Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 07:42 PM

936 posts, read 3,194,685 times

Advertisements

what would NYC without Manhattan be like to you? the more detailed the better. take into account the remaining 4 boroughs, this should be interesting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 07:45 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,561,811 times
it can't be defined w/o manhattan. b/c its like the true downtown (but huge) and all the sorrounding boroughs feed off that energy/commerce, etc..

i've been told that it is similar to london town and everything that developed around it. making london and its surrounding suburbs one big city.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:13 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,251,528 times
New York's growth owes a lot to A) a great natural harbor, B) a deep, navigable river into the interior of New York state, and C) the Mohawk Valley (where I-90/NY State Thruway is located) cutting east-west through upstate NY to provide an easy connection to the Great Lakes and the rest of the U.S. back in the canal and early railroad days. Because of that, New York still would likely be the United States' most important city today even if Manhattan Island didn't exist.

More specific to the question, downtown Brooklyn would be much larger and a lot more like what lower or midtown Manhattan actually are, most likely a combination of both. Brooklyn and and to a lesser degree Queens would be generally better off and more built up than they are now, while the Bronx and Staten Island would be unchanged (actually, the portion of Staten Island near the Verrazano Narrows Bridge would probably be a little more built up). The Verrazano Narrows Bridge would likely have been built earlier than 1964.

Jersey City would be much bigger too. In fact, it's possible THE big city in the New York metro area would be Jersey City, not Brooklyn, and correspondingly have the lower/midtown Manhattan type of development.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:34 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,066,047 times
Wow......take away the heart of any city and see whats left. The difference is take out Manhattan from NYC and you got the other 4 boroughs. Do it to any other city and you got nothing left.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:48 PM

904 posts, read 2,876,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
New York's growth owes a lot to A) a great natural harbor, B) a deep, navigable river into the interior of New York state, and C) the Mohawk Valley (where I-90/NY State Thruway is located) cutting east-west through upstate NY to provide an easy connection to the Great Lakes and the rest of the U.S. back in the canal and early railroad days. Because of that, New York still would likely be the United States' most important city today even if Manhattan Island didn't exist.

More specific to the question, downtown Brooklyn would be much larger and a lot more like what lower or midtown Manhattan actually are, most likely a combination of both. Brooklyn and and to a lesser degree Queens would be generally better off and more built up than they are now, while the Bronx and Staten Island would be unchanged (actually, the portion of Staten Island near the Verrazano Narrows Bridge would probably be a little more built up). The Verrazano Narrows Bridge would likely have been built earlier than 1964.

Jersey City would be much bigger too. In fact, it's possible THE big city in the New York metro area would be Jersey City, not Brooklyn, and correspondingly have the lower/midtown Manhattan type of development.
I pretty much agree with this. As a native of the outer boroughs, though I'd like to add more to the thought "what is New York outside Manhattan." And I'll tell you - it's the real city. Manhattan is fantastic, but it always struck me as a bit transient. The outer boroughs are more livable. Queens is the most diverse place on earth. Brooklyn is where alot of the things you associate with "New York"- the accent, ethnic eateries, old-school Italians and Jews - originally came from. The Bronx is the home of the Yankees and hip-hop. Staten Island (my home borough), while admittedly far less important, is home to many of the people that make the city work - cops, firemen, teachers.

Manhattan is the pulsing center of the city. But if you don't know the outer boroughs, you don't know New York.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:58 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,509,154 times
It would still be the largest city in America, but with a higher crime rate.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:14 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,251,528 times
Even though I'm not a native New Yorker, I have to agree that if you want to get a true sense of what NYC is about, you need to check out all 5 boroughs, particularly the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens, and not just Manhattan below 110th Street. When I take day trips to NYC, I try to make a point of it to check out some of the outer boroughs and/or parts of New Jersey near the PATH and/or Hudson-Bergen Light Rail lines. (I also go to Yankees and/or Mets games at least once per season, and I can see what going on in SW Bronx and in Queens along the 7 Line, in addition to seeing the kind of people getting on and off and riding the subways. The 7 Train truly is the international express.) Just an example, the last day trip I took to New York (12/28/07), I took the Staten Island Ferry for the first time, went to the Atlantic Avenue/Flatbush LIRR/subway station and walked around outside a bit (which I had done once previously), took two of the IND Division subway lines out to/back from Coney Island (I think it was the Q train going out and the F train coming back), and took a ride on the semi-infamous G crosstown line (which I didn't realize had only 4 car consists, but I digress into train geek talk). I wanted to see the views from Staten Island; the view there on a clear day (which I was fortunate enough to have the day I was there) are spectacular, as you can see lower Manhattan, downtown Brooklyn, downtown Jersey City, the Port of Bayonne, and even downtown Newark off in the distance to the west. I also wanted to see what Coney Island was like; what I saw was pretty depressing. It definitely wasn't the New York people who haven't been there think of when they envision the Big Apple, though its location means it is likely prime redevelopment territory. I've checked out other, off the beaten path places in the city in previous day trips, like Harlem on 125th Street and Jamaica Station in Queens. Those places are rough and gritty, but real too. I've also checked out some of the areas between midtown and lower Manhattan, which tend to be overshadowed by the two CBD's, but are doing pretty well right now and are nice, attractive but not flashy areas from what I saw. All of these things are what New York is about, not just the narrow sliver often focused on by the media.

Incidentally, one of these days I hope to be able to take a ride on the Staten Island Railway just to get a better flavor of New York's most suburban-like borough.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:18 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,261,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Wow......take away the heart of any city and see whats left. The difference is take out Manhattan from NYC and you got the other 4 boroughs. Do it to any other city and you got nothing left.
Take out Downtown Houston and you still got Uptown/TMC/Greenway Plaza/etc.lol.....jk.

If you took out Manhattan;NYC would still be the greatest city in america,than agian Chicago probably would.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:23 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,066,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
It would still be the largest city in America, but with a higher crime rate.
I disagree. It would be the same. Manhattan was home to 3 of the 4 highest crime neighborhoods in the city according to the 2007 crime map.

East Harlem, Lower East Side and Midtown south all had crime rates of 1600+ per 100,000. West Harlem and Central Harlem were a notch below but were still 1200-1400 range. Also dont bank on Washington Heights/Inwood to maintain that low crime rate. Neighborhoods with their history dont just become the Upper West Side overnight. So bank on them returning to there normal high crime self.

But you also lose the safe neighborhoods Midtown north, Upper East Side, Upper West Side, etc that is why it will even out in all probability.

I think if you were to remove Queens or Staten Island then you would have more crime.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:40 AM

3 posts, read 10,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I disagree. It would be the same. Manhattan was home to 3 of the 4 highest crime neighborhoods in the city according to the 2007 crime map.

East Harlem, Lower East Side and Midtown south all had crime rates of 1600+ per 100,000. West Harlem and Central Harlem were a notch below but were still 1200-1400 range. Also dont bank on Washington Heights/Inwood to maintain that low crime rate. Neighborhoods with their history dont just become the Upper West Side overnight. So bank on them returning to there normal high crime self.

But you also lose the safe neighborhoods Midtown north, Upper East Side, Upper West Side, etc that is why it will even out in all probability.

I think if you were to remove Queens or Staten Island then you would have more crime.

Um.... no.
Perhaps you have never been to brooklyn-- The center of brooklyn is home to the United States largest Jewish community, and some of the home values in the Jewish parts of Brooklyn are 1m+, and dont tell me that the Jews are a tiny portion of the overall population, the area they live in is nearly 1/4-1/3 of the borough, with several hundred thousand members of the commmunity, all of whom believe very strongly in comunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City