Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 10:52 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times

Advertisements

So, as everyone knows, my special interest on this forum is Parkchester, the Bronx. I bought a studio there in 2008 because it was very cheap - I figured I wanted something definite in NYC that I can always afford no matter what happens with my finances, and I deferred decision re any specific use of this condo to the future. I had been renting out the condo for 11 years, then got sick of tenants' obnoxious behavior, have been keeping it empty since the beginning of this year, just crashing there occasionally when I feel like going to NYC (I am partly retired).

I was staying in Parkchester last week, and went to see David Crosby playing for free at the Lincoln Center outdoors stage this past Sunday, which meant that I had to take the Bx6 express bus from E 59th St/Madison Av in Midtown Manhattan at 10:25 pm, arriving to Parkchester around 11 pm. That is the latest at night that I have ever walked through Parkchester, and was therefore concerned, but David Crosby playing free doesn't happen every day, so decided to risk safety. Well, the concern was entirely unnecessary - there were 6-7 other people on the bus who looked and behaved normally, and there were still people walking around in Parkchester, including two pairs of Bangladeshi young women not quite wearing burqas but something similar, very Islamic-style conservative (I saw them strolling leisurely in two separate places in Parkchester) - I guess that is as strong marker of safety as you can think of. This is different from only 5 years ago, when I still had serious questions about safety of the area.

HOWEVER - about a week earlier, I was walking from Parkchester subway station, along the southern/eastern border of Parkchester/Castle Hill (I think that large street is Westchester Av), past Parkchester Library towards the Chinese supermarket. It was Sunday around 5 to 6 PM, broad daylight... but the area was totally deserted except for a couple of cars double-parked along the street, with distinctly shady-looking men sitting at the wheel, doing nothing in particular, and giving me uncomfortably scrutinizing looks. I will surely not walk there again outside of regular business hours when there is a lot of car and foot traffic on that street. So, Parkchester itself seems very safe - but just outside of Parkchester, it seems to become very abruptly very unsafe. Specifically, per police blog which I follow, Castle Hill seems unsafe, and Soundview extremely unsafe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 10:57 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
So, as everyone knows, my special interest on this forum is Parkchester, the Bronx. I bought a studio there in 2008 because it was very cheap - I figured I wanted something definite in NYC that I can always afford no matter what happens with my finances, and I deferred decision re any specific use of this condo to the future. I had been renting out the condo for 11 years, then got sick of tenants' obnoxious behavior, have been keeping it empty since the beginning of this year, just crashing there occasionally when I feel like going to NYC (I am partly retired).

I was staying in Parkchester last week, and went to see David Crosby playing for free at the Lincoln Center outdoors stage this past Sunday, which meant that I had to take the Bx6 express bus from E 59th St/Madison Av in Midtown Manhattan at 10:25 pm, arriving to Parkchester around 11 pm. That is the latest at night that I have ever walked through Parkchester, and was therefore concerned, but David Crosby playing free doesn't happen every day, so decided to risk safety. Well, the concern was entirely unnecessary - there were 6-7 other people on the bus who looked and behaved normally, and there were still people walking around in Parkchester, including two pairs of Bangladeshi young women not quite wearing burqas but something similar, very Islamic-style conservative (I saw them strolling leisurely in two separate places in Parkchester) - I guess that is as strong marker of safety as you can think of. This is different from only 5 years ago, when I still had serious questions about safety of the area.

HOWEVER - about a week earlier, I was walking from Parkchester subway station, along the southern/eastern border of Parkchester/Castle Hill (I think that large street is Westchester Av), past Parkchester Library towards the Chinese supermarket. It was Sunday around 5 to 6 PM, broad daylight... but the area was totally deserted except for a couple of cars double-parked along the street, with distinctly shady-looking men sitting at the wheel, doing nothing in particular, and giving me uncomfortably scrutinizing looks. I will surely not walk there again outside of regular business hours when there is a lot of car and foot traffic on that street. So, Parkchester itself seems very safe - but just outside of Parkchester, it seems to become very abruptly very unsafe. Specifically, per police blog which I follow, Castle Hill seems unsafe, and Soundview extremely unsafe.
Oh boy... Listen, you moved to the Bronx. If you moved to Riverdale, I could understand your comments, but Parkchester isn't this safe haven. Even Riverdale has its issues with things like car theft, as many neighborhoods do around NYC. Parkchester has plenty of shady characters. Just stick with the express bus as you did the last time and you'll be fine.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Even though I don't really feel *unsafe* in Hunts Point; I really hate visiting there.

My uncle rents a bedroom there and that neighborhood is disgusting. I'm guaranteed to see at least one dirty needle on the ground on at least every other block. I was always extremely careful about where I walked to make sure that I didn't step on one. Most of the times that I go into a bodega; an addict begs me for change. The neighborhood feels extremely drab and I get very bad vibes there. I THANK GOD every day that I don't have to live in a place like that. I feel bad for anybody that has to; especially the kids who've had no choice in the matter.

Parents, for the love of god... please keep your legs closed until you can provide a half-decent area for your family! Like damn!!
Wasn't Hunts Point the area that HBO used to show with Cab Stories or whatever that show was with the prostitutes?

Old 08-13-2019, 11:10 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Oh boy... Listen, you moved to the Bronx. If you moved to Riverdale, I could understand your comments, but Parkchester isn't this safe haven. Even Riverdale has its issues with things like car theft, as many neighborhoods do around NYC. Parkchester has plenty of shady characters. Just stick with the express bus as you did the last time and you'll be fine.

Didn't move to the Bronx, most likely never will (still living in Boston), but did spend a total of 45 days this year in the Bronx (or rather, spent 45 days in Manhattan, while staying overnight in Parkchester, the Bronx). I personally would never consider Riverdale - for the price of Riverdale, I would just buy in Manhattan. But for people who can't (or, in my case, don't want - considering the relatively limited condo use) spend much money, Parkchester actually IS this safe haven in the Bronx. Provided that one stays strictly inside Parkchester, or strictly commutes between Parkchester and Manhattan. As soon as you are outside Parkchester limits, say on the border with Castle Hill, it is suddenly much less safe.

I don't know where those "plenty of shady characters" that you mention are in Parkchester - I have not seen any this year, and I have been specifically on the lookout for them every time I went to Parkchester. Between 2014 and this year, there is a very noticeable increase in office-worker types, and the population of Bangladeshi families with kids seems to have at least doubled. Shady characters, just hanging out and looking like possible thugs, have decreased from very few to none that I can recognize as such.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Didn't move to the Bronx, most likely never will (still living in Boston), but did spend a total of 45 days this year in the Bronx (or rather, spent 45 days in Manhattan, while staying overnight in Parkchester, the Bronx). I personally would never consider Riverdale - for the price of Riverdale, I would just buy in Manhattan. But for people who can't (or, in my case, don't want - considering the relatively limited condo use) spend much money, Parkchester actually IS this safe haven in the Bronx. Provided that one stays strictly inside Parkchester, or strictly commutes between Parkchester and Manhattan. As soon as you are outside Parkchester limits, say on the border with Castle Hill, it is suddenly much less safe.
The point wasn't what you would consider... Just saying... Parkchester is what it is, and plenty of Bronx neighborhoods are like that (either somewhat safe or very safe but have ghetto areas not too far away). I've spent plenty of time there... The food scene leaves a lot to the imagination, but it has the basics if you can't do much better... Supermarket options for sure... For someone commuting to and from Parkchester with the express bus or driving (if you can ever find parking) it is ok, although the buildings themselves are dated on the inside. Let's not pretend that there aren't sketchy characters though, and not just by the train station either. It definitely isn't in the top five most dangerous Bronx neighborhoods, but I wouldn't rank it in the top five safest Bronx neighborhoods either.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:35 AM

Five Safest Bronx Neighborhoods:

1. Riverdale
2. Country Club & parts of Throggs Neck (Edgewater)
3. City Island
4. Woodlawn
5. Morris Park/Indian Village

Five Most Dangerous Bronx Neighborhoods:

1. Tremont
2. Highbridge
3. Morrisania
4. Williamsbridge
5. West Farms/Van Nest

Old 08-13-2019, 11:42 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Five Safest Bronx Neighborhoods:

1. Riverdale
2. Country Club & parts of Throggs Neck (Edgewater)
3. City Island
4. Woodlawn
5. Morris Park/Indian Village

Five Most Dangerous Bronx Neighborhoods:

1. Tremont
2. Highbridge
3. Morrisania
4. Concourse Village
5. West Farms
I fixed # 4 but otherwise pretty accurate....those blocks immedately north of Bronx Criminal Court are among the highest crime in the borough. Major QOL issues as well. I wouldn't say Van Nest is "bad," however, it just looks run-down.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-13-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I fixed # 4 but otherwise pretty accurate....those blocks immedately north of Bronx Criminal Court are among the highest crime in the borough. Major QOL issues as well. I wouldn't say Van Nest is "bad," however, it just looks run-down.
I'm aware but that's precisely why I avoid it!! That said, the North Bronx... Williamsbridge, esp. White Plains Road... People think it's tame... Only because the City FLOODS the main areas with cops... Plenty of drug activity up there... It's not all nice-y nice-y... Wakefield is a little better in that regard.

Just below 165th, I've seen some things right by the Executive Towers, so the area just above that... Ugh...

Not all of Concourse Village is horrible. If you are in one of the few decent co-ops along the Concourse around 161st, it is totally fine, even at night.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:48 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
I'm aware but that's precisely why I avoid it!! That said, the North Bronx... Williamsbridge, esp. White Plains Road... People think it's tame... Only because the City FLOODS the main areas with cops... Plenty of drug activity up there... It's not all nice-y nice-y... Wakefield is a little better in that regard.

Just below 165th, I've seen some things right by the Evecutive Towers, so the area just above that... Ugh...
That's precisely where I'm talking about. 5-6 years ago I would have put Williamsbridge up there, but not any more. It's not as bad as that Concourse area.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-13-2019, 11:51 AM

325 posts, read 199,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Its very clear opinions are being said with no clue or using what the see on the evening news to cast judgement.

If you have never lived in these areas or spend time in these areas then you have no clue.....
There is a reason a Co-Ops in Mott Haven are going for $500,000
There is a reason all the empty lots are disappearing and they are now building commercial buildings and luxury apartments.
There is a reason you see more white folks in the SouthBronx when there are no Stadium events

Maybe 10 years ago i would agree but its changing
It’s very clear that you believe gentrification means safe , Mott haven is still very high in violent crime and has bad addiction in the area , recent articles say there was needles all over brook avenue and other streets and it’s a problem . But I admire your optimism, look at Mott haven as luxury if you want just because of new real estate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City