Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 02:13 PM

32,190 posts, read 27,428,094 times

Advertisements

Well at least market rate tenants are getting fed up with high rents for very little in return. So many are looking elsewhere according to this Bloomberg report. It does help that tons of new product has come online and there is more still in the wings. Manhattan Apartment Renters Push Back to Find Better Deals - Bloomberg

Personally have seen this as friends and others living on UES/Yorkville in bare bones or minimal amenity buildings are balking at paying >$2.5k or some such insane figure for a shoebox that is marketed as a one bedroom. For a little bit more you can get a one or even a two bedroom in new construction elsewhere (Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 02:59 PM

19,118 posts, read 12,838,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
For a little bit more you can get a one or even a two bedroom in new construction elsewhere (Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens).

That's the key right there, there's been a steady growth of acceptance of outerborough life by high end tenants and it's been really starting to accelerate. LIC is going to eat most of Manhattan's lunch for years to come with shiny new towers opening every month at a fraction of the rent and as close if not closer to prime Manhattan areas by subway

Old 07-07-2016, 03:11 PM

3,669 posts, read 2,777,034 times
Yea. From the reports I have read, it looks like most of lower Manhattan has reached its rental price peak. I don't expect rent per sq foot in those areas to increase more than inflation over the coming years.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Yea. From the reports I have read, it looks like most of lower Manhattan has reached its rental price peak. I don't expect rent per sq foot in those areas to increase more than inflation over the coming years.
Among other reasons, there's a glut of "luxury" building development and new disclosure regulation for foreign buyers trying to launder ill gotten gains. Also the Euro and Pound have been crushed by Brexit

Old 07-07-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post

It just boggles my mind that a hundred years or so after the subways were built to get persons out of lower Manhattan, the City is again turning it into residential. The area just cannot support large numbers of residential housing, there aren't the services and or amenities (garbage, schools, supermarkets, etc...) and it may take years to sort that out.

Ok, you've got a big Whole Foods over by the Westside Highway, but that is a good walk from anyone living east of City Hall.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Ok, you've got a big Whole Foods over by the Westside Highway, but that is a good walk from anyone living east of City Hall.
why wouldn't they just order their groceries online? those who don't are just taking cabs

Old 07-07-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
why wouldn't they just order their groceries online? those who don't are just taking cabs

Some people like to shop for their own groceries. Going by the lines at various Fairway, WF and Trader Joe's I'd say that number is not insignificant.

Besides if you only need a few things like milk, cereal, coffee, etc... ordering online is not going to work out well. If I need milk and coffee for tomorrow's breakfast Fresh Direct is of no use to me...

Old 07-07-2016, 04:42 PM

15,924 posts, read 14,622,876 times
In the end, I think there's just too much demand for this to have a big effect. More people just keep coming in and supporting the rents. What this is doing is pushing up the rents in the surrounding areas.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
In the end, I think there's just too much demand for this to have a big effect. More people just keep coming in and supporting the rents. What this is doing is pushing up the rents in the surrounding areas.

Maybe, maybe not.

Again there is lots of product coming on line for rental, most all of it aimed at market rate. Yes, you have 80/20 buildings but still make no mistake the majority of new rental housing is being built for those who can afford to pay without subsidies.

Have said it before all over Manhattan you see tenants moving out of market rate apartments left and right when rents and or other factors suit. My building in particular sees about 1/3 of market rent tenant turnover every one or two years as leases come up for renewal. People just are looking around and finding you can get more, much more for your money elsewhere.

Am sorry but a few free weights and a stationary bike in a converted former laundry room of a tenement basement does *NOT* a gym make nor justify paying (again) several thousand per month for a shoebox.

Will say it again, the only persons largely staying put are RS tenants. Those living in below market rent apartments have no incentive to move, and most couldn't afford any other place to go anyway.

Long story short no, it probably won't affect those having affordability issues, but for those who can pay and or negotiate for market rental housing, things likely will be different.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:09 PM

15,924 posts, read 14,622,876 times
Are those apartments sitting empty? Are their rents coming down? Is your LL having to offer incentives to get them rented?

Quote:
My building in particular sees about 1/3 of market rent tenant turnover every one or two years as leases come up for renewal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City