I am stressed.

The funny thing is that I don't feel like I I really spend that much. I bring my breakfast to work and I also eat at home for dinner. I did buy chinese food for dinner on Friday. It was not great. I put half of it in the fridge. I guess it will be my lunch for today. It makes me think how much I was spending before. Wow! There was a point I was eating out for every meal. I don't know. At least I am aware. I will not be spending any money on food this weekend. Hopefully, I will do better next week.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:30 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I did terrible this week. I spent $125.58. My goal was $75 but no more than $100. I am over budget because I ate out on the weekend and I splurged twice this week on lunch. I spent $18.51 each day. It was really good the first day. It was not so great on the next. I guess that is over. I also splurged on ice cream ($6). My job stresses me out. I turn to food when I am stressed.

The funny thing is that I don't feel like I I really spend that much. I bring my breakfast to work and I also eat at home for dinner. I did buy chinese food for dinner on Friday. It was not great. I put half of it in the fridge. I guess it will be my lunch for today. It makes me think how much I was spending before. Wow! There was a point I was eating out for every meal. I don't know. At least I am aware. I will not be spending any money on food this weekend. Hopefully, I will do better next week.

Have you ever thought that maybe you don't make enough to support the type of lifestyle that you want to live? Nothing negative toward you, I just think that sometimes people don't look at that aspect of it. Like there's people who love making their own lunches and bringing it to work. I do it not because I like it, but because of necessity....if I was making more money so that I wouldn't have to bring lunch to work sometimes, I probably wouldn't have even read this thread.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-21-2017, 10:43 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Have you ever thought that maybe you don't make enough to support the type of lifestyle that you want to live? Nothing negative toward you, I just think that sometimes people don't look at that aspect of it. Like there's people who love making their own lunches and bringing it to work. I do it not because I like it, but because of necessity....if I was making more money so that I wouldn't have to bring lunch to work sometimes, I probably wouldn't have even read this thread.
Excellent point. Either way, it sounds like the OP is making progress...which is great.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You make a valid point. I had no business spending $18 for lunch two days in a row and spending $6 on ice cream. I actually spent $9. I guess that is why I started this thread. There is certainly a difference between need and want. I need to get it together.

I am no longer satisfied with my grocery store. I am going walk down a little further. Hopefully the prices are lower and offer more options. It is too late for this week. I am going start bringing my lunch the following week. I eat either tuna or a meatball sub at Subway. I guess I could make that at home and bring it in for lunch. What fun. I don't want to spend more than $300 a month for food. I guess this is what I am going to have to do to make this happen.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Excellent point. Either way, it sounds like the OP is making progress...which is great.
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City